New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed one with 4 oz Nelson, 2 oz t90 Citra, 2 oz Citra lupomax and it turned out perfect. The Nelson came thru slightly and the Citra provided a solid backbone. Not necessarily “popped” but was balanced, not overdone like sometimes I get with highly hopped beers with nelson
I did a Citra Nelson DIPA before with 4oz Nelson, 4oz Citra T90 and 2oz lupomax and it was a really nice beer. Scored 40/50 in a local competition. Felt the Nelson was just slightly lost at this ratio which is why I was thinking 2:1:1 Citra as I find Nelson and Nectaron in the same vein flavor wise, just Nectaron is a more amped up hop. With that 10oz dry hop I felt I could have gone a bit more which is why I started pushing 12-14oz dry hops but think that might be too high.

My dry hop process is pressure transfer after a soft crash to 50C into a fermentation purged keg. I usually leave the hops at this temperature for 36-48 hours, rousing with co2 a couple of times a day. Then cold crash and transfer. Think I'm getting pretty good extraction doing this method.

I've brewed a ton NEIPAs, pretty much all in the 6.5% to 7% range with ~20 IBU's in the boil, and I've got them dialed in pretty well. I'm going to push my next one into the 8.5% range (all the best NEIPA's are 8-9%, right?) and I'm looking for any tips or things I should keep in mind. My thoughts are basically get the O.G. near 1.080, use some pils to keep it light, sugar to get the F.G. down a bit, increase the boil IBU's to 30, and increase whirlpool and DH quantities. Any thoughts?

7 lb 2 row (34%)
7 lb pils (34%)
3 lb malted oats (15%)
2 lb wheat (10%)
1 lb flaked oats (5%)
0.5 lb sugar (2%)

0.75 oz warrior 60 min (30 IBU)
4 oz mosaic whirlpool
2 oz mosaic lupo whirlpool
6 oz mosaic dry hop
2 oz mosaic lupo dry hop

Imperial Juice

I am curious how people feel about that combo. If you were to use that combo, would you use 1/3 of each or a different ratio? The same hops on the hot side as the dry hop addition?

I ask because I have been getting better with my base NEIPA recipe and my process, but I tend to play with different hop combos and I have missed the mark a few times. A few years ago I brewed a Citra + Mosaic NEIPA that was solid, and I have been telling myself I need to cycle back and brew one with a very classic combo. I have fresh packs of Citra, Mosaic and Amarillo hops. (I also have a bunch of other American hops, nothing from Australia or NZ)
I’d probably use mosiac/Amarillo 1:2 hotside and then dryhop Citra mosaic Amarillo 2:1:1 ratio for the first time. That said I really like Citra. Don’t think you can go wrong. Just accentuate whichever one of those hops you like most

Last edited:
I’d probably use mosiac/Amarillo 1:2 hotside and then dryhop Citra mosaic Amarillo 2:1:1 ratio for the first time. That said I really like Citra. Don’t think you can go wrong. Just accentuate whichever one of those hops you like most
I've done an amarillo @ 30 min., followed by 1:1:1 WP and DH, which came out great. I just think you cannot go wrong with this trinity no matter the ratio. 4-5 years ago Stone had a limited release "Mojay" with this combo (it may have been their homebrew winner). That was my inspiration. The look and taste was OJ.

7F229555-3BAC-4A00-AC21-1CE7A63AF3FF.jpeg

4 gallons

5 lbs Briess Pilsen light DME
1/2 lb Golden naked oats
1/2 lb flaked oats

60 minute boil
Hops:
Cascade 1 oz- Mash
Cascade 1 oz- 60
Amarillo 1 oz- 40
Amarillo 1 oz- 20
Citra 1 oz- 20
Citra 2 oz- whirlpool

OG: 1.07
FG: forgot to check

Cascade 1 oz- dry hop #1 day 1
Mosaic 1 oz- dry hop #1 day 1

Cascade 2oz- dry hop #2 day 6
Mosaic 2oz- dry hop #2 day 6

Yeast: Labelle labrew 2 packets

Open fermentation 5 days in bucket with tin foil. Air locked on day 6. Bottled on day 12 with autosiphon and bottle wand into PET bottles pre primed with priming sugar 1/2 teaspoon for 500ml bottles. Topped off leaving less than 1/2 inch of head space and Squeezed bottle and capped on top of beer. Did not carb until after day 8.

Tried this on days 5,6,7,8 post bottling, started harsh but increasingly smooth with each day. Had my friend try it who practically drinks hill farmstead exclusively and has a huge bottle collection. Had this to say:

“It’s solid. Carbonation is great. It’s got a strong malty backbone to it. Hops come out nicely. A good homebrew for sure.”

Thanks for everyone’s help with this style it was my first home brew venture. Second if you count the first one three years ago that I did with my BIL that turned brown in the bottles and was undrinkable.

Last edited:
View attachment 811306

4 gallons

1/2 lb Golden naked oats
1/2 lb flaked oats

60 minute boil
Hops:
Cascade 1 oz- Mash
Cascade 1 oz- 60
Amarillo 1 oz- 40
Amarillo 1 oz- 20
Citra 1 oz- 20
Citra 2 oz- whirlpool

Open fermentation 5 days in bucket with tin foil. Air locked on day 6. Bottled on day 12 with autosiphon and bottle wand into PET bottles pre primed with priming sugar 1/2 teaspoon for 500ml bottles. Topped off leaving less than 1/2 inch of head space and Squeezed bottle and capped on top of beer. Did not carb until after day 8.

Tried this on days 5,6,7,8 post bottling, started harsh but increasingly smooth with each day. Had my friend try it who practically drinks hill farmstead exclusively and has a huge bottle collection. Had this to say:

“It’s solid. Carbonation is great. It’s got a strong malty backbone to it. Hops come out nicely. A good homebrew for sure.”

Thanks for everyone’s help with this style it was my first home brew venture. Second if you count the first one three years ago that I did with my BIL that turned brown in the bottles and was undrinkable.
Cheers to your first brew! What’s your process with the DME? I’ve found that adding it at the end of the boil (or better yet, not boiling it at all) produces a lighter beer, both in color and malt flavor. Highly recommended for this style. Check out this thread, it helped me a ton New England IPA - Blasphemy - No Boil NEIPA

Cheers to your first brew! What’s your process with the DME? I’ve found that adding it at the end of the boil (or better yet, not boiling it at all) produces a lighter beer, both in color and malt flavor. Highly recommended for this style. Check out this thread, it helped me a ton New England IPA - Blasphemy - No Boil NEIPA
I just added it to the boil at random times throughout the boil to avoid it bubbling over. The one I just brewed is a blond ale but I just used the same DME but only boiled it for about 20 minutes based on what I’ve read on this forum it seems like it doesn’t matter but I didn’t know it actually changed the flavor and color that’s amazing and hopefully will work well in the hoppy blond ale! Thanks for the tip maybe next time I’ll try no boil ! Much easier for brew day it took me forever to cool the wort in the sink!

I finally got around to brewing up @Noob_Brewer CTZ/Galaxy beer! Excited to see how it comes out.
It's a bit of a departure from your recipe from the grain bill and the hop amounts, but it should roughly have the same vibes.

6ish gal batch split two ways.

Whirlpool
CTZ 4oz
Galaxy 2oz
Nectaron 2oz
Citra Incognito 10mg (last minute addition to the hop bill)

Dry Hop for Galaxy brew:
1oz CTZ Lupomax
4oz Galaxy

Dry Hop for Nectaron brew:
1oz CTZ Lupomax
4oz Nectaron

Galaxy actually smelled really good, but this is after I brewed with a bad batch that was super hop burny. YVH sent me an extra pound and guaranteed that this is a better batch.

Will report back in a few weeks on how I like Nectaron and how this CTZ combo comes out :)

I finally got around to brewing up @Noob_Brewer CTZ/Galaxy beer! Excited to see how it comes out.
It's a bit of a departure from your recipe from the grain bill and the hop amounts, but it should roughly have the same vibes.

Whirlpool
CTZ 4oz
Galaxy 2oz
Nectaron 2oz

Dry Hop for Galaxy brew:
1oz CTZ Lupomax
4oz Galaxy

1oz CTZ Lupomax
4oz Nectaron

Galaxy actually smelled really good, but this is after I brewed with a bad batch that was super hop burny. YVH sent me an extra pound and guaranteed that this is a better batch.

Will report back in a few weeks on how I like Nectaron and how this CTZ combo comes out :)

Very interested to see how this works out as I've a CTZ and Mosaic DIPA planned in the next few weeks. Just received my Yakima order with CTZ Lupomax and 2022 Mosaic.

What do you think of the new galaxy from YVH? The two bags I’ve used didn’t smell off, they were just so MEH. Almost no aroma when opening the bag, maybe a subtle peach note, wondering if that’s just the way is or just bad bags @secretlevel

Whirlpool
CTZ 4oz
Galaxy 2oz
Nectaron 2oz

Dry Hop for Galaxy brew:
1oz CTZ Lupomax
4oz Galaxy

1oz CTZ Lupomax
4oz Nectaron

Looks good, I typically add in late boil additions and with a smaller WP load. What temp you whirlpooling at?

Looks good, I typically add in late boil additions and with a smaller WP load. What temp you whirlpooling at?

I have been liking 175F as whirlpool temp. I also usually love late additions, but got a few notes in competitions for "bitterness" and have seen folks report extra bitterness after using Incognito (and possible hop burn from Galaxy) so I opted for no boil additions this time.

What do you think of the new galaxy from YVH? The two bags I’ve used didn’t smell off, they were just so MEH. Almost no aroma when opening the bag, maybe a subtle peach note, wondering if that’s just the way is or just bad bags @secretlevel

I thought it smelled good with that classic peach and pineapple gummy bears, but let's see how it tastes in a few weeks here.

I have been liking 175F as whirlpool temp. I also usually love late additions, but got a few notes in competitions for "bitterness" and have seen folks report extra bitterness after using Incognito (and possible hop burn from Galaxy) so I opted for no boil additions this time.
If you want to get the best from incognito I would suggest using it at knockout. Doesn’t really do much in the whirlpool. It’s very coagulant and you’ll more likely leave it all behind in the kettle.

Ive only started entering comps and did a few last year. While I did place 2nd with one Hazy, I too got some of these "bitterness" comments but one suggested it was due to high dry hop rates. So, I've kept 15,10,5min boil additions but have dialed back my dry hop charges a bit and been liking the results overall. Instead of 10-12oz total dry hops, I been doing 8-10oz depending on the hop variety and ABV. I haven't entered any comps with these reduced dry hop rates but I do think Im getting more character of the hops overall. Seems like my palate got used to the higher hop rates and kinda forgot what you also can get when you drop it down a notch. lol

Hey everyone, anybody of you already took the Craft beer and Brewing (CB&B) course with Scott Janish?
I am a full access subscriber and I've started the course, but still need to finish it. :)
There were already some interesting pieces of information in there.
Will report back with a summary once I've finished the course.
In other news, I highly recommend listening to the CB&B podcast about west coast ipa with the brewers from Russian Ruver, Green Cheek and North Park.
It has an insane amount of information about the process side of making IPA's (not NEIPA, but definitely applicable to NEIPA)
For example, they focus on the effect of pH in different parts of the process. Also the the more process side (rousing or not, capping the tank or not, temperatures) of dry-hopping is discussed.
A lot of this information is not new, but is scattered over different podcasts, while this podcast sort of brings all this information together.

In other news, I highly recommend listening to the CB&B podcast about west coast ipa with the brewers from Russian Ruver, Green Cheek and North Park.
Their latest one is with BKS Artisan Ales from Kansas City. Anybody had their beers? It sound like they are mostly for tap room sales. They won a GABF silver medal in 2021 for Clouds hazy double IPA. A homebrew recipe for that beer is available for subscribers on their website. I won't give all the details, but the recipe has two dry hop additions each with an 8 oz combo of Citra, Simcoe, El Dorado and Mosaic. So 6 oz in the whirlpool and 16 oz in the dry hop!

Podcast Episode 288: BKS Softens the Edges of Hazy IPA by Pushing Beyond Common Practice
https://beerandbrewing.com/podcast-episode-288-brian-and-mary-rooney-of-bks-artisan-ales/

Haven't listened to the last podcast, but I definitely will, as I go in general through all their podcast, because somehow brewers really go in depth into their processes in their podcasts.
It is quite crazy how open NEIPA brewers have become about their processes.
Who could imagine 5 years ago that Nate from Tree House would post 30min long videos with in depth tours of different parts of the brewery. 😅
There's almost too much information out there now.
What I do gather from all the NEIPA podcasts, recipes and articles that are online, that there are many different ways to make a NEIPA, wherein decisions you make in the mash and the boil affect what you should do in fermentation and dry hopping and that It's mainly important to get to know your system. Especially for dry-hopping you need to figure out which processes work for your system, e.g. in the CB&B west ipa podcast, there's a point where they discuss how one brewer (North Park) needs to rouse or circulate the tank after dry-hopping to get enough extraction from the hops, while another brewer(Green Cheek) never rouses the tank, but still gets enough extraction by playing with pressure in the tank to force the hops floating on top to sink.

4 gallons

1/2 lb Golden naked oats
1/2 lb flaked oats

60 minute boil
Hops:
Cascade 1 oz- Mash
Cascade 1 oz- 60
Amarillo 1 oz- 40
Amarillo 1 oz- 20
Citra 1 oz- 20
Citra 2 oz- whirlpool

So I didn’t mention in my original recipe that I did split this into two different batches with slight variations. I’ll name them A and B for the purpose of my question. The main difference is dry hop dose, fermentation vessel, fermentation temperature, and duration of time spent in primary before bottling. Here’s the breakdown:

A- fermented in Carboy, dry hopped with 1.5 oz cascade and .5 Oz mosaic on day 1 of fermentation. Fermented in my house at ambient temp of roughly 70 degrees the entire time (unsure of temperature in the fermenter). Fermented for 10 days before bottling.

B- fermented in bucket, dry hopped with 3 oz mosaic and 3 oz of cascade (1 oz each on day 1 and 2 oz each on day 6) Fermented for first 6 days with ambient temperature of roughly 65 degrees, fermented at 70 degrees for the last 5 days and bottled on day 11 post fermentation.

The picture I posted is of B beer. All this information to ask why is A beer barely carbonated. Not a single one from that batch was carbonated more than a tiny little bit of bubbles not a full layer of foam. The priming procedure was exactly the same for both batches (1/2 teaspoon poured through sanitized funnel). Any ideas?

Last edited:
So I didn’t mention in my original recipe that I did split this into two different batches with slight variations. I’ll name them A and B for the purpose of my question. The main difference is dry hop dose, fermentation vessel, fermentation temperature, and duration of time spent in primary before bottling. Here’s the breakdown:

A- fermented in Carboy, dry hopped with 1.5 oz cascade and .5 Oz mosaic on day 1 of fermentation. Fermented in my house at ambient temp of roughly 70 degrees the entire time (unsure of temperature in the fermenter). Fermented for 10 days before bottling.

B- fermented in bucket, dry hopped with 3 oz mosaic and 3 oz of cascade (1 oz each on day 1 and 2 oz each on day 6) Fermented for first 6 days with ambient temperature of roughly 65 degrees, fermented at 70 degrees for the last 5 days and bottled on day 11 post fermentation.

The picture I posted is of B beer. All this information to ask why is A beer barely carbonated. Not a single one from that batch was carbonated more than a tiny little bit of bubbles not a full layer of foam. The priming procedure was exactly the same for both batches (1/2 teaspoon poured through sanitized funnel). Any ideas?
My guess would be there’s more yeast in suspension due to the 2nd dry hop, so B carbed faster. IME a little time and A will catch up with B

My guess is You’re experiencing hop creep in addition to the yeast priming the higher Dryhopped batch. That’s why it’s carbing faster. I also would suspect that it will become over carbed on you

Last edited:
Maybe I missed the announcement email but I just noticed YVH has spectrum in 20g satchels. Has anyone tried it yet? It’s pretty pricey at $25 per 20g

Hey guys what water profile you have settled? I have seen people using up to 220ppm Cl... But I am actually guessing that less is more since there is a proper Cl/SO ratio... thanks so much

Hey guys what water profile you have settled? I have seen people using up to 220ppm Cl... But I am actually guessing that less is more since there is a proper Cl/SO ratio... thanks so much
The ratio is actually less important than the ppms are. A ratio just gives you a relationship between the two. Put it this way, if your making dinner and it calls for 2:1 ratio of pepper to salt but you only put 2 flakes of pepper and 1 grain of salt into the recipe. Though you followed the ratio it called for, the meal will be unnoticeable and terribly under seasoned. Same goes for your water chemistry.

I’m roughly at;
Ca - 100ppm
Mg - 9ppm
Cl - 225ppm
Na - 75 ppm
So4 - 130

Ca - 100ppm
Mg - 9ppm
Cl - 225ppm
Na - 75 ppm
So4 - 130

Curious if you use anything besides gypsum and Calcium Chloride? I generally use those and if I hit those numbers my Ca would be about double.

Looks like you might be adding normal table salt, NaCl, to get there, given the higher Na numbers. Probably answered my own question.

Curious if you use anything besides gypsum and Calcium Chloride? I generally use those and if I hit those numbers my Ca would be about double.

Looks like you might be adding normal table salt, NaCl, to get there, given the higher Na numbers. Probably answered my own question.
I start with 61 calcium, so I need to use nacl to elevate my Cl so that I can use gypsum to raise my so4 without letting my ca get too high. Sometimes I add some mgso4 too so that I am able to save some of the Ca for the cacl, as it’s more efficient at raising the cl. Its always a balancing act when using my tap water as my starting water

@Dgallo - Do you have a recent recipe that includes weights and timing for your hop additions? I know they vary based on hop varietal and recipe, but your beers look great and I'd like to see what your current recipe looks like.

Whirlpool
CTZ 4oz
Galaxy 2oz
Nectaron 2oz

Dry Hop for Galaxy brew:
1oz CTZ Lupomax
4oz Galaxy

1oz CTZ Lupomax
4oz Nectaron

How did these end up turning out? Which one did you prefer?

I’m really curious as I was thinking of doing CTZ and Idaho 7 on the hot side with Galaxy and Necatron on the cold side.

@Dgallo - Do you have a recent recipe that includes weights and timing for your hop additions? I know they vary based on hop varietal and recipe, but your beers look great and I'd like to see what your current recipe looks like.
I typically just give ratios so it allows people to scale the recipe to their batch size. But If it’s helpful I’ll give you the oz/gallon too.

This would be a Dbl IPA (8.2-8.8%)
Grains;
70% -2row or pils
20% - spelt
10% -malted oats

Hop schedule
15 ibus during boil - usually 20 addition of Columbus

Whirlpool at 1oz/gallon @160*f
2:1 strata to citra - Since I’d be roughly at 6.75 gallon (aim for 6 in fermenter) it be
4.5oz strata
2.25oz citra

Dryhop at 2-2.5oz/gallon after droping the yeast and at 56*f for 36-48 hours;
1:1:1 ratio of Citra t90 to Citra LUPOMAX to strata;
4.5 oz Citra t90
4.5oz Citra LUPOMAX
4.5oz strata

***this recipe would expect absolute care and attention to anti-o2 practices***

Last edited:

Whirlpool
CTZ 4oz
Galaxy 2oz
Nectaron 2oz

Dry Hop for Galaxy brew:
1oz CTZ Lupomax
4oz Galaxy

1oz CTZ Lupomax
4oz Nectaron

Ok, I've been exposed through YouTube and the secret is out haha. Here's a TL;DR

First of all, @Noob_Brewer thanks for the CTZ/Galaxy idea, it's an amazing combo! Really happy with both beers, CTZ works as a great base for these super fruity hops. I can't discern CTZ as dank, spicy or herbal, it just boosts the other hops. Also my description above isn't the final amounts, I ended up using 1oz of CTZ Lupomax and 5oz of either Nectaron or Galaxy, for a total of 2oz/gal. I also threw in 10g of Citra Incognito

Galaxy batch
Overripe mango and passionfruit aroma. Predominantly overripe mango and ripe pineapple flavor, followed by the classic white gummy bear vibe. As the beer warmed up and I kept drinking it, there was a slight onion vibe, but overall I was surprised how much I liked it! No hop burn at all which was awesome.

Nectaron batch
Intense peach and cantaloupe aroma. Major stonefruit and green cantaloupe, with a tiny bit of NZ diesel. Nectaron wasn't as explosive an in-your-face as Galaxy, but it did have pretty nice qualities that reminded me of Nelson or even a slightly more subtle Citra. I'd definitely always pair it with others rather than on its own.

It was close, but I definitely dig Nectaron more. It's much more easy-going and tropical with a hint of diesel, which I personally love. Having said that, I'm sharing these with a couple of friends in the next few weeks so we'll see what they say!

PS. Shameless YouTube plug of the brewday + tasting.
Galaxy / Nectaron

Galaxy-Nectaron-Sm.JPG

Ok, I've been exposed through YouTube and the secret is out haha. Here's a TL;DR

First of all, @Noob_Brewer thanks for the CTZ/Galaxy idea, it's an amazing combo! Really happy with both beers, CTZ works as a great base for these super fruity hops. I can't discern CTZ as dank, spicy or herbal, it just boosts the other hops. Also my description above isn't the final amounts, I ended up using 1oz of CTZ Lupomax and 5oz of either Nectaron or Galaxy, for a total of 2oz/gal. I also threw in 10g of Citra Incognito

Galaxy batch
Overripe mango and passionfruit aroma. Predominantly overripe mango and ripe pineapple flavor, followed by the classic white gummy bear vibe. As the beer warmed up and I kept drinking it, there was a slight onion vibe, but overall I was surprised how much I liked it! No hop burn at all which was awesome.

Nectaron batch
Intense peach and cantaloupe aroma. Major stonefruit and green cantaloupe, with a tiny bit of NZ diesel. Nectaron wasn't as explosive an in-your-face as Galaxy, but it did have pretty nice qualities that reminded me of Nelson or even a slightly more subtle Citra. I'd definitely always pair it with others rather than on its own.

It was close, but I definitely dig Nectaron more. It's much more easy-going and tropical with a hint of diesel, which I personally love. Having said that, I'm sharing these with a couple of friends in the next few weeks so we'll see what they say!

PS. Shameless YouTube plug of the brewday + tasting.
Galaxy / Nectaron

View attachment 813354
thanks for the shout out man. Yes, I agree that Columbus is a wonderful hop for these hazies that add an element of depth to the other more fruity hops for sure. I watched your video and agree that nectaron indeed have a small element of the "NZ Diesel" but its restrained and awesome. Need to revisit my nectaron/nelson combo which I loved that also included Waimea on the hotside and a splash of citra on hot and coldsides. Cheers!

Done quite a few Citra Mosaic Eldorado and Citra Mosaic and Galaxy. Don't have access to every hop out there and was thinking of these combinations but was wondering what people though. No boil additions, WP and then Dry Hop only.

WP: Citra Eldorado
DH: Citra Eldorado Strata

DH: Citra Eldorado Strata Rakau

DH: Citra Eldorado Strata Mosaic

DH: Citra Eldorado Mosaic , NZH-107

Enigma Galaxy double ipa
73% gambrinus pils
16% spelt
11% malted oats.
About to transfer to serving keg.
I really like this beer. I brewed this with a friend that wants to learn how to homebrew.

Way to spread the good word of homebrewed NEIPA! How would you describe the flavors from this beer? Is it pretty Galaxy-dominated with white gummy bears/pineapple or does Enigma throw a bunch of berries or white grapes in there?

Back