New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious if any of y'all have tried dry hopping in the fermenter below 40F and how it worked out for you.
I have a batch right now that I just dry hopped in the fermenter at normal temps. In a few days I’m going to crash it down to 42, which is the serving temp of my keezer. Im then going to transfer it into a purged keg that has a second dry hop suspended in a mesh bag. So it will be going in at serving temp and extracting at 42. I’ll let you know how it goes. This is from BSG:
23584315-4A43-47FF-8A13-89B27A83F9F1.png

Wife is giving me tomorrow to brew so looks like I’ll be doing a two beer day, one of which will be a NEIIPA.

grainbill
70% Pilsner
20% white wheat
10% oat malt.

mash 151/2*f
Yeast : imperial - juice
Target og 1.078
Target fg 1.014

hops
25* ibus from boil (Columbus or magnum)

whirlpool (choosing one of the three)

Opt 1) Riwaka & Cascade 1:1
Opt 2) Columbus & Summit 1:1
Opt 3) Galaxy & Nelson 2:1

dryhop
Nelson & Galaxy 2:1

Last edited:
Wife is giving me tomorrow to brew so looks like I’ll be doing two beer day, one if which will be a NEIIPA.

grainbill
70% Pilsner
20% white wheat
10% oat malt.

mash 151/2*f
Target og 1.078
Target fg 1.014

hops

dryhop
I would skip the wp fancy additions go for opt) 2

Wife is giving me tomorrow to brew so looks like I’ll be doing two beer day, one if which will be a NEIIPA.

grainbill
70% Pilsner
20% white wheat
10% oat malt.

mash 151/2*f
Target og 1.078
Target fg 1.014

hops

dryhop

The safe bet would be option 2. I have stopped using Galaxy and Nelson on the hot side after reading this thread. Option 1 would be more explorative for me.

grainbill
70% Pilsner
20% white wheat
10% oat malt.

mash 151/2*f
Target og 1.078
Target fg 1.014

hops

dryhop

I dig option 1 for some smooth earthy notes. Mixed in with Nelson, you might get some white grape out of that Riwaka as well, I always get hints of it from that hop. Oddly similar to Nelson in a way.

What's the other beer being brewed here?

I dig option 1 for some smooth earthy notes. Mixed in with Nelson, you might get some white grape out of that Riwaka as well, I always get hints of it from that hop. Oddly similar to Nelson in a way.

What's the other beer being brewed here?
Number 1 is the only whirlpool I’ve yet to use in a beer. 2 and 3 both work really well in my opinion, so I’ll prob make the final decision tomorrow when I open some bags and see how they smell.

the second beer is going to be a Mexican hot chocolate inspired imperial milk stout, with cocoa nibs, coffee, vanilla beans, and cinnamon.

Last edited:
Number 1 is the only whirlpool I’ve yet to use in a beer. 2 and 3 both work really well in my opinion, so I’ll prob make the final decision tomorrow when I open some bags and see how they smell.

the second beer is going to be a Mexican hot chocolate inspired imperial milk stout, with cocoa nibs, coffee, vanilla beans, and cinnamon.

what yeast are you using for the imperial stout? i'm making a brown ale tomorrow with Denny's Favorite and will pitch the yeast cake into a 12G batch of imperial stout. I love Denny's in stout. It's so thick and creamy.

I made an NEIPA with 30% oats. It came out way better then I expected.

unnamed.jpg

Oat NEIPA
New England IPA
6.2% / 15.2 °P

All Grain
Anvil Foundry 6.5 Gallon
72% efficiency
Batch Volume: 3 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Mash Water: 4.44 gal
Total Water: 4.44 gal
Boil Volume: 3.99 gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.053
Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU (Tinseth): 24
Color: 4.7 SRM

Mash
Strike Temp — 159.8 °F
Temperature — 153 °F60 min
Malts (7 lb 4 oz)
4 lb 14.9 oz (63.6%) — Viking Malt 2-Row Xtra Pale Malt — Grain — 1.8 °L
11.6 oz (9.4%) — Simpsons Oats Golden Naked — Grain — 7.3 °L
11.6 oz (9.4%) — Simpsons Oats Malted — Grain — 1.7 °L
11.6 oz (9.4%) — Oats, Flaked — Grain — 1.3 °L
2.3 oz (1.9%) — Weyermann Acidulated — Grain — 1.9 °L
Other (8 oz)
8 oz (6.5%) — Briess Rice Hulls — Adjunct — 0 °L
Hops (5.99 oz)
1 oz (10 IBU) — BRU-1 15.7% — Aroma — 20 min hopstand
1 oz
(6 IBU) — Centennial 10% — Aroma — 20 min hopstand
1 oz
(9 IBU) — Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) 13.7% — Aroma — 20 min hopstand
1 oz
— BRU-1 15.7% — Dry Hop — 3 days
1 oz
— Citra 12.7% — Dry Hop — 3 days
1 oz
— Simcoe 13.2% — Dry Hop — 3 days

Hopstand at 170.6 °F
Miscs
4.7 g — Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash
1.6 g
— Epsom Salt (MgSO4) — Mash
1.7 g
— Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash
0.5 items
— Whirlfloc — Boil10 min
1 g
— Yeast Nutrients — Boil10 min
Yeast
1 pkg — Omega OYL-004 West Coast Ale I 76.5%
1.4 L starter
4.87 oz DME / 5.93 oz LME
100 billion cells overbuild: 0.5 L (36%)
Pitch Amount: 0.9 L
billion yeast cells
1.05 million cells / ml / °P
Fermentation
Primary — 68 °F12 days
Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol
Water Profile
Ca 101 Mg 9 Na 8 Cl 139 SO 94

Few bits and pieces from Stan Hieronymus' latest newsletter :

Kiwi brewer on Nectaron (fka Hort 4337) " It’s a truly amazing aromatic hop, just fantastic. We’ve late-hopped and dry hopped with it and it oozes stone fruit – it’s just peachy. I haven’t experienced anything like this hop since Nelson Sauvin came out. It should make a big international impact. "

The Aussies have named HPA-016, Eclipse : "I guess it’s something a little bit different to Galaxy in terms of it’s got plenty of fruity hop but it has also got this spice to it, which just gives it another dimension,” he said. “I think it will work well in that NEIPA style, I think it will work well in most pale ales, and it might also work pretty well in a hoppy pilsner or something like that – in anything where you’re looking for some fruity characters."

Hopsteiner have announced Lupulin, their equivalent of LupoMax/Cryo, available for Bravo, Calypso, Comet, Lemondrop, Lotus (X06297 - supposedly "waves of orange and vanilla followed by notes of candied grape and tropical fruit aromas") and Sultana (formerly Denali/X06277).

Hopfen, the German annual review, is now out.

Kiwi brewer on Nectaron (fka Hort 4337) " It’s a truly amazing aromatic hop, just fantastic. We’ve late-hopped and dry hopped with it and it oozes stone fruit – it’s just peachy. I haven’t experienced anything like this hop since Nelson Sauvin came out. It should make a big international impact. "

The Aussies have named HPA-016, Eclipse : "I guess it’s something a little bit different to Galaxy in terms of it’s got plenty of fruity hop but it has also got this spice to it, which just gives it another dimension,” he said. “I think it will work well in that NEIPA style, I think it will work well in most pale ales, and it might also work pretty well in a hoppy pilsner or something like that – in anything where you’re looking for some fruity characters."

Hopsteiner have announced Lupulin, their equivalent of LupoMax/Cryo, available for Bravo, Calypso, Comet, Lemondrop, Lotus (X06297 - supposedly "waves of orange and vanilla followed by notes of candied grape and tropical fruit aromas") and Sultana (formerly Denali/X06277).

the oil content on the sultana and bravo is nuts, 3.9-6.9 and 3.0-6.0 respectively.

Nectaron is amazing. Best NZ hop outside of Nelson (which I still prefer) bit it also seems to be better quality at the homebrew level than Nelson.

Eclipse is weird. The Orange/Nectarine quality is pretty intense however equally as intense is the anise/licorice flavor. Which to me is really off putting. The flavor is really strong licorice and has that typical Aussie hop rough/harshness to it.

Never had a hop from Hopsteiner I really liked. Sultana is Ok, Lotus is straight up gross. Like you added sunscreen so a beer, even more so than Sabro.

the oil content on the sultana and bravo is nuts, 3.9-6.9 and 3.0-6.0 respectively.
They are def pretty good but since these are T45 pellets, I think that’s within the typical range

Last edited:
They are def pretty good but since these are T45 pellets, I think that’s within the typical range

you would think, but look at the lemondrop, the low is .7. I get that its a lower oil hop but for concentrated product you'd expect that to be much higher as well.

also, you had commented earlier that Cryo and T45 were the same, but is that actually the case? do we even have t45 available to us? Granted i do consider lupomax more like T45 than cryo

you would think, but look at the lemondrop, the low is .7. I get that its a lower oil hop but for concentrated product you'd expect that to be much higher as well.

also, you had commented earlier that Cryo and T45 were the same, but is that actually the case? do we even have t45 available to us? Granted i do consider lupomax more like T45 than cryo
They are the same. Cryo, LUPOMAX, and this all seem to be t45, so they have nearly double the concentration of oils as traditional t90 pellets

Last edited:
My third attempt at Citrus/I7/Strata. This is my favorite compared to first two. This is about 7weeks post kegging and still great aroma and flavor. Kind of surprised the keg is still alive to be honest. One of my favorite hop combos still. Its got an OAT IPA type grain bill which gives an awesome mouthfeel but still doesn't get in the way of the flavors. Tropical/orange flavor with great dank accents but not overwhelming. Love it.

Attachments

• IMG_8511.jpg
    IMG_8511.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8512.jpg
    IMG_8512.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8513.jpg
    IMG_8513.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 41
They are the same. Cryo, LUPOMAX, and this all seem to be t45, so they have nearly double the concentration of oils as traditional t90 pellets

Before i get into it, I now agree that in today's usage Cryo is effectively the same as T45

I did some quick research just now (since i had never seen t45 marketed to homebrewers) seems that T45 was primarily targeted at high alpha "bittering" hops and reducing absorption loss at the commercial level. (you and I have had several messages about why similar products, Flow and Incognito may not be useful to homebrewers since our "loss" really doesn't matter much).

I didn't see reference to what varieties they were, but perhaps these were "bittering" hops we would be comfortable throwing in much later in the process now (like Columbus, Bravo, etc).

I found a Barth Haas sheet from 2014 describing T45, predating Lupomax by quite a bit (though perhaps research took a while).

More interesting though was a post on probrewer from a YCH rep in response to the question if T45 and LupoLN2 (cryo) were the same.

"First, it is important to note that LupuLN2® is offered in both powder and pellet form. In some cases, T45 pellets can be very similar to LupuLN2® pellets, however, the process of production and resulting product is more standardized. T45 is a process for making enriched hop pellets by the mechanical concentration of lupulin. The '45' originally comes from achieving a 45% weight yield, however, T45 is not a standardized process and can be used to make a range of concentrations by separating the lupulin through a series of sifters (usually 3), then blending back bract to hit a yield or alpha target. LupuLN2® is a more straight forward process with one sifter pass followed by pelleting without re-dilution with bract. LupuLN2® powder separation and pellet production both occur at low temperatures within an oxygen-rich atmosphere to avoid oxidation."

https://discussions.probrewer.com/f...product-line-with-lupuln2-and-debittered-leaf
I think don't think she meant "o2-rich" i think she mispoke, but otherwise it does show there is a manufacturing difference between the two.

Lastly, perhaps LupoMax is exactly T45, including mixing back the bract material, or perhaps it is the same mechanical process but without the remixing. I think the most critical part of Lupo is the year to year consistency they claim. Granted I didnt buy any 2019, I am planning to buy some 2020 when they come out, as YVH has many more varieties listed now, more in line with what is available in standard Cryo today. I'll have to lean on you and other experience with the 2019 vs 2020 to see if the claim is true.

I tried my first beer with Nectaron yesterday, it's quite a tasty hop. Hop Butcher - Interocean, brewed with Nectaron alongside Mosaic. Overall there were some massive mango/Trader Joe's dried mango flavors.

Aroma: Big candied mango and cantaloupe, hint of pine.
Flavor: Liquified dried mangos. Some slight fresh cut grass notes, followed by mango and very ripe cantaloupe. What a crazy hop and combo. I'll definitely try brewing with it once it goes back in stock. Beer is 5/5, but a tad too sweet for me as these guys use a little lactose.

Edit: Some other cool news coming out of Omega, they're introducing two new yeasts geared toward ester-forward beers. They basically took existing strains (Hefe and Belgian ale) and took out the phenolic characteristics (clove and such), leaving bananas and fruit in place. Craft Yeast for Craft Brews | Omega Yeast

fcf38e288b1be764be9a1634407aa2ed_raw.jpg

Last edited:
Wife is giving me tomorrow to brew so looks like I’ll be doing a two beer day, one of which will be a NEIIPA.

grainbill
70% Pilsner
20% white wheat
10% oat malt.

mash 151/2*f
Target og 1.078
Target fg 1.014

hops

dryhop
So I did end up going with option 1. As I went through my hops I found I had some cascade cryo so I figured I’d use it up. Brew day it self went good but I had a miserable time with yeast that is actually a sad, but funny story.

I planed on using a g3 LAIII pitch, that was top cropped from my last ipa about two months ago. I washed it and then put it in 4 oz mason jars. Night before brew day, I figured I’d split the yeast up and over build a starter with one and then do a small active pitch starter for beer. Woke up the next day and the starters did not take off (most likely low viability). So that was clearly a no go on brew day. As panic stepped in, I realized I had 2 packs of lalbrew NEW England and decided to make a quick 8 oz starter to rehydrate and activate the yeast.

So I make the starter and set it by the heater warped in the towel. As I’m mashing in and weighing out my sparge water addition I hear a loud crash and my 20 month year old son say “oh no, broke”.... I run over there and he is standing against the wall, holding the towel with yeast slurry all over his pants and the floor. The starter jar maybe has 2 oz of liquid left in it. And there went plan B lol

Now I figure I’m **** out of luck, I’m already 30 mins into the mash and I’m out of yeast. I text a buddy who live 5 mins away, @BrewMan13 , to see if he has any yeast tht would work but no luck lol. Brain storm for a bit and then come up with this solution. After brewing the ipa I was brewing an imperial milk stout so I do have 2 packs of us 05 for that beer (og 1.108) and I still had a can of Proper in the beer fridge(a premade starter brand). So I decide to use the remaining 2 oz of slurry that didn’t hit the floor with 1/2 a pack of US05 and the make 2 active starters, one for the us05/lalbrew NE and then one for the stout with the 1.5 packs of us05 for the stout.

Well it def was my best solution because both beers had krausen 6 hours after the pitch and have been beautifully fermenting since and both are most likely at fg. Def one of the most stressful brew days I’ve had in a really long time and even though the ipa is far different than planned, the gravity sample tasted solid. Looking forward to seeing if I actually pulled this one off.

What hops are best to use for a 10-minute boil addition to get good impact? (people on here have talked about doing a 10-minute addition and I want to try it for a few brews - tried mosaic/summit/eureka today for fun)

What hops other than the ones on the "survivables" yakima chief chart have people had great success using in the hop stand? I would add Eureka to their list.

What hops are best to use for a 10-minute boil addition to get good impact? (people on here have talked about doing a 10-minute addition and I want to try it for a few brews - tried mosaic/summit/eureka today for fun)

What hops other than the ones on the "survivables" yakima chief chart have people had great success using in the hop stand? I would add Eureka to their list.
I think this is going to be a preference thing for everyone but I just love citra, Columbus, cascade, mosaic, summit, bravo, nugget, strata, and simcoe all on the hotside.

*edit* I left off Riwaka and Sabro which I really have enjoyed in whirlpools mixed with danker hops

Last edited:
kyF5Vn8.jpg

My latest batch, a "kitchen sink NEIPA". Usually I'll use 2 or 3 hops, this time I went for 7 just for fun. I chose Simcoe, CTZ, and Mosaic on the hot side after reading Janish's survivables article. I like the idea of getting "danker base" to build off of, and save the brighter fruitier stuff for the dry hop.

The result is great, but not better or more complex as any other NEIPA I've made, even compared to a classic Citra/Mosaic combo. Lots of pineapple, mango, grapefruit, some nice dankness. My takeaway is if I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of random 2 oz bags, this is a good way to do it but I'll probably stick more to the 2 to 3 hop combos.

This grain bill was also new to me, I wanted to try lower protein in combo with the more potent hops like Idaho 7 and Strata to see if it would be drinkable sooner (less hop burn). I don't think it saved much time, peaking around 4 weeks from kegging. I'll stick with the grain bill in the original recipe, better color and mouthfeel.

17.5 lb 2 row
0.25 lb Honey malt

0.5 oz Warrior (19 IBU)
1 oz Simcoe 10 min (12 IBU)
1 oz CTZ 0 min
2 oz Mosaic whirlpool (30 min at 170)
1 oz CTZ whirlpool (30 min at 170)
1 oz Simcoe whirlpool (30 min at 170)
2 oz Amarillo dry hop #1
2 oz Citra dry hop #1
2 oz Idaho 7 dry hop #2
2 oz Strata dry hop #2

Whirlfloc 10 min
Yeast nutrient 10 min

Imperial Juice gen 2

Riwaka/Citra NEPA.

5.3%. 80/12/8 Simpsons Golden promise/Rahr white wheat/simpsons GNO. All whirlpool/dry hop. Total of a 2:1 ratio of Riwaka to Citra. Slightly heavier Citra whirlpool, slightly heavier Riwaka dry hop. Lallemand Verdant.

Aroma is honeydew melon/mango/grapefruit/grassy. Flavor is resiny grapefruit, light melon and light mango. It’s got a slight nuttiness from the GNO and it’s still a little chalky from the polyphenols from the Riwaka dry hop (even at at 5 weeks). You get a little of the verdant vanilla note in the background.

Verdant definitely makes a super soft beer. It’s definitely one of the easiest/most pleasant dry yeasts I’ve ever worked with. I will definitely be using it again.

Overall, fantastic beer. Next time, I would do 4% GNO and 4%C10/C20 to cut down that nuttiness just a smidge.
CA7616B3-3AE1-45E8-ABEE-969329DC92B6.jpeg

Haven’t posted much lately but here’s one that I just carbed up. Both pictures are the same beer taken about 2 minutes apart.
6E1E3358-B552-40D3-82B0-97C847B14BD3.jpeg
3D69681F-E01A-4C76-9BCD-1CD0A4C1BA6F.jpeg
This is an all Citra double ipa in which I deviated from my normal practices. There are no hot side hops at all. I added 2 oz. of Citra Lupomax and 4 oz Citra pellets at the same time as pitching the yeast. Once fermentation had finished, I soft crashed to 56, then transferred into a fermentation purged keg with 4 oz of Citra Lupomax and 4 oz of Citra pellets suspended in a nylon bag. I added about 5psi head pressure and let it sit at room temp for 48 hours. (Slowly rising up to about 66-68)

I then put the keg in my chest freezer and let it cool down to serving temp, which is 42, and have had it sitting there for a few days with the keg hops still in. I used to do this all the time and I’m going to leave them in there for the entirety of the keg.

I’m extremely pleased with the flavor and aroma so far and anticipate it only getting better as it conditions more.

Haven’t posted much lately but here’s one that I just carbed up. Both pictures are the same beer taken about 2 minutes apart.
View attachment 707699View attachment 707700This is an all Citra double ipa in which I deviated from my normal practices. There are no hot side hops at all. I added 2 oz. of Citra Lupomax and 4 oz Citra pellets at the same time as pitching the yeast. Once fermentation had finished, I soft crashed to 56, then transferred into a fermentation purged keg with 4 oz of Citra Lupomax and 4 oz of Citra pellets suspended in a nylon bag. I added about 5psi head pressure and let it sit at room temp for 48 hours. (Slowly rising up to about 66-68)

I then put the keg in my chest freezer and let it cool down to serving temp, which is 42, and have had it sitting there for a few days with the keg hops still in. I used to do this all the time and I’m going to leave them in there for the entirety of the keg.

I’m extremely pleased with the flavor and aroma so far and anticipate it only getting better as it conditions more.
Looks great!!
Question - were the hops in the keg as you “fermentation purged” it, or added later? If later what is your process for opening the lid and adding the hops, while at the same time minimizing oxygen? I’m going to try purging a keg with CO2 produced from fermentation but was wondering about keg hopping.

Looks great!!
Question - were the hops in the keg as you “fermentation purged” it, or added later? If later what is your process for opening the lid and adding the hops, while at the same time minimizing oxygen? I’m going to try purging a keg with CO2 produced from fermentation but was wondering about keg hopping.
Thank you! The hops are in the keg for the duration of fermentation. I hang the nylon bag with unwaxed/unflavored dental floss from the keg handle. This way the fermenter never gets opened, and neither does the keg, provided you have the ability to do closed transfers.

I used to do this method all the time but stopped for some reason, and now I’m kicking myself wondering why. Yes, you will lose efficiency/hop utilization by bagging them, so I just add a bit more than I normally would to make up for it.

Also, the fermentation hops are totally optional. I just decided to play around with it since I haven’t done that in quite a while as well.

Thank you! The hops are in the keg for the duration of fermentation. I hang the nylon bag with unwaxed/unflavored dental floss from the keg handle. This way the fermenter never gets opened, and neither does the keg, provided you have the ability to do closed transfers.

I used to do this method all the time but stopped for some reason, and now I’m kicking myself wondering why. Yes, you will lose efficiency/hop utilization by bagging them, so I just add a bit more than I normally would to make up for it.

Also, the fermentation hops are totally optional. I just decided to play around with it since I haven’t done that in quite a while as well.

Do you take steps to relieve pressure on your FV? I'm currently trying this method for the first time & have a small concern that I allowed too much pressure on the fermenting beer.

Do you have more flavor this way ( no hot side hops )? I could understand aroma but I'm always curious how much flavor you got with a 0 hot side hops. (yes I saw scott janish exp)
It looks very tasty btw :)

Do you take steps to relieve pressure on your FV? I'm currently trying this method for the first time & have a small concern that I allowed too much pressure on the fermenting beer.
I don’t. I ferment in a fermonster with a ball lock post inserted into the lid. I run a piece of tubing from the lid into a qd attached to the keg with the hops already suspended inside. There is another qd attached to the other keg post that runs a tube down into a jug of sanitizer. So any pressure that builds up in the fermenter just goes into the keg, and out the other side down into the jug of sanitizer, all the while purging the oxygen from the keg. I haven’t had any issues with too much pressure anywhere. There’s very little resistance anywhere preventing the co2 from escaping.

Do you have more flavor this way ( no hot side hops )? I could understand aroma but I'm always curious how much flavor you got with a 0 hot side hops. (yes I saw scott janish exp)
It’s hard to say. I’d say 95-98% of every hoppy beer I’ve ever made has had late kettle and whirlpool additions. This is something new I’m trying but I will say this one definitely seems to have plenty of flavor. There’s definitely no noticeable difference to my palette at least. We’ll see as it ages though.

👍Easy enough solution, I'll do this next time.

I'm very interested in what you did with this beer. I've been curious about the flavor contribution of dry hopping during active fermentation. I'm aware that the aroma contribution is relatively weak. Someone referenced Topling Goliath's supposed practice of adding biotrans hops in this thread or the Treehouse yeast thread and I've been thinking about essentially doing what you just reported. Good work.

👍Easy enough solution, I'll do this next time.

I'm very interested in what you did with this beer. I've been curious about the flavor contribution of dry hopping during active fermentation. I'm aware that the aroma contribution is relatively weak. Someone referenced Topling Goliath's supposed practice of adding biotrans hops in this thread or the Treehouse yeast thread and I've been thinking about essentially doing what you just reported. Good work.
It’s definitely an interesting thought. When I first started making these beers I always did the bio transformation hopping, and tried it several different ways. It just seemed that that was the way you were supposed to do things. Then as I got a little bit more experienced, and read this thread in depth, I pretty much stopped doing it entirely. For the past year or two I’ve strictly been doing no fermentation hops at all, and then dry hopping at the tail end of fermentation or doing a soft crash and then hopping after that.

In a way, I do feel like the large charge of dry hops added at the same time as the yeast, does add a fair amount of flavor to the beer. It obviously isn’t going to add much aroma because all of that is being blown off by the vigorous fermentation. So I kind of look at it as that being the flavor addition, and then the huge keg hop being the primary aroma addition.

I like trying new things because otherwise I get bored just making the same thing over and over and over. I’ll probably continue to play with this but tweak it a little bit here and there. I have another one currently going right now that is almost identical except using Sabro. It’s a similar combination of Lupo Maxx and regular pellets. I’ll report back once it’s done and ready.

Has anyone used the Trident blend from Hopsteiner? I tend to have better local access to their hops so am keen to hear any feedback on their hops specifically. They generally don't get the hype of the Yakima varieties for whatever reason but I think Eureka & Sultana are two very good varieties especially.

I think the Janish experiment was flawed. He specifically stated the beer oxidized very rapidly.

View attachment 707699View attachment 707700This is an all Citra double ipa in which I deviated from my normal practices. There are no hot side hops at all. I added 2 oz. of Citra Lupomax and 4 oz Citra pellets at the same time as pitching the yeast. Once fermentation had finished, I soft crashed to 56, then transferred into a fermentation purged keg with 4 oz of Citra Lupomax and 4 oz of Citra pellets suspended in a nylon bag. I added about 5psi head pressure and let it sit at room temp for 48 hours. (Slowly rising up to about 66-68)

How is the bitterness?

Has anyone used the Trident blend from Hopsteiner? I tend to have better local access to their hops so am keen to hear any feedback on their hops specifically. They generally don't get the hype of the Yakima varieties for whatever reason but I think Eureka & Sultana are two very good varieties especially.

Personally not as big a fan of their proprietary varieties. Eureka is interesting. Sultana is pretty good. Not that into Lemondrop and Lotus is horrible. For me their hops have never lived up to all the marketing hype they get.

Tried them all when they were just numbers and tried most since they’ve had names.. just never been blown away by anything they’ve created. They just named Altus which was 07270 that I kinda liked. It was straight weed when I used it a few times.

Back