New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also here is an updated tally of the 24 NEIPA hop combos I've tried so far. I ranked them from 1 (favorite) to 5 (least favorite). Keep in mind I've changed more than just the hops on each of these brews, so take it with a grain of salt.

RankHop Combo
1Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, Galaxy (3rd place, 42.5/50)
1CTZ, Vic Secret
1Citra, Mosaic, Idaho 7 (1st place, 33.5/50)
1CTZ, Citra (1st place, 40/50)
1Citra, Motueka
2CTZ, Galaxy, Mosaic
2CTZ, Mosaic
2Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy
2Citra
2Mosaic
2Citra, Mosaic
3Citra, Mosaic, Strata
3CTZ, Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy
3Citra, Ekuanot
3Mosaic, Amarillo, Vic Secret
3CTZ, Simcoe, Motueka, Azacca
3Mosaic, Ekuanot (didn't place, 33/50)
3Galaxy, El Dorado
3Galaxy, Amarillo
4Azacca
4Citra, Mosaic, El Dorado
4Galaxy
5Nelson
5Galaxy, Azacca, Ekuanot

Great list, have you ever tried Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe, Galaxy? It’s by far my favorite combo.

Heres a +1 for Bravo in the WP! Wanted to try it after reading this Janish article.

1.060 -> 1.012
6 gallons into fermenter
Imperial A24

2-Row 77%
wheat malt 15%
flaked oats 8%

Bravo at 30 mintes for 20 IBUs
Cascade 2oz at 5 minutes
Bravo 4oz WP at 185

Citra 4oz DH
Nelson 4oz DH

Fermented at 72F and 12psi. Dry hopped on day 10 at 55F and 20psi for 3 days.

Intense tangerine and all bright citrus, pineapple, mango. I would definitely use again. I could see it pairing well with mosaic or simcoe (not usually my favorite hops) for added dank and depth.

IMG_8127.jpeg

I have not but I'm actually very intent on using Simcoe a lot more in my IPAs, so I will keep that combo in mind. Thanks!

I go with:
2/1/1 Simcoe/Citra/Mosaic whirlpool
1.5/1.5/1 Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy dry hop

I took the idea from a Kane beer (Party Wave) where they listed the hops and when they used them. After some trial and error, I found the taste I was looking for.

I've been using A38 Juice almost exclusively for this style. I do really like it, but I'm looking to branch out to something a bit more attenuative but with a profile that still suits the style.

My thoughts are:
-Pacman
-WLP007

I've already tried some with 1272 and they turned out ok. Curious to hear what everyone's second favorite is next to LAIII / Juice.

I've been using A38 Juice almost exclusively for this style. I do really like it, but I'm looking to branch out to something a bit more attenuative but with a profile that still suits the style.

My thoughts are:
-Pacman
-WLP007

I've already tried some with 1272 and they turned out ok. Curious to hear what everyone's second favorite is next to LAIII / Juice.

I've used Juice ~20 times and Barbarian ~10 times. Both great, but I give Juice the slight edge. Only other yeast I've used in a NEIPA was Sacch Trois once and I let it ferment in the mid-upper 70's, but I wasn't a fan of the intense bubblegum esters.

Did you ever brew this? If so have you been able to try it yet? Just curious how it came out is you did.
Ok, this beer is finally on. After cold crashing I naturally carbed with CBC1 (dextrose/room temp for 72hours). Its been in the kegerator two days since carbing.

Aroma is awesome! Strata dominates with a little bit of dank/orange coming through from the I7 as well. The combo together kind of reminds me of Enigma but with more orange.

Solid bitterness up front, resiny/mouth-coating hop saturation with some nice toasty malt on the back end. The mouthfeel is incredibly soft.

It has a slightly tart finish (which I have never gotten in a NEIPA before) that takes some getting used to. I’m not sure if that is due to the US05 but I definitely wouldn’t call it an off flavor. It’s probably just because it’s still a bit green. I think in about a week, that tartness will just be perceived as “crisp”.

The foam is crazy. It almost looks like a nitro pour. It’s definitely the closest I’ve ever gotten to the foam on Hill Farmstead’s beers I tried at the brewery.

Color is a radiant pale orange. It’s not an opaque haze (eg. Trillium), it’s more like a Tree House/Alchemist level haze.

Overall I would call this a winner. I think I would have preferred it with S04/Conan, but I can't say for sure yet. I also think that in about another week it’s going to be out of this world!
BDC83930-C392-4B3A-8B3F-0AADAF8E2222.jpeg

Last edited:
Why is it that most beers in this thread is golden orange rather than yellow? Can we make them yellow without changing the mouthfeel?

It looks like the grain bill for the yellow neipas contains no caramel malt and uses pilsner malt rather than pale malt.

Curious to hear what everyone's second favorite is next to LAIII / Juice.
My favorite until now is S-04. Over LA3. It is just easier to work with dry yeast rather than liquid. No starter needed. No oxygen needed to be added before pitching. And it performs equally well and stays hazy for longer time than my last LA3 batch.

I also want to try S33, Lallemand New England and maybe wyeast 1056/WLP001 for the aroma even though it probably won't be hazy.

Why is it that most beers in this thread is golden orange rather than yellow? Can we make them yellow without changing the mouthfeel?

It looks like the grain bill for the yellow neipas contains no caramel malt and uses pilsner malt rather than pale malt.

I just think brewers have found their sweet spot with blending lots of wheat and oats and crystal malts to get the body and mouthfeel, and the colour they want. You can use 100% Pilsner malt and still get a hazy beer, with good mouthfeel and body, as malt choice is not the sole factor that contributes to these atributes.

S-33 works well. I have a small 5.5% DH Pale Ale in the keg at the moment, fermented with it and it is good. The other keg has the exact beer, but fermented with US-05. Although the US-05 seems a tad more potent, with just a bit more perceived bitterness, the S-33 is more rounded and balanced. Lallemand NE is good, but not as good as its liquid equivalents. I would try the new Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast, which is LAIII derivative ( Verdant UK used 1318 for a long time ). It's supposed to have a well-rounded, soft malt and hop profile, with fruity esters and somewhat " English " attenuation, which can be manipulated through the mash process, simple sugar additions, nutrients, etc.

Lallemand NE is good, but not as good as its liquid equivalents. I would try the new Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast.

What are you missing in the Lallemand NE strain?

I have also looked at the Lallemand Verdant strain. But I don't think I want apricot and vanilla in my neipa. I am more looking for stone fruits like peach.

What are you missing in the Lallemand NE strain?

I have also looked at the Lallemand Verdant strain. But I don't think I want apricot and vanilla in my neipa. I am more looking for stone fruits like peach.

Now that I've also tried the new Verdant IPA yeast ( and will be using again soon ), the NE yeast is less estery, but not neccessarily a bad thing. I'm off the NEIPA train, but I do brew IPAs once in a while. The batches made with NE had a bit of a sharp-ish bitterness, although IBUs and isomerized IBUs were on the very low side.

You mean like this?
9C4D76E8-F91F-4AC7-9B07-66DE4DAE7361.jpeg

Ya, you can make them pale yellow without changing the mouthfeel. A lot of us have just decided we like the characteristics provided by aromatic/honey/caramalts.

The beer in the picture is Fawcett Pearl, Weyermann Pale Wheat, Flaked Oats, Fawcett Caramalt. I would have to look up the percentages to be exact.

I love this color:
1601298770352.png

This was the best NEIPA I tasted this summer. Out of about 20 different hazy beers.
The grain bill is on the label. 50% maris otter, 50% wheat malt, oat malt and carapils. I think the yeast is LA3.

The beer is single hopped with Strata but still complex in taste. Grape fruit, passion, citrus, mandarin. 2x10g/L in DH at unknown stages. I guess the last was after a soft crash. And "a little" (unknown) amount in WP at unknown temperature.

I tried to make the Trillium clone recipe with Columbus and Strata. But the commercial version shown here was superior.

Last edited:
You mean like this?View attachment 700360

Ya, you can make them pale yellow without changing the mouthfeel. A lot of us have just decided we like the characteristics provided by aromatic/honey/caramalts.

The beer in the picture is Fawcett Pearl, Weyermann Pale Wheat, Flaked Oats, Fawcett Caramalt. I would have to look up the percentages to be exact.

Very nice, most of my beers look pretty similar. I brew mostly without Caramel/Crystal malts so the first few NEIPA's I made I thought I messed up! I was so worried that something was off 😂

I love this color:
View attachment 700363

This was the best NEIPA I tasted this summer. Out of about 20 different hazy beers.
The grain bill is on the label. 50% maris otter, 50% wheat malt, oat malt and carapils. I think the yeast is LA3.

The beer is single hopped with Strata but still complex in taste. Grape fruit, passion, citrus, mandarin. 2x10g/L in DH at unknown stages. I guess the last was after a soft crash. And "a little" (unknown) amount in WP at unknown temperature.

I tried to make the Trillium clone recipe with Columbus and Strata. But the commercial version shown here was superior.

Sounds delicious.
I always strived for that ridiculous bright golden yellow haze, similar to that of wit beers. then i realised that these bigger ipa's are actually filtered photos (i.e. additional light to make it look super bright). lol

Sounds delicious.
I always strived for that ridiculous bright golden yellow haze, similar to that of wit beers. then i realised that these bigger ipa's are actually filtered photos (i.e. additional light to make it look super bright). lol
Actually, that is a good point. Some of them probably are.

Even those that aren’t, the lighting makes a HUGE difference.

I love this color:
View attachment 700363

Given the ingredients, I think the color of this one is darker than this picture. marris otter (~4.0), wheat malt (~2.3), even oat malt (~2.0) and darker than flaked oats (~1.0). This pic makes it look light yellow. However - all you have to do is that if you are on untapped app, type in reckoner by whiplash and look at all the pics posted by normal peeps like us. The majority of the pics show it to be closer to orange unless there's spectacular lighting behind it (like a sunset). Some pics in poor light make this same beer look brown. lol. BTW the beer does look great, I just don't buy the straw pale yellow its showing here.

Given the ingredients, I think the color of this one is darker than this picture. marris otter (~4.0), wheat malt (~2.3), even oat malt (~2.0) and darker than flaked oats (~1.0). This pic makes it look light yellow. However - all you have to do is that if you are on untapped app, type in reckoner by whiplash and look at all the pics posted by normal peeps like us. The majority of the pics show it to be closer to orange unless there's spectacular lighting behind it (like a sunset). Some pics in poor light make this same beer look brown. lol. BTW the beer does look great, I just don't buy the straw pale yellow its showing here.
This. 👍

Planning my next brew and considering pairing idaho 7 with mandarin bavaria in hopes that they amplify each others orange flavors/aromas. Ive done a single hopped beer with idaho 7 and its very orange forward but haven't done the same with mandarin bavaria. Thinking of heavier Idaho 7 in whirlpool and then heavier mandarin bavaria in DH. Also thinking of using columbus for boil and citra with MB in DH to try to balance things out so its not one-dimensionally orange. Thoughts?

EDIT: not married to the citra part so any other thoughts to keep this bright if not using citra that would be welcomed.

Yellow is really only yellow for me in in sub 7.5% abv beers. When I push my og into the 1.072+ range, even without any honey or cmalts, the sheer amount of grain even at 1.8-2.0L makes the beer take on a slight orange Appearance

You mean like this?View attachment 700360

Yum! Tell me more about this recipe please -

Has anyone tried fermenting, dry hopping, carbing and serving from a fermzilla? I’m strongly considering getting one with the thought process being this:

1. Ferment as usual. Crash to drop yeast. Purge the collection container at the bottom, open the valve to remove yeast.

2. Add dry hops to the collection container and purge like crazy. Open the valve to allow dry hops into the beer with zero oxygen.

3. Crash to drop dry hops to the bottom. Purge the collection container again, open the valve to remove dry hops.

4. Carbonate as usual and serve directly from the vessel.

This way the beer is never transferred, and the only potential for oxygen is when opening the valve, but the container can be purged every time.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermzilla-conical-fermenter-71-gal-27.html

Last edited:
View attachment 643607 Figured I should add my two cents to this thread.

My most recent NEIPA (or NE Pale Ale if you don't think the OG is high enough):

Water balanced toward sulfate over chloride. Full LoDo hot side.

10 Gallon batch
1.058 OG
1.011 FG
6.16% ABV

83% Fawcett Pearl Malt
10% Weyermann Pale Wheat
3.5% Fawcett CaraMalt
3.5% Flaked Oats

30 min boil

Columbus FWH to 20IBU Calculated
2oz Columbus @ Flameout (35 min whirlpool)
8oz Galaxy Whirlpool (Chilled to 175F, added 1/2 for 30 min and 1/2 for 15 min)

1272 fermented at 67F. Soft crashed to 55ish under pressure. Dumped yeast.

8 oz Galaxy dry hop under pressure and purged headspace. Let stand for a couple of days and then cold crashed under pressure, transferred to kegs, and forced-carbed.

It is easily the best NEIPA I have brewed to date and looked exactly like the picture for the entire 8 weeks it was on tap. No oxidation; no clearing; just doughy malt and bitter, dank, overripe-fruity goodness from the Galaxy.

Along with oxygen management, the soft crash before dry hopping was the key for me to get the character I was looking for in these beers. I would not hesitate to use this recipe as a base to try out different flavor/aroma hop varieties and different base malt varieties.

Strange color. It almost looks like you mixed a beer with milch. My current neipa looks the same. That causes this white color? Wheat malt? I will try to avoid it next time.

Mine was
68% Maris Otter
14% Wheat malt
4% Chit Malt
4% oat malt
4% Honey malt
7% table sugar

LoDO
No boil/RAW

Has anyone tried fermenting, dry hopping, carbing and serving from a fermzilla? I’m strongly considering getting one with the thought process being this:

1. Ferment as usual. Crash to drop yeast. Purge the collection container at the bottom, open the valve to remove yeast.

2. Add dry hops to the collection container and purge like crazy. Open the valve to allow dry hops into the beer with zero oxygen.

3. Crash to drop dry hops to the bottom. Purge the collection container again, open the valve to remove dry hops.

4. Carbonate as usual and serve directly from the vessel.

This way the beer is never transferred, and the only potential for oxygen is when opening the valve, but the container can be purged every time.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermzilla-conical-fermenter-71-gal-27.html
depends on how fast you drink it. you're gonna wanna get ALL the trub, yeast, and hops out of there. if you can, you're good. otherwise its not ideal, but still pretty good.

there are new, better PET all in ones coming out with true 60 degree cones for better dumping.

Strange color. It almost looks like you mixed a beer with milch. My current neipa looks the same. That causes this white color? Wheat malt? I will try to avoid it next time.

Mine was
68% Maris Otter
14% Wheat malt
4% Chit Malt
4% oat malt
4% Honey malt
7% table sugar

LoDO
No boil/RAW
It’s from hops that are high in polyphenols. Specifically, a lot of the Southern Hemisphere hops (galaxy, Vic secret, enigma, etc...). That’s what gives the beer that opaque pale appearance.

depends on how fast you drink it. you're gonna wanna get ALL the trub, yeast, and hops out of there. if you can, you're good. otherwise its not ideal, but still pretty good.

there are new, better PET all in ones coming out with true 60 degree cones for better dumping.
I could also still transfer from the fermzilla into a keg like I always do. I’m just intrigued by never having to transfer it at all.

exactly. if you drink it quickly, the dumping issue isnt a big deal. but they take up much more room that a keg, so you're likely to have less variety of beer on tap at any given time.

Hey dudes! Dropping in to see if I can get some ideas on how to make my NEIPAs better. This seems to be the place.

I brewed my last beer, photo below:

NEIPA9.JPG

It tunrned out ok. My friends liked it, but there are some flaws I want to see if yall can help with.

Here is the recipe:
Grain NameOriginal Amount (lb)
Pilsen Malt, Best MALZ15
Golden Promise, Fawcett3.5
White Wheat Malt, Briess2
Flaked Oats1.5
Honey Malt, Gambrinus0.625

Hop NameOriginal Amount (oz)Addition Time
Galena0.460
Idaho 71.510
Idaho Gem0.510
Idaho 71.5Flameout
Idaho Gem0.5Flameout
Idaho 73Whirlpool
Idaho Gem1.5Whirlpool
Idaho 72Dry Hop
Idaho Gem5.5Dry Hop

Total IBUs: 36

Yeast was WY1318 (London Ale III). Fermented at 67F for 10 days. Then soft crash to 58F for 2 days. Dry hop at 58F for 2 days. Then cold crash to 38F for 2 days. Then kegged.

I close transfer everything, and do the CO2 push into the keg filled with sani. No issues there.

My problems:

1. Lacking flavor. This is my biggest pet peeve! All of my NEIPAs have been just lacking in the juicy flavor department. Aroma has been absolutely fantastic, but the flavor isnt like the juciness I get from the great NEIPAs I get commercially. Not sure what my issue has been. I have used all the popular hops, Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, Idaho 7, Idaho Gem, Amarillo, Motueka, Simcoe, etc. Still same outcome. Any advice here to get the juiciness?

2. Hop burn on this one. Still there after about a month in the keg. The DH I used on this one was pretty large, so I may dial that back down to like 5 or 6oz/gal. Any thoughts here? Maybe a long cold crash? Is 7.5oz too much?

3. Big bitterness. I think this may be the root of why I am not getting the juicy flavor to pop through. There is always a really firm bitterness. I may ditch the 60min hop addition. Maybe my WP temp is too high? Too long? I usually do 30min, starting at 165F. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance guys!

Got my Riwaka today. Finally have all the my hops for my favorite ipa I brew! Hopefully the wife lets me brew this weekend! View attachment 700514
Nice...I still haven’t tried Riwaka yet but it’s on the list for sure. I just got 2 pounds of the 2020 Nelson from YVH in the mail about 30 minutes ago. Have you, or anyone else, tried this years YVH Nelson? Just curious on initial opinions about it.

Hey dudes! Dropping in to see if I can get some ideas on how to make my NEIPAs better. This seems to be the place.

View attachment 700526

It tunrned out ok. My friends liked it, but there are some flaws I want to see if yall can help with.

Here is the recipe:
Pilsen Malt, Best MALZ15
Flaked Oats1.5

Galena0.460
Idaho 71.510
Idaho Gem0.510
Idaho 71.5Flameout
Idaho Gem0.5Flameout
Idaho 73Whirlpool
Idaho Gem1.5Whirlpool
Idaho 72Dry Hop
Idaho Gem5.5Dry Hop

Yeast was WY1318 (London Ale III). Fermented at 67F for 10 days. Then soft crash to 58F for 2 days. Dry hop at 58F for 2 days. Then cold crash to 38F for 2 days. Then kegged.

I close transfer everything, and do the CO2 push into the keg filled with sani. No issues there.

My problems:

1. Lacking flavor. This is my biggest pet peeve! All of my NEIPAs have been just lacking in the juicy flavor department. Aroma has been absolutely fantastic, but the flavor isnt like the juciness I get from the great NEIPAs I get commercially. Not sure what my issue has been. I have used all the popular hops, Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, Idaho 7, Idaho Gem, Amarillo, Motueka, Simcoe, etc. Still same outcome. Any advice here to get the juiciness?

2. Hop burn on this one. Still there after about a month in the keg. The DH I used on this one was pretty large, so I may dial that back down to like 5 or 6oz/gal. Any thoughts here? Maybe a long cold crash? Is 7.5oz too much?

3. Big bitterness. I think this may be the root of why I am not getting the juicy flavor to pop through. There is always a really firm bitterness. I may ditch the 60min hop addition. Maybe my WP temp is too high? Too long? I usually do 30min, starting at 165F. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance guys!
Nothing looks wrong in the recipe, I assumed There’s a typo and your talking about 6 oz Dh in a beer, not per gallon. Be sure to purge vessels, kegs and lines of o2 prior to racking. For your exact recipe, I enjoy Idaho gem personally for its Supplemental candied cherry note but would pair it with something more pronounce. What’s the age of your hops? And/or have they been packaged properly? Fresh, potent hops can make a recipe completely different simply from quality.

Last edited:

View attachment 700526

Here is the recipe:
Pilsen Malt, Best MALZ15
Flaked Oats1.5

Galena0.460
Idaho 71.510
Idaho Gem0.510
Idaho 71.5Flameout
Idaho Gem0.5Flameout
Idaho 73Whirlpool
Idaho Gem1.5Whirlpool
Idaho 72Dry Hop
Idaho Gem5.5Dry Hop

My problems:

Thanks in advance guys!
I agree with Dgallo. Nothing stands out as being obviously problematic.

What kind of attenuation are you getting (OG/FG)?

How are you mashing/boiling?

What does your water profile look like?

How healthy are your fermentations (lag time/time to finish)?

Nice...I still haven’t tried Riwaka yet but it’s on the list for sure. I just got 2 pounds of the 2020 Nelson from YVH in the mail about 30 minutes ago. Have you, or anyone else, tried this years YVH Nelson? Just curious on initial opinions about it.
I haven’t tried this years but from talks with the members in my club and some commercial versions of 2020 nelson I heard/found there is a herbal component, kinda a basil mint but not quite.. and paired with its traditional dank/ white winey note. The beer I brew is nelson, Riwaka, and Galaxy, so when I do get to it I’ll let you know. I’m hoping it’s good because I have about 2.5 lbs of it for my IPAS and NZ Pilsners

Last edited:

View attachment 700526

Here is the recipe:
Pilsen Malt, Best MALZ15
Flaked Oats1.5

Galena0.460
Idaho 71.510
Idaho Gem0.510
Idaho 71.5Flameout
Idaho Gem0.5Flameout
Idaho 73Whirlpool
Idaho Gem1.5Whirlpool
Idaho 72Dry Hop
Idaho Gem5.5Dry Hop

My problems:

Thanks in advance guys!

1. Oxygen is all I can really think of but it sounds like you've got that under control... another thing you could try is to brew the Trillium Melcher Street clone. I think there is something about that 100% CTZ whirlpool and big fruity dry hop (doesn't have to be Mosaic) that really brings out more depth and layers to the flavor.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/trilium-melcher-street-clone.582962/
2. Hop burn is a big problem for me if I use more than 2 oz of the more potent hops (Idaho 7, Vic Secret, Galaxy, Strata). The beeer is usually drinkable after 4 weeks in the keg (versus the usual 2 weeks), but even so... I don't want to wait that long! I've started to reserve these hops to only use 1-2 oz as an accent. I also plan to reduce wheat & oats to get lower protein, use whirlfloc and gelatin next time I want to brew with any of those hops to see if that makes a difference in how soon the burn goes away.

3. Just lower the 60 min addition, maybe start by halving it. You could even ditch it or move it to 30 min. I've been gradually lowering the IBU's of my 60 min addition and have been happy with the results.

Back