Not impressed with BRU-1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerstein

Reaction score
I got a bag of BRU-1 on black Friday to try. Brewed a SMASH with it to learn the BRU-1 flavor. I double dry hopped it, using copious amounts.

I've got to say I'm not impressed. It's not a bad hop, but I like others a lot more. I think Lemondrop has much more interesting flavor than BRU-1.

Am I nuts? Flame on.

I did a smash as well and I thought it was interesting. Interesting enough to make a neipa combining it with Sabro to make a really interesting beer. Notes of pineapple, stonefruit, a little coconut with a creaminess to it that got some positive comments at my homebrew club.

I didnt get pineapple from my smash. I used the rest of my BRU with mosaic to make a WC IPA. I liked that a lot more than the smash.

I just finished drinking a west coast IPA with BRU-1 and Harlequin. Neither is in-your-face fruity, and I think I was a little underhopped as a result. Definite pineapple notes, though, and very pleasant overall. Can’t tell you whether that was the BRU-1, the Harlequin, or both. Trying it again soon with about 50% more hops; looking forward to it.

Same, not a fan at all. Probably good in small amounts, but can quickly overpower other hops. For me it’s like a super earthy, dank pineapple.

Back