New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to shift gears but question on dry hopping. If you did moderate pressure fermentation with spunding valve on corny keg would the CO2 in solution help offer some protection if you carefully cracked lid and added dry hop? Would also flush headspace with CO2 afterwards
Be careful dryhoping carbonated beer. The hops will produces millions of nucleation points and you might have an absolute eruption lol

Your going to have to be ready to get those hops in, in one shot and then close the lid as fast as possible.

Last edited:
Sorry to shift gears but question on dry hopping. If you did moderate pressure fermentation with spunding valve on corny keg would the CO2 in solution help offer some protection if you carefully cracked lid and added dry hop? Would also flush headspace with CO2 afterwards
Works fine, I've been doing that for a long time with great results. I would pressurize to 40psi and release about 4x.

1.076 -> 1.017
Ca 91 Mg 8 Na 60 Cl 215 SO 37
Overnight step, B40 with bag.
Mash pH: 5.39
Boil pH 5.2
Post Boil 5.0 I like this effect

Grain (19 lb 4 oz) - Stupidly complex, cleaning out
Pilsner (42.9%)
Oats, Malted (23.4%)
Golden Promise 3 SRM (10.4%)
Wheat Malt (10.4%)
Raw Wheat (7.8%)
Rolled Oats (3.9%)
Wheat Flaked (1.3%)

Hops (6oz + incognito, 15oz)
30 min - 0.2 oz - Idaho #7 - 13.5% (5 IBU)
10 min - 1 oz - Citra - 13% (13 IBU)
15 min hopstand @ 180 °F
2 oz - Idaho #7
3 oz - Citra
20g Citra Incognito
^ 20 grams dissolved into the fermenter with 1L hot wort

Dry Hops - post cold crash to 45F 3 days, @ 50F for 24 hours, hard shaking DH keg X5
7 oz - Motueka
4 oz - Mosaic
4 oz - Citra Lupomax

Pure o2, Cellar Science Hazy two packs direct pitch. I might like this more than verdant and it’s cheap.

My most hop saturated beer I’ve made, maybe that I’ve had. Really like the hop combo, punchy/ pungent aroma and flavor. Citrus, lime, pithy, little diesel, pineapple clear gummy bears. I really like how I did just about everything with this, haha lots a small new improvements to my process and recipe here. Probably I could do a smaller WP addition, the pre DH samples of this beer were nothing special. DH saturation is great, maybe agitated too much, over saturated, not complaining.

C6103CF8-980E-461E-BECC-13533E12726C.jpeg90A25969-C270-4CE2-B346-3B429E262FE1.jpeg51453BC0-C88D-4A9A-AF4C-C29B0D28172E.jpeg

Edit formatting

Last edited:
Dry Hops - post cold crash to 45F 3 days, @ 50F for 24 hours, hard shaking DH keg X5
Saturated! That's something I strive for...

When you say hard shaking, I imagine a bartender shaking a cocktail. Could you elaborate on what your hard shaking looks like?

If I understand correctly you are chilling the beer to 45F for 3 days then transferring to a DH keg to dry hop for 1 day. Does the DH keg already have the hops in them or are you opening the lid and tossing them in? Is the DH keg fitted with a floating dip tube or a shortened dip tube? Are you crashing the DH keg at all before transferring to serving keg?

I've gone back and forth with how to dry hop using kegs. Fermentation CO2 purge the DH keg loaded with hops vs. transfer beer into DH keg then open lid toss in hops. I currently have a hazy pale ale fermenting that I plan on dry hopping by opening the lid of the DH keg. I'll likely add about .1g Kmeta to the dry hop as well as purge the head space after dry hopping.

Saturated! That's something I strive for...

When you say hard shaking, I imagine a bartender shaking a cocktail. Could you elaborate on what your hard shaking looks like?

If I understand correctly you are chilling the beer to 45F for 3 days then transferring to a DH keg to dry hop for 1 day. Does the DH keg already have the hops in them or are you opening the lid and tossing them in? Is the DH keg fitted with a floating dip tube or a shortened dip tube? Are you crashing the DH keg at all before transferring to serving keg?

I've gone back and forth with how to dry hop using kegs. Fermentation CO2 purge the DH keg loaded with hops vs. transfer beer into DH keg then open lid toss in hops. I currently have a hazy pale ale fermenting that I plan on dry hopping by opening the lid of the DH keg. I'll likely add about .1g Kmeta to the dry hop as well as purge the head space after dry hopping.
I’m a pretty lazy brewer and like to keep things idiot proof. I use floating dip tubes with filters and cold crash under pressure for a day before transfers. This minimizes my losses really well I never deal with a clog, never have to worry if my diptube is the right height, if I’ve dumped enough trub, or if I should be using an inline filter. I have a unitank that I never use any more bc this is just easier for the same results with less/the same losses.

Dry hop keg is a 7 gallon sanke with a 4” triclamp on top. I use a lid with a TC port, BV, hop bong to dry hop. I use fermentation to purge the DH keg and the serving keg. I cold crash after ferment, transfer to DH keg, while it’s transferring I set up the hop doser and let the co2 from the DH keg purge my hops and then add DH that day.

To shake I lay it on its side and roll it back and forth for 30 seconds.

Some bigger breweries will DH with a pump and inject the hops and circulate for a few hours. They say they get full extraction after a couple hours this way because there is so much agitation. So thats what I think I’m accomplishing with short contact times and lots of agitation.

All that to say I can’t tell you for sure I get better results this way than just tossing in the hops with Co2 flowing into the tank, that method works really well. But I do it this way bc I love the results and I can’t mess it up!

Last edited:
Early sample of my attempt. Needs to carb more but I think this is going to be really good. Thanks to everyone in the thread I learned from to get here.

Spent weeks reading you threads and seeing all of your hands holding nice hazy beer. Happy to add my hand to the mix.

Process wise I had a few hiccups in the transfer process so not sure how long this one will be good but feel ready to nail the next one.

IMG_3066.jpeg

If dry hopping after fermentation in a kegmenter (0.5 gallons of headspace), how much purging is recommended after adding the dry hop? I know that 16 purges of 30 psi eliminates all oxygen, but is that what this thread recommends/practices?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
If dry hopping after fermentation in a kegmenter (0.5 gallons of headspace), how much purging is recommended after adding the dry hop? I know that 16 purges of 30 psi eliminates all oxygen, but is that what this thread recommends/practices?

Thanks in advance!
How much purging? MORE!

Is that a Kegmenter with a 4” TC and a floating dip tube? I think the best method with that is to put gas floating into the floating dip tube side at a few psi, open the PRV so gas is coming out, then open the lid and dump in hops, then close the lid and let it keep purging thru the PRV for… a few more seconds? Or longer. MORE is the right amount.

MORE is the right amount.
Couldn’t agree more with this. It has always amazed me how many times I’ve seen peeps on HBT and in person talking about how much they’ve spent on designer high dollar hops only to hear they don’t wanna use up their CO2 because their cheap. Why cut your budget short with CO2? Protect your investment at all costs! Lol

When I was opening the fermenter keg to toss hops in I did just that, run gas through floating dip tube. Seemed like it helped. Next progression was to add ascorbic acid with the hops. Seemed to help. Nowadays I use a second keg with floating dip tube and load it with dry hops. I use fermentation gas to purge it. I was worried about those hops being warm (64-68 degrees) and in the presence of oxygen at the start of fermentation. But I was worried about nothing. This is the easiest method, saves gas too. I then do a closed transfer to the dry hop keg. Oh, I cascaded the fermentation gas to the next keg which would be the serving keg. However, now I just serve from the dry hop keg. I get no off flavors during the 3-4 weeks a keg lasts.

When I was opening the fermenter keg to toss hops in I did just that, run gas through floating dip tube. Seemed like it helped. Next progression was to add ascorbic acid with the hops. Seemed to help. Nowadays I use a second keg with floating dip tube and load it with dry hops. I use fermentation gas to purge it. I was worried about those hops being warm (64-68 degrees) and in the presence of oxygen at the start of fermentation. But I was worried about nothing. This is the easiest method, saves gas too. I then do a closed transfer to the dry hop keg. Oh, I cascaded the fermentation gas to the next keg which would be the serving keg. However, now I just serve from the dry hop keg. I get no off flavors during the 3-4 weeks a keg lasts.
This!!
I did the three keg method exactly as you described and it worked fine for a recent pale ale. I'll be trying it again this spring on a Citra/Nectaron neipa, but I may follow your lead and serve right from the dry hop keg this time. One less transfer would make it a bit simpler.

How much purging? MORE!

Is that a Kegmenter with a 4” TC and a floating dip tube? I think the best method with that is to put gas floating into the floating dip tube side at a few psi, open the PRV so gas is coming out, then open the lid and dump in hops, then close the lid and let it keep purging thru the PRV for… a few more seconds? Or longer. MORE is the right amount.
Yes, I have a floating dip tube and I'm going to do as you suggested. I'll probably purge a few more times for good measure.

What’s the consensus on A24 conditions? Specifically pitch rate for 7.5 gallon batch with 1.074-78 OG. Stressing w/o O2 and low pitch rate to drive esters at 70 degrees or healthy pitch w/ O2 at similar temps?

What’s the consensus on A24 conditions? Specifically pitch rate for 7.5 gallon batch with 1.074-78 OG. Stressing w/o O2 and low pitch rate to drive esters at 70 degrees or healthy pitch w/ O2 at similar temps?
I under pitch it at about 0.65mc/ml/*p and then drive the temp over fermentation. Pitch at 68 and let it freerise to 70-72 and the set it to 74 for the remainder of ferm.

How did it turn out? Artwork is awesome.
Turned out tasty. Mouthfeel is bigger than expected so it drinks a touch heavy but flavor and aroma are all there. Rating pretty well on untapped besides the 5-6 negative check ins lol

Took a sample last night after getting keezer hooked up. The lighting in my basement is awful and the picture is way darker than it looks like in person. Had good citrus/tropical flavor balanced with a good amount of bitterness. Mouthfeel was really good. There was a bit of harshness to it and maybe a bit much on the bitter side.

It’s only been in the keg 3 days so going to let it sit a bit more and see how it is later this week.

IMG_3151.png

Recently brewed a hazy pale ale hopped at 2.3 oz/gal and notice a metallic/grassy aroma that I get on and off but can’t pinpoint the cause. Wanted to see what you guy thought. Everything else is perfect on the beer. I am thinking either too much dry hop for the low OG or some of the hops I used weren’t great. I noticed a ton of seeds when I dropped the dry hop charge which i never saw before

1.057 OG
1.013 FG
7 gal batch, 6 gal to fermenter
5.9%
49 IBU
14 lb rahr 2 row
4 lb proximity oat malt

Mash - 154 for 45, 162 for 20, no mash out
6.3 Reverse RO water
8 g CaCl, 2 g canning salt, 2 g Epsom salt, 2 g gypsum. 7 g lactic. 1.2 g Ascorbic acid, 1.6g Brewtan B, 0.2 g SMB.

Sparge:
5 gallons, 5 g lactic acid, 0.2 g SMB, 1 g ascorbic acid, 1 g Brewtan B

Boil:
0.38 oz Citra lupomax at 60
0.33 oz Citra lupomax at 15
Yeast nutrient and Whirlfloc at 15
1 g Brewtan B at 15
12 g lactic acid at flameout

Whirlpool - 165F for 30 min
1 oz Citra, 2 oz Nectaron, 20g bottle Citra incognito

Pitched 2 packs of A24 dry hop with one drop of ALDC. Pitch at 68 and rise to 72 over next 7 days. Day 8 cold crash to 40 F for 2 days and drop yeast.

Dry hop 1:
Day 10 raise to 60F and add
3oz Nectaron 4 oz Citra lupomax. Rouse with co2
Day 11
2 oz Citra 3 oz Nectaron. Rouse with co2.
Day 12, drop temp to 39 and drop hops.
Day 13 - drop hops again. Keg later in day.

Recently brewed a hazy pale ale hopped at 2.3 oz/gal and notice a metallic/grassy aroma that I get on and off but can’t pinpoint the cause. Wanted to see what you guy thought. Everything else is perfect on the beer. I am thinking either too much dry hop for the low OG or some of the hops I used weren’t great. I noticed a ton of seeds when I dropped the dry hop charge which i never saw before

1.057 OG
1.013 FG
7 gal batch, 6 gal to fermenter
5.9%
49 IBU
14 lb rahr 2 row
4 lb proximity oat malt

Mash - 154 for 45, 162 for 20, no mash out
6.3 Reverse RO water
8 g CaCl, 2 g canning salt, 2 g Epsom salt, 2 g gypsum. 7 g lactic. 1.2 g Ascorbic acid, 1.6g Brewtan B, 0.2 g SMB.

Sparge:
5 gallons, 5 g lactic acid, 0.2 g SMB, 1 g ascorbic acid, 1 g Brewtan B

Boil:
0.38 oz Citra lupomax at 60
0.33 oz Citra lupomax at 15
Yeast nutrient and Whirlfloc at 15
1 g Brewtan B at 15
12 g lactic acid at flameout

Whirlpool - 165F for 30 min
1 oz Citra, 2 oz Nectaron, 20g bottle Citra incognito

Pitched 2 packs of A24 dry hop with one drop of ALDC. Pitch at 68 and rise to 72 over next 7 days. Day 8 cold crash to 40 F for 2 days and drop yeast.

Dry hop 1:
Day 10 raise to 60F and add
3oz Nectaron 4 oz Citra lupomax. Rouse with co2
Day 11
2 oz Citra 3 oz Nectaron. Rouse with co2.
Day 12, drop temp to 39 and drop hops.
Day 13 - drop hops again. Keg later in day.
Thats nectaron

Tapped my latest Triple NEIPA at 10.1% this week.l

Grains:
30% 2row
30% golden promise
15% malted oats
15% spelt
7% Pilsner DME
3% dextrose
Targeting og: 1.100-1.105
Target og: 1.020-1.025
Mash: 154-156 ph 5.25-5.3

Ibus: 50-60 of clean high alpha (will help balance the added perceived sweetness from the alcohol)

Whirlpool @ 165
1 oz/gallon Citra

Dryhop @ 2.5oz/gallon
- 2:1.5:1:1 ratio of Motueka, Galaxy, Simcoe, Mosaic
21DC15CD-C6A7-4E62-BA1B-4919F9F49B6C.jpeg

Tapped my latest Triple NEIPA at 10.1% this week.l

Grains:
30% 2row
30% golden promise
15% malted oats
15% spelt
7% Pilsner DME
3% dextrose
Targeting og: 1.100-1.105
Target og: 1.020-1.025
Mash: 154-156 ph 5.25-5.3

Ibus: 50-60 of clean high alpha (will help balance the added perceived sweetness from the alcohol)

Whirlpool @ 165
1 oz/gallon Citra

Dryhop @ 2.5oz/gallon
- 2:1.5:1:1 ratio of Motueka, Galaxy, Simcoe, MosaicView attachment 820019
Whats the fg on it? How is the finish?
I've done a 9.5% by accident that finished at 1.010 and it was still balanced.
Imagine fg 1.020 is quiet thick sweet

Whats the fg on it? How is the finish?
I've done a 9.5% by accident that finished at 1.010 and it was still balanced.
Imagine fg 1.020 is quiet thick sweet
It’s certainly thick, I don’t know what triple NEIPAS you have access to but very much the mouthfeel of other half/fiden’s. I would say it is on the sweeter side, seemed to amplify the fruit character, but I would have preferred it less sweet. The golden promise also contributed to the sweetness. It finished 1.025

It’s certainly thick, I don’t know what triple NEIPAS you have access to but very much the mouthfeel of other half/fiden’s. I would say it is on the sweeter side, seemed to amplify the fruit character, but I would have preferred it less sweet. The golden promise also contributed to the sweetness. It finished 1.025
I’ve measured an Other Half DIPA ~8% (no lactose) to have a FG of 1.023 on easy dens. I was shocked how high it was but yes it definately had a crazy thick body that made for a nice effect for this kind of beer, so cheers to your huge beer with huge body!
My preference is definately toward the drier side (1.014-1.018) but there is something g for everyone e out there!

I’ve measured an Other Half DIPA ~8% (no lactose) to have a FG of 1.023 on easy dens. I was shocked how high it was but yes it definately had a crazy thick body that made for a nice effect for this kind of beer, so cheers to your huge beer with huge body!
My preference is definately toward the drier side (1.014-1.018) but there is something g for everyone e out there!
Singles I want to be around 1.014-1.016, doubles 1.018-1.020, and Triples 1.020-1.022. I didn’t mind the thickness, I just wasn’t properly balanced for this. Expected a bit more attenuation than I got.

If you’ve ever had a triple from fiden’s, this is the exact body they have in theirs.

I will be brewing my first NEIPA of the year in about a week or two. Its been a long time lol. Im planning on using Verdant IPA yeast again because thats what I have now. The previous two times Ive used it, I've rehydrated the yeast and oxygenated the wort very well coupled with using dextrose and doing my step mash schedule with this yeast which was 150 for 40 minutes and 162 for additional 20 after ramping complete. Both times I got 76-77% apparent attenuation and I used Lallemands pitch rate calculator as well. So my question is this...what attenuation are ya'll getting with this yeast? Because attenuation is also dependent on other factors, please include context ie whether or not you used dextrose/brewing crystals, your mash temp, and whether you did the yeast rehydration method as I described or just sprinkled it on top and let it rip. Even though the LalBrew website shows this yeast attenuation to be 75-82%, not sure I can count on anything higher than 77%. So just curious as to your process using this yeast.

Thanks in advance. I'm tagging peeps who I know or think have used it in the past @HopsAreGood @Dgallo and of course any other peeps who've used it in the past are welcome to chime in.

I last used Verdant in early December on a pale ale. I did a biab, single infusion 60 minute mash at 154° no dextrose/brewing crystals, and did not rehydrate the yeast. My OG was 1.054 and it finished at 1.013. Attenuation was 75.1% per BS3.

Attenuation: 78%, 1.059...1.012. No rehydration, one pack just sprinkled. Mash temp: 149 for 65min. Ferm temp 67 with a bump at the end. A previous batch (66%, 1.060...1.020, Mash temp 150 for 65min, Ferm temp 68 with a bump), the variables were similar. So I can only tell you that there is a large potential swing in efficiency. And I can't tell you why...But both beers were very good. According to my notes, I liked the better attenuated beer better.

Attenuation: 78%, 1.059...1.012. No rehydration, one pack just sprinkled. Mash temp: 149 for 65min. Ferm temp 67 with a bump at the end. A previous batch (66%, 1.060...1.020, Mash temp 150 for 65min, Ferm temp 68 with a bump), the variables were similar. So I can only tell you that there is a large potential swing in efficiency. And I can't tell you why...But both beers were very good. According to my notes, I liked the better attenuated beer better.
damn, I was hoping for some consistency to count on lol. Assuming you just sprinkled it on top the second one as well? Also assuming you don't oxygenate wort when sprinkling packet right?

Just used this yeast for the first time and so far I’m happy with the early samples. I pitched a single pack for a 1.053 OG. Curious where you draw the line to go with two packs?
I just follow the yeast farm recommendation - generally 1.060 and above I’ll use two packs. Sure you could get away with a bit higher, but for these beers I’m pitching into 6.5 gallons, not 5, so I don’t like to push it.

Man I kegged my Citra/Nectaron NEIPA 4.5 weeks ago and it's still undrinkably bitter and harsh. A very similar recipe with all Mosaic was ready way sooner. Anyone else have this experience with Nectaron? I've only had it with Galxaxy, Vic Secret and Idaho 7.

Back