Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work in MD with a bunch of O's fans and they're shocked and appalled by what the Red Sox are doing. Especially when you consider just how anemic league-wide hitting has been this year, the Red Sox are doing something special. As the fan of another over-performing team, the Giants, I've got to say that what the Red Sox are doing is more impressive.

Pfft. It takes way more skill and talent to lose in the creative ways that the twins have been able to this season than it is to just win ball games.

But seriously, Devers is a beast. I would have figured the sox would be down for several more seasons without betts, but yikes.

Sox win on Saturday Night Baseball In America [blah blah blah] in a stupid interleague game vs Philly (I hate interleague games).
The announcers were totally Philly's fans though, and when the last out was scored you could feel the air get completely let out of the production :D
Eff 'em. Next time play it straight and you won't be so obviously disappointed in public....

You don't see this every game :D
Note - there were two outs! All the first baseman had to do is touch the damned bag!

My wife showed me that yesterday. I've watched a lot of baseball on pretty much every level possible, and I have never seen that play out in my life. Fantastic thinking on Baez part.

Tampa Bay slipped past the Sox in the standings

Title Town. What else would you expect from Tampa Bay Rays :) (I think this is where any Boston fan worth his salt asks me to count the Rays world series rings).

1623702729140.png

1623702709255.png

Indeed, he was a mini stud totally immersed in the game, and his end was too early - that's the sad part.
I don't know that his stats will put him in The Hall, but he earned the respect of the league, and that may be more important.
I mean, there are some real dickheads in The Hall, ffs...

Indeed, he was a mini stud totally immersed in the game, and his end was too early - that's the sad part.
I don't know that his stats will put him in The Hall, but he earned the respect of the league, and that may be more important.
I mean, there are some real dickheads in The Hall, ffs...
He will definitely be in the Red Sox HoF but as for Cooperstown, unfortunately, I think he's going to be one of those borderline players. As long as he stays on the ballot I could see him taking his whole 10 years to get in... if he gets in by voting. I could see the Veterans Committee putting him in.

That is a damned shame. 106 yrs after conception. I really don't understand it. Certainly, teams name themselves out of an awesome respect for the thing. Rays, lightning, bears, eagles, etc.

What about Atlanta Braves? Florida State Seminoles? What about every city that was named after an indian tribe? Alabama, Iowa, Kansas are names of indian tribes. And another 20 states are named after indian words. 26 States That Were Named By Native Americans, Was Your State?

Unbunch your panties. Calling native americans "indians" was a historical error from the jump.
Exploiting that for hundreds of years is just adding insult to error...

Cheers!

Eh. Redskins is one thing. Indians is another. They did the right thing by getting rid of chief wahoo a few years ago. But renaming the team? I guess I don’t care either way, but it seems overkill.

So...this is the worst tv coverage of any sporting event since "Heidi". Unfrickenbelievably aggravating commercial breaks outta nowhere. What the actual hell is going on?

I hope the sportswriters around the globe light the MLB Network on fire. Sheesh...

Last edited:
I’m pulling for the rays to manage the comeback. I’ve always really enjoyed their teams when they were playing well. Plus I’d love to see Cruz go out as a champion. Oh, and I can’t stand the Red Sox. Arrrggghhhhh!

Most likely accurate. Sox have a hell of a line up, but I’m probably one of the few yankee haters that considers the yanks to be the lesser of two evils in that WC game last week. I’m a twins fan, I’ll never forget how terrible Ortiz was before we gave him away.

Id have never thoughtBoston would be as good as they are so quickly after dishing betts. Devers is ridiculously talented and feels somehow overlooked and under appreciated outside of Massachusetts.

Why give him second base? Keep the double play in action. And why pitch middle in? Miss low and away 4 pitches and let devers beat you (which he probably will) with it loaded and at least still have the double play there.

My wife says I’m definitely getting old for how much I ***** about baseball.

So much awesome happens here! It is so cool to see so many young kids on the team contributing to this journey and having fun!
Now I just hope the playing-wounded can heal up for the conference championship series...

[edit] Between a successful Boston Marathon today, the win tonight (and last night) and the ridiculous Patriots win on Sunday this has been a pretty decent week for us Massholes :D

Last edited:
So much awesome happens here! It is so cool to see so many young kids on the team contributing to this journey and having fun!
Now I just hope the playing-wounded can heal up for the conference championship series...

[edit] Between a successful Boston Marathon today, the win tonight (and last night) and the ridiculous Patriots win on Sunday this has been a pretty decent week for us Massholes :D
Not to mention there's a lot to like about the B's and C's for the seasons starting soon, and the Revs with the best record in MLS.

Back