Not Lagering Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knecht_Rupprecht

Reaction score
So it is the time of year when my (poorly insulated) basement stays a steady 48-50 degrees. For my next few batches I'm planning to use lager yeast to accommodate the cool temps. That said I don't have any means to truly later after fermentation is complete.

With that in mind if I try for traditional lagers like a Maerzen or Dunkel will the flavors be too off? My other thought was making beers that I would typically use US-05. My thinking being that the layer yeast would still be relatively clean and in the background.

Any input welcome.

Sure you do- you have a refrigerator, don't you? Just bottle your beer and then toss your bottles into the fridge for the appropriate amount of time. You can carbonate them before or after lagering.

You could try steam yeast, otherwise beer can be lagered at 50, it just takes longer. But I bet if your fermentation was done at traditional temps you'd be off to a good start.

You could try steam yeast, otherwise beer can be lagered at 50, it just takes longer. But I bet if your fermentation was done at traditional temps you'd be off to a good start.

Yes as mentioned here you can do the traditional secondary lager time at cellar temps it just takes longer. Probably two months after primary would work, with storage at 38 or below probably one month.

Back