not quite sure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langer

Reaction score
so i did my first all grain on friday.
the mash, sparge, and everything went well i think, the wort tasted sweet.
boil went smooth, even cooled it with my new chiller.
moved it into the fermenter friday evening pitched the yeast at about 70 degrees. maybe could've been a little more oxygenated. but i did it the same as other brews...how long should it take for the yeast to get going?
O.G. was 1.060 at 70deg.
it has a funny smell also...

what he said. itsbnot uncommon for a 24 to 48 hr lag. what u used will make a difference.

I'm thinking you're getting a little lag time and a sulfur kickback from the early stages of fermentation.

this was my first attempt in AG does it normally take longer for AG than partial or simple extract brewing?

All grain or extract shouldn't make a difference. You didn't make a starter and there is just some lag time.

Not necessarily. However each time will be different, as you're dealing with living organisms. They work on their own timetable.

Next time you use liquid yeast, it will help speed things along if you make a starter to jumpstart the yeast.

Back