Nothing so far?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masterbaker

Reaction score
I put,
2 1/2 Gallons O.j. (no preservatives)
1 Gallon Maple Syrup
3 lbs S&h Brown Pure Cane Sugar
1 Packet activated Champagne yeast

All in the proper bucket, no bubbles so far, I'm 24hrs in.
did i do something wrong?:fro:

did i do something wrong?

Yes. Your tried to ferment orange juice.
vomit-smiley-007.gif

Breathe it all in !!

!!Warning Correct Advice!!

Please wait at least 72 hours before starting you frantic "did I mess up" rhetoric.

IB4IL

Masterbaker, I fear this is a troll post, but I pray to GOD you are actually trying to ferment that recipe!!!! If so, you sir, or madam, are my HERO!!!!!

Troll post? No, just looking for an easy cheep drink i can brew at my cabin for hunting season.:fro:

1. Apple Juice
2. Repeat step 1 until amount desired
3. Campaign yeast
4. Drink.

There--cheap, relatively strong, and not = vomit. :D

:p

There are easy cheap beverages to be made without them tasting like vomit. How about a nice hard cider?

Search; Graff, Apfelwein, Ciders, Beer, Wheat Beer,
See also Liquor store, Packaged Goods Store, and ABC Store.

Sorry to seem critical of you brew choice, But, Orange Juice is not a Preferred base for any fermented drink.

A simple search or even a Post/thread asking about a brew for what you are doing, can in the future prevent flaming or ridicule like what has been seen here.

-Jason

Search; Graff, Apfelwein, Ciders, Beer, Wheat Beer,
See also Liquor store, Packaged Goods Store, and ABC Store.

Sorry to seem critical of you brew choice, But, Orange Juice is not a Preferred base for any fermented drink.

A simple search or even a Post/thread asking about a brew for what you are doing, can in the future prevent flaming to ridicule like what has been seen here.

-Jason
Its ok to be wrong, I tryed and failed. I can always try again.
what apple juice should I use?
could not find any without Sodium benzonate.....
:fro:

Juicy Juice, Simply Apple, Mott's, Seneca are a few. It's OK to have ascoric acid just not sorbate.
Thank you, I'll dump the crap out and start new.

Mott's Has a frozen can at my store, ill use that.
Can I use extra sugar to up the proof?
If so, how much Sugar per gal.?
Should i add some raisins :fro:?

You can add sugar to increase the alcohol. A half pound or so a gallon would not be unusual. The more sugar you add the dryer your cider will end up.

There is plenty of nutrients for the yeast in apple juice without adding raisins but you certainly can if you like.

I've added things in various batches. One I put in some dried malt extract to give it a little body and another a little cinnamon.

You can add sugar to increase the alcohol. A half pound or so a gallon would not be unusual. The more sugar you add the dryer your cider will end up.

There is plenty of nutrients for the yeast in apple juice without adding raisins but you certainly can if you like.

I've added things in various batches. One I put in some dried malt extract to give it a little body and another a little cinnamon.
How much cinnamon?:fro:

Use stick cinnamon, not powdered, and start with one stick. You can always add more if its not enough but if you get too much you're stuck.

Thank you, I'll report back.

5 Gal. Apple juice,
2.5 Lbs. sugar
6 Oz. Raisins
1 Stick Cinnamon
1 pack Champagne yeast

Our new friend has seen the error of his ways. He is now on the right path so maybe we can add some helpful information on his new endeavor. :)

5 Gal. Apple juice,
2.5 Lbs. sugar
6 Oz. Raisins
1 Stick Cinnamon
1 pack Champagne yeast

Now your on the right track. I'm not familiar with the raisin idea so I can't comment on that, but all in all this looks fine. Keep us posted.

5 Gal. Apple juice,
2.5 Lbs. sugar
6 Oz. Raisins
1 Stick Cinnamon
1 pack Champagne yeast

That is a brew that I would gladly share a glass with 'ya.

I would have the cinamon on a bit of fishing line so you can remove it after a week or so.

-Jason

I don't know about everyone else, and I have never been in prison but I have had some pruno that tasted great, and some that tasted pretty bad. The only thing I have ever tried to ferment that always comes out just wrong is pineapple.
Next thing I know we will be looking down on people who use LME because the taste can be off.
Lets not be too stuck up here, but I agree I would prefer a good well aged cider or well made beer.

Next thing I know we will be looking down on people who use LME because the taste can be off.
Lets not be too stuck up here, but I agree I would prefer a good well aged cider or well made beer.

How exactly can you compare LME to orange juice? It's not about being stuck up, it's about helping folks avoid making something completely undrinkable. I'm all for experimenting, but there are some things you just plain don't want to do.

No, NEVER dump your beer/brew. You ferment that sucker out and give us a taste report ASAP!!! ;)

No dice, 5 days no action. No Co2 at all in orange mix.
dumped and started Apple recipe. waiting for Co2 bubbles.
keeping fingers crossed.

What is the best type of sugar to use?
raw? refined? organic? brown?

PB Jelly time :ban::fro:

Back