not enough gas in my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have made 2 mixes a coopers draught and lager but there is not enough gas in the beer, the draught got 1 kg of dextrose and lager got white suger.
Both got white suger when bottling which i used a measurer bought new gromets for airlocks but still not enough gas, followed the instructions but put in 2litres of water less so the mix was done with 21 litres temp at 25-29 for 5 days.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

How long and at what temperature have the bottles been conditioning? Typically, bottle carbonation takes 3-4 weeks.

i have a layer in the bottles but i think that is the suger i put in when priming?
but hey what do i know, it does look like a sludge type material. please help!

How much sugar did you put in? How did you add it? What kind of bottles are you using?

After you prime your brew and bottle you need to let the bottles sit in about 70F for a couple of weeks.

Once the carbonation level is to your liking THEN you put the bottles in a cold place; i.e., the fridge/garage (in winter).

Using 800ml Long Neck Bottles And Added Using Suger Measurer And Basicily Added A Little Bit More As The Measurer Is Made For 750ml Bottles

Did I read right? 25 degrees? If so, the temp is WAAAY to low for the bottle to carbonate. they need to be at about 68-72 degrees for a minimum of 2 weeks, more like 3-4 weeks for proper carbonation. Once they are carbonated to your liking, then move them to a cooler place for storage and aging.

RLinNH said:
Did I read right? 25 degrees? If so, the temp is WAAAY to low for the bottle to carbonate.

Surprise! The rest of the world (5 billion people or so) uses the metric system.

25*C is about 77*F which is more than warm enough.

Probably just needs more time to fully carbonate.

You primed with table sugar instead of dextrose(glucose). This works, but it takes longer.
Did you prime with dry sugar or a sugar solution? If dry sugar, it will take even longer to condition as the sugar will have to dissolve before being consumed by the yeast.
Most people prime by dissolving the priming sugar in a little water (say 1/2 liter), and boiling for 15 minutes. Then cool it, add to the bottling bucket, rack the beer into the bucket, stir, and bottle.
My guess is that you just need to leave it a bit longer - say another three or four weeks.

-a.

If you have a layer of yeast in your bottles, it should just be a matter of time.

When you prime with dry sugar (as I no longer do thanks to advice from this forum), you need to give the bottles a bit of a shake after capping to dissolve the sugar.

Give them a couple more weeks and they should be fine...

RLinNH said:
Did I read right? 25 degrees? If so, the temp is WAAAY to low for the bottle to carbonate. they need to be at about 68-72 degrees for a minimum of 2 weeks, more like 3-4 weeks for proper carbonation. Once they are carbonated to your liking, then move them to a cooler place for storage and aging.

Unless he means 25 degrees Celcius ... opps just read the post above ;-)

Latest posts

Back