Nottingham Dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couevas

Reaction score
I used this for the first time this weekend. I live in Vegas and have to ship in my ingredients and have had bad luck shipping liquid yeast, so I am trying to convert recipes to dry styles.
I brewed Ed's Haus PA and the krauzen is a strange blue/grey color. (Strange, but pretty all the same :cross:)
Just wanted to share. Has anyone else seen strange high krauzen colors with dry yeast?

P.S. Before the RDWHAHB responses come, I am not worried. I like the color:mug:

I've used Nottingham many times and I haven't experienced krausen the color that you are describing. Maybe snap a pic of it so we can take a look?

I've used Nottingham many times and I haven't experienced krausen the color that you are describing. Maybe snap a pic of it so we can take a look?

+1...never had blue krausen with Notty for Ed's Haus or any other recipe. Did you leave some kind of cleaner/sanitzer in the fermenter?

Your post re-affirms my dedication to an Ale Pail and white lid. As long as the bubbler is going...I'm golden. I am glad that I can't see in...cause I'm pretty excitable.

Glad you like the colors though.:fro:

I've seem some very dark krausen from Notty. What you are describing doesn't seem abnormal at all.

Blue stuff on top of the beer? Maybe you've created

Last edited by a moderator:
Your post re-affirms my dedication to an Ale Pail and white lid. As long as the bubbler is going...I'm golden. I am glad that I can't see in...cause I'm pretty excitable.

Glad you like the colors though.:fro:

+1 I've never seen my kreuzen, but blue is my favorite color. Cool! :mug:

Did you by chance toss in yeast nutrients? I put a little too much into a batch once and the yeast had a greyish color, it had no effect on flavor at all.

Mine was on a liquid culture, but I imagine the same could be true for dry.

No yeast nutrient
No left-over chemicals
No difference over any other batch other than two things:

Used hard alcohol instead of water in airlock (cachasa--a brazilian vodka-like liquor made from sugar cane; clear and flavorless like vodka)
Used dry Nottingham yeast

Back