Not to spiced christmas beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustard

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals I'm really interested in doing a christmas brew. Would love to do a barley wine but assume i'm a little late for that. So was thinking about a spiced beer. Only thing is i'm not sure if I want to drink 5 gal of spiced beer. I normally like my beer tasting like beer. Now I will admit I haven't had alot of different spiced beer and the ones I have had are commercial beers. So probably garbage anyway:D. So would anyone have a simple recipe that would ease me into the way of the spiced beers?

Thanks alot!!!

Shawn

There are plenty of good ones in the database, and if I make one suggestion to help keep from "over-spicing" Belgian yeast strains work really well with dark grain bills?

looks good....but i'm trying to get away from the IPA's i've been brewing recentley

Holidays seem to want high alcohol and dark - not sure why. I guess it makes you feel warm, although served cold.

Try something simple. A couple of suggestions, I'm sure you can find recipes, or the community will help you craft one.

Belgian Dubbel. Maybe around 8 to 9%, with Special B, dark candi syrup, some orange peel, coriander, and paradise seeds, but make it subtle.

Robust Porter about 8%. You can do lots with this. Keep the roast/dark malts low (or not at all), with lots of chocolate malt and dark crystal. Licorice, vanilla, fruits (raspberry, cherries), cocoa, nibs, coffee, even peppers. Not suggesting using all these, just a select few.

Christmas Oatmeal Stout. Around 8%. Just a great Oatmeal Stout, and you are done, something like Rogue Shakespeare Stout. Or you could ruin it in keeping with the season and add some spices, fruit, coffee, or chocolate.

I usually try and brew a few high gravity great beers, that are not hoppy since I brew them all year. But this year I admit I have several variations of Porter to use up lots of fruit I collected over the year; Raspberry and Coffee, Raspberry and Chocolate, Cherry and Chocolate, Bourbon and Oak. Vanilla and Coffee - around 2.5 gallons of each.

Hey guys and gals I'm really interested in doing a christmas brew. Would love to do a barley wine but assume i'm a little late for that. So was thinking about a spiced beer. Only thing is i'm not sure if I want to drink 5 gal of spiced beer. I normally like my beer tasting like beer. Now I will admit I haven't had alot of different spiced beer and the ones I have had are commercial beers. So probably garbage anyway:D. So would anyone have a simple recipe that would ease me into the way of the spiced beers?

Thanks alot!!!

Shawn

if you don't think you want 5 gallons of spiced beer, why make 5 gallons. Try making a 2 gallon batch. You can use the same boil pot and fermenter, just scale down the ingredients.

Why can't you do a barleywine? You have plenty of time, Uh...that's assuming you mean Christmas of 2016 or 2017.:D

Back