Not New but new to Fresh/Frozen Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBadger

Reaction score
A Buddy of mine gave me a couple quarts of fresh leaf hops that had been frozen. I used a IPA/DIPA recipe I have used in the past with pellets and worked well. I substituted frozen hops for pellets 1 to 1. Surprise it didn't work, don't know if harvested wrong, frozen to long, or what, but my questions is can you add a Dry hop to a brew after it has been crashed and carb'd. What was suppose to be a strong IPA tastes more like Coors (but over 7%). Any help or suggestions would be appreciated......

Dan

If the hops were frozen wet, and not dried, you will need about 5 times more.

Lots of people dry-hop after crashing but I've only seen hopping after carb'd done through a Randall-type device. My guess is it can be done, but expect massive foaming. I would bag the hops up with a weight, put keg lube on the lid, have the keg lid in the mouth and ready to just pull up and seal while someone else throws the hops in. I'd also do this in an area you can hose down afterwards just in case...

+1, fresh to dried is definitely not a 1:1 ratio...that beer is under-hopped for sure. I've never tried adding hops after conditioning. I'm assuming it's kegged. I'd release the pressure in the keg, then let it sit for an hour or so and repeat. After a couple times doing that, remove the lid and slowly insert the bag as BlueBadger indicated. Put the lid back on put it back on CO2. Hopefully getting rid of some CO2 before adding the bad will help reduce foaming.

Even whole leaf to pellet hops isn't a 1:1 ratio - I think it's 10 or 20 percent off, with pellet being more efficient. But also depending on how the hops were treated before freezing, and how well sealed they were, (and how old they are) they may have lost some of their IBUs.

Best time to use hop cones is within 24hrs of harvest. The longer hop cones are stored the more resin and esstenial oils the lupulin glands lose. I am not sure what the ratio would have been but defiantly more than 1:1

Latest posts

Back