New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone brew with the LupoMax hops from YVH?

I have Citra and Mosaic LupoMax and as well as Yakima Chief Cryo I need to use up-- so I think I might do the standard CMG recipe, but split the dry hop up between normal pellets, lupomax, and cryo. Thoughts?

I have Citra and Mosaic LupoMax and as well as Yakima Chief Cryo I need to use up-- so I think I might do the standard CMG recipe, but split the dry hop up between normal pellets, lupomax, and cryo. Thoughts?
I used the Citra LUPOMAX in a dryhop with strata. I used it used it at 1:2 ratio of LUPOMAX to T90 pellets. I wouldn’t use cryo hops too if you want to see what’s LUPOMAX brings to the table. Its not anymore potent than cryo hops, maybe even slightly less, but the precision of the flavor and aroma is superior. The LUPOMAX Citra I got was exactly what you’d think of everything you hoped excellent Citra would be. The only way to know what I mean is to use It.

I plan on using mosaic LUPOMAX in my next ipa paired with Enigma and Vic secret. I hope it’s a similar experience

Last edited:

Currently making my way through a keg of neipa hopped with LupoMax Citra, LupoMax Mosaic, Stata, and El Dorado. It's quite good.

9BA93FFF-45D4-4772-9D6F-481CB69B0FB6.jpeg

I used the Citra LUPOMAX in a dryhop with strata. I used it used it at 1:2 ratio of LUPOMAX to T90 pellets. I wouldn’t use cryo hops too if you want to see what’s LUPOMAX brings to the table. Its not anymore potent than cryo hops, maybe even slightly less, but the precision of the flavor and aroma is superior. The LUPOMAX Citra I got was exactly what you’d think of everything you hoped excellent Citra would be. The only way to know what I mean is to use It.

I plan on using mosaic LUPOMAX in my next ipa paired with Enigma and Vic secret. I hope it’s a similar experience

Yeah that was my original thought as well. I have 1oz each citra and mosaic cryo LupuLN2 laying around and needs to get used up at some point sooner rather than later, but maybe will hold off on this one since it is the first time using LUPOMAX.

I brewed OP's recipe, but with Azacca/Eureka/Mosaic. First time using Imperial Juice and I'm a bit surprised at how slow it is. Started up super quick, but it's 6 days in and not quite down to terminal. I've used London Ale III a ton, so I'm just a bit surprised.

Smelled insane though, my beer room smells like a fruit basket, even out of the All Rounder! Gonna soft crash and dry hop that way, can't wait.

neipa.jpg

First time using Imperial Juice and I'm a bit surprised at how slow it is.

My friend works professionally at a brewery and brought me some Juice slurry. It was very slow for me as well. I've seen brewers say how fast it is, but my experience has always been slow. It still brews a very delicious beer. This one was brewed with Mosaic, Columbus, and Motueka.

74C43351-691A-4441-BF35-9385E56DF03A_1_105_c.jpeg

I brewed OP's recipe, but with Azacca/Eureka/Mosaic. First time using Imperial Juice and I'm a bit surprised at how slow it is. Started up super quick, but it's 6 days in and not quite down to terminal. I've used London Ale III a ton, so I'm just a bit surprised.

Smelled insane though, my beer room smells like a fruit basket, even out of the All Rounder! Gonna soft crash and dry hop that way, can't wait.

View attachment 704675

Interesting...I have used Juice quite a bit, and it typically rips through the sugars and is at terminal within 4 days. I often ramp it to 70 on day 3.

I was surprised too as it's London Ale III which always works fast for me. It took off quickly too, was fresh yeast. Airlock is still bubbling away 6 days in with a health Krausen.

View attachment 704675

I usually do a starter and this yeast has always been pretty quick for me, not sure what it's like out of the pack. I also ferment at 70 and let it get up to 73ish during the heat of fermentation. I think 66F might be having an impact on its performance. Can you raise it a bit?

So I have my bucks party in a couple of months time and I’m going to brew a beer for it, trying to use up a lot of unwanted hops and ingredients I still have left. It will be an Imperial NEIPA at around 8% ABV with probably a touch of lactose.

My hop inventory is as follows:

250g Columbus
175g Motueka
150g Comet
100g Galaxy
50g Citra
50g Hallertau Blanc

I’m looking to use/get rid of as much of these hops as possible so I’m not too fussed if I go overboard on the additions, but im looking for some guidance as to what others think will still produce a good balanced beer as opposed to just a whole bunch of **** thrown together.

So I have my bucks party in a couple of months time and I’m going to brew a beer for it, trying to use up a lot of unwanted hops and ingredients I still have left. It will be an Imperial NEIPA at around 8% ABV with probably a touch of lactose.

My hop inventory is as follows:

250g Columbus
175g Motueka
150g Comet
100g Galaxy
50g Citra
50g Hallertau Blanc

I’m looking to use/get rid of as much of these hops as possible so I’m not too fussed if I go overboard on the additions, but im looking for some guidance as to what others think will still produce a good balanced beer as opposed to just a whole bunch of **** thrown together.

I do an ipa I really like with comet/Columbus hotside and dryhop with galaxy/Nelson. Gives a really cool dank earth base with a punch of great tropical fruit

Last edited:
I do an ipa I really like with comet/Columbus hotside and dryhop with galaxy/Nelson. Gives a really cool dank earth base with a punch of great tropical fruit

That’s good to hear. I was thinking about doing all Columbus & Comet hot side and then a combination of the other 4 in the dry hopping.

So, I have made numerous NEIPAs , but have never had one drop clear. I kegged this one and force carbed it so I could take a couple growlers for a long weekend camping trip, they were hazy and awesome just like before. Came home and poured myself a beer after about 5 days in the keg under the normal serving pressure and the beer was clear , still smelled awesome and tasted great it just had cleared up. I guess I was a little off some where. My FG was a little off which just lowered the ABV a tad but the beer still turned out great.

Recipe? I've noticed that over the years, my fave NEIPAs used Rakau. Rakau with Citra and/or Galaxy, Vic Secret, etc. Love the NZ hops.
It’s Nelson, Citra, and riwaka. Same grainbill, hop schedule (different ratio) and yeast as the TIPA I’ve posted in the recipe section but scaled down to 1.078 for a double that typically finishes 1.014-1.016. This year I’m going to up the oat malt by 5% and target 10 more ibus.

Riwaka/Citra hot side 2:1

Nelson/Citra/Riwaka dryhop 3:1.5:1

Thanks for those details, @Dgallo. I'm gonna go for just that on my next one as a single, been wanting to use riwaka. Although couple things I tend to do a little differently: Honey malt, I've totally stopped using that type of malt in any ipa; and your complicated hop ratios! Man my hops go in 2oz at a time now matter what, don't got time for all that vacuum sealing.

Edit: heres my mock up in brewfather for anyone interested

Last edited:
Thanks for those details, @Dgallo. I'm gonna go for just that on my next one as a single, been wanting to use riwaka. Although couple things I tend to do a little differently: Honey malt, I've totally stopped using that type of malt in any ipa; and your complicated hop ratios! Man my hops go in 2oz at a time now matter what, don't got time for all that vacuum sealing.

Edit: heres my mock up in brewfather for anyone interested

That’s cool man! everyone has their own grainbillls they prefer. I really like the color and touch of perceived sweetness it gives. To me it helps “ripen” the fruit characteristics from the hops

Those ratios aren’t complicated though lol
2:1 Is very simple and 3:1.5:1 would be Dryhoping like 6oz Nelson, 3 oz Citra and 2oz Riwaka or it could be 4 oz Nelson, 2 oz Citra, and just about 1.5 oz Riwaka. But again my wife already had a vacuum sealer for food prep so It’s pretty easy for me to seal them back up for future brews. Your 2:1:1 ratio your using will work perfectly. Let me know what you think of the hop combo!

A lot of us buy hops from Yacima Valley Hops. Buying it in minimum 4 pound lots gets the best shipping cost/lb. I think it was @degallo who noted above, you can buy it in 2 oz bags for only about $1/lb more which cuts down on resealing a lot.

Do you guys usually dry hop all in one go or split your dry hop into multiple additions? Are there pros or cons either way?

I brew 5 gallons at a time so my dry hop comes out to about 10oz. I'm going to try splitting this into 2 additions within about 36 hours of each other. Both post-fermentation at around 58F.

Do you guys usually dry hop all in one go or split your dry hop into multiple additions? Are there pros or cons either way?

I brew 5 gallons at a time so my dry hop comes out to about 10oz. I'm going to try splitting this into 2 additions within about 36 hours of each other. Both post-fermentation at around 58F.
I split my dryhops up between 2 addition. Usually I will split it evenly but if I happen to be using Any amount of t45 pellets (cryo) I’ll always put them into the second dryhop. By splitting them up between two additions the hops seem to get better contact time with the beer . When adding them as one large addition I feel a good portion of hops will stay above the beer line for most of the dryhop period and then I’m constantly rocking the fermenter and re suspending the yeast I purposely flocced out. The cons of this is oxidation since you’ll be entering the fermenter twice, however, if you have a good system in place to add the hops then I personally think it’s the best way to go

Last edited:
Hello! I think it is a good time (on top of this last post) to ask this: I have a SS bucket and I even can ferment up to 7psi and stuff, but do need to open the fermenter to add the dry hops. So what I do is that I slowly release the pressure, have the lose hops into a plastic bottle... purged the O2 several times. Then when I open the lid of the fermenter I have the gas running thru a gas port intalled on it (also purge the vessel after closing the lid). My doubt is: once I do have to open this lid what is better to do? a) 1 hop addition at the end of fermentation and 1 after the semicrash (the donwside of this is potential hopburn and 1st addition too long into the beer?); b) Only one bigger hop addition after semicrash (minimizing chance of oxidation but less extraction?) ; finally c) Both additions after semicrash even having to open that lid? Thanks a lot for all the lessons we find here!

Last edited:
Hello! I think it is a good time (on top of this last post) to ask this: I have a SS bucket and I even can ferment up to 7psi and stuff, but do need to open the fermenter to add the dry hops. So what I do is that I slowly release the pressure, have the lose hops into a plastic bottle... purged the O2 several times. Then when I open the lid of the fermenter I have the gas running thru a gas port intalled on it (also purge the vessel after closing the lid). My doubt is: once I do have to open this lid what is better to do? a) 1 hop addition at the end of fermentation and 1 after the semicrash (the donwside of this is potential hopburn and 1st addition too long into the beer?); b) Only one bigger hop addition after semicrash (minimizing chance of oxidation but less extraction?) ; finally c) Both additions after semicrash even having to open that lid? Thanks a lot for all the lessons we find here!

SS Brewbucket at 7psi? wow, they are rated for 1-2psi max... if you are really at 7 psi the lid will have a leak somewhere sometime...

Anyway, if it's your first neipa just open the lid, dump all your dryhop in and close the lid asap and purge. Did you already have any oxygen problem?
If you have the system you can try 2 additions. I did not find any difference in aroma/flavor. But that's my system.

SS Brewbucket at 7psi? wow, they are rated for 1-2psi max... if you are really at 7 psi the lid will have a leak somewhere sometime...

Anyway, if it's your first neipa just open the lid, dump all your dryhop in and close the lid asap and purge. Did you already have any oxygen problem?
If you have the system you can try 2 additions. I did not find any difference in aroma/flavor. But that's my system.
Hello! Thanks for the help. Not the SS Brewbucket itself. I have a custom built stainless steel bucket (not conical) that takes 7 PSI. And I have been trying NEIPA for a while. Already had heavy oxidation back then. But latelly, nice flavor but not strong aroma. The last ones´ color did not even change after 6 weeks. But never got a pretty strong fresh aroma so I wonder if still got to be more careful with O2.

I am about to Dry Hop my NEIPA. I saw that you Dryhoped 4.5 OZ of sabro, did you find it too potent?
I was thinking about 2oz of sabro, 2oz of I7 and 1oz of mosaic cryo
Well, this beer is now ready to drink and oh my........ This is a total juice party of tangerine,pineapple,mango, all of tropical fruit you can think.
It's my 17th NEIPA and this is by far the most tropical punch I ever made. I don't get any coconut at all (wich I was not hunting) but I do get a lot of cream from it (which I was hunting) and I really love that taste. This combo get your neipa at a higher level. This Keg will not last 3 weeks.
IMO I7 is so underrated.

0.5 oz (21 IBU) — Warrior 15% — Boil — 60 min
0.5 oz
(7 IBU) — Idaho #7 13% — Boil — 5 min
0.5 oz
(7 IBU) — Sabro 14% — Boil — 5 min
0.5 oz
(4 IBU) — Idaho #7 13% — Boil — 0 min
3 oz
(15 IBU) — Idaho #7 13% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand @ 180 °F
2oz
(4 IBU) — Sabro 14% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand @ 180 °F
1 oz
— Idaho #7 13% — Dry Hop — 7 days
1 oz
— Sabro 14% — Dry Hop — 7 days
1 oz
— Idaho #7 13% — Dry Hop — 3 days
1 oz
— Mosaic (Cryo) 20% — Dry Hop — 3 days
1 oz
— Sabro 14% — Dry Hop — 3 days

Yeast
Escarpment Yeast Labs Foggy London Ale

neipav17.jpg

Last edited:
Hello! Thanks for the help. Not the SS Brewbucket itself. I have a custom built stainless steel bucket (not conical) that takes 7 PSI. And I have been trying NEIPA for a while. Already had heavy oxidation back then. But latelly, nice flavor but not strong aroma. The last ones´ color did not even change after 6 weeks. But never got a pretty strong fresh aroma so I wonder if still got to be more careful with O2.
Well if you can purge the headspace, try double addition and purge the hell out of it after closing the lid.
When I had good flavor and poor aroma in my beer, it's because i was doing biotransformation at day 3-4 in (all aroma escaping), not using fresh hops and did not have the right amount.
I now softcrash to 55-58F when the beer is done. First DH addition is 5 days before I keg, purge the headspace like crazy, second addition 2 days after and purge the headspace like mad again. This way I have consistent and great result, but this is my setup. I think the worst enemy of neipa is really oxygen. Just a little suckback in your fermenter can scrap this style. Well, that's what I learned after 17neipa.

IMG-1573.jpg

87.5% Two Row, 12.5% White wheat malt, no flaked grains. Bru-1, HBC-586, Strata, equal parts. WLP008 and balanced water. Dry-hopped after a soft crash at 58 degrees once reaching FG.

I've noticed i haven't been getting the kind of aroma i wanted so i dialed back the CalC and went balanced. A great recipe was just posted here from Cellarmaker about their "Hazy West Coast IPA" where they are using 14.75 total oz of hops for a 5 gallon batch. I do half batches (2.75), and still only find my self using 5/5.5 oz total. I'll probably up it to 6 so i can use the YVH 2 oz bags.

Lastly, the 2019 YVH HBC-586 was really peppery out of the bag but none of that translated to the beer, all mango/pineapple, Very impressed.

Cheers!

Has anyone used Cashmere in their NEIPAs before? I bought some, now trying to figure out what to pair up with.

Has anyone used Cashmere in their NEIPAs before? I bought some, now trying to figure out what to pair up with.
Cashmere has a soft peach/citrus-lime character from my experience. My favorite combo I’ve done with it was Cashmere, Amarillo, Citra and Sabro

Cashmere has a soft peach/citrus-lime character from my experience. My favorite combo I’ve done with it was Cashmere, Amarillo, Citra and Sabro
What kind of ratios did you use ? Did you use them on the hotside or just whirlpool and DH. - Thanks for the input

What kind of ratios did you use ? Did you use them on the hotside or just whirlpool and DH. - Thanks for the input
I just got home from work so I’ll go through my notes so I can give you the exact one. To be honest it’s most likely in this thread somewhere because I was really impressed with that combo

Curious if any of y'all have tried dry hopping in the fermenter below 40F and how it worked out for you.

Last time I dry hopped around 50 degrees, they all dropped to the bottom of the carboy right away. Aroma was less pungent than my typical batch. I think it could work if you have a way of suspending or rousing the hops, but since then I always raise back up to 60-65 degrees before dry hopping.

here’s everything about that beer
Tapped my lastest ipa last night and it’s impressive.

NEIIPA 8.7% featuring Cashmere, Amarillo pellet/cryo, Citra pellet/cryo, & Sabro in a 3:2:1:1 ratio ran with a24 dryhop. Grainbill was simple 75% 2row, 15% Chit Malt, 10% Flaked Oats. This is def another beer going in top 5 combos for me. Flavor profile is very tropical with notes Peach Ring Gummies, Orange cream, Lime zest, and coconut in the finish tied in with smooth/soft resinous bitterness to round it all out. Mouthfeel is pretty good, a little “thick” finish at 1.016 so I may target a lower mash temp next time I brew this to see if that helps lighten it up. It was naturally carbed so its got very tight bubbles that gives a creamy note. Def a great hop combo. View attachment 681547View attachment 681548

Last time I dry hopped around 50 degrees, they all dropped to the bottom of the carboy right away. Aroma was less pungent than my typical batch. I think it could work if you have a way of suspending or rousing the hops, but since then I always raise back up to 60-65 degrees before dry hopping.

Thanks for sharing! I do almost exactly what you do currently but was sort of intrigued with the potential benefits of the lower temps. Like you pointed out extraction is the issue although I remember Janish posting up some research that 3 days below 40F would hit maximum extraction. I don't remember if they were rousing or not in that study.

Back