New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried the Farmhouse Brewing IPA yeast blend? Sounds awesome! http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/farmhouses-ipa-yeast-blend/

"We took our favorite hazy IPA yeasts and created a blend that we use in house at our brewery Rock County Brewing Company. We were blending this each time we brewed and after a discussion Omega was kind enough to put the blend together for us to share with all of you great homebrewers. This is the first run of the blend and we are testing out as I write this but we would also like to get your feedback. You can expect this to be a very citrus/fruit forward yeast blend that accentuates all the wonderful hazy IPA hops. We start this at 62 and ramp to 65 on day 2 then 68 on day 3. We typically dry hop day 3 @ 80-85% of expected attenuation, them let it finish out and dryhop again on day 5 or 6 after crashing."

I'm not sure how I feel about the dry hopping after crashing. Has anyone had any Rock County Brewing Company beers? Are there IPAs any good?

i was reading something that said Alchemist dryhops near freezing. not sure if it’s BS. Farmhouse Brewing Supply is a great store. I’ve talked with the people there and they seem to be on top of things. That said, cold dry hopping isnt somethng i’ve tried

i was reading something that said Alchemist dryhops near freezing. not sure if it’s BS. Farmhouse Brewing Supply is a great store. I’ve talked with the people there and they seem to be on top of things. That said, cold dry hopping isnt somethng i’ve tried

Meh, Alchemist isn't something I want to copy, anyway. While one of the originators, they're waaaay behind on the NE IPA thing. I would consider cold dry hopping just to see what happens, though, but I don't really want to waste 10 gallons on that.

I have dry hopped cold.... did not love it. My results corresponded with info below. I do all dry hopping at room temperature. I wonder if the cold beer temps/dry hops could also be some of the issues people have with "keg hopping" that have talked about. Here is some good info from NHC this summer - YCH Hops presenting

Presentation - Temperature starts around 17-18 minutes in..... lots of other good info in here in addition:
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homebrewassoc/wp-content/uploads/Dry-Hopping-Effectively-1.m4v

Power point - scroll down - there is a slide on effects seen at different temperature dry hopping:
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homebrewassoc/wp-content/uploads/Dry-Hopping-Effectively.pdf
Dryhop Temperature
Lots of options on this, really depends on what you want to achieve. 3 categories to discuss:
1) 60F to 70F- Emphasis on fruity, juicy, citrus compounds. Increased efficiency and increased VDK...need longer secondary rest.
2) 50F to 60F- Balance between Fruity, Juicy, grassy, piney, earthy aromas and flavor. Decent Efficiency and moderate VDK
3) Below 50F- Emphasis on harsher grassy, vegetal flavor and aroma

A couple common problems that people do have with these beers (besides oxygen) are harshness of hops (dry hopping too low on temp perhaps). Another problem is Diacetyl - perhaps as a result of late dry hop and pulling off yeast too fast to not take up the VDK from dry hopping which can jump start small fermentation that goes unfinished at the end and carries diacetyl over to final beer.

My dry hop is all at room temp which gives me the fruity emphasis...... It is also on day 2-3 which gives biotransformation and it also gives active yeast time to deal with the VDK while they are active, plus I am not taking the beer to the keg until 10 days later as well. Not that all of that was by design - but, reflecting on my process vs. the above observations on the slide - might be part of the reason I have had good success with these beers.

I have dry hopped cold.... did not love it. My results corresponded with info below. I do all dry hopping at room temperature. I wonder if the cold beer temps/dry hops could also be some of the issues people have with "keg hopping" that have talked about. Here is some good info from NHC this summer - YCH Hops presenting

Presentation - Temperature starts around 17-18 minutes in..... lots of other good info in here in addition:
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homebrewassoc/wp-content/uploads/Dry-Hopping-Effectively-1.m4v

Power point - scroll down - there is a slide on effects seen at different temperature dry hopping:
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homebrewassoc/wp-content/uploads/Dry-Hopping-Effectively.pdf
Dryhop Temperature
Lots of options on this, really depends on what you want to achieve. 3 categories to discuss:
1) 60F to 70F- Emphasis on fruity, juicy, citrus compounds. Increased efficiency and increased VDK...need longer secondary rest.
2) 50F to 60F- Balance between Fruity, Juicy, grassy, piney, earthy aromas and flavor. Decent Efficiency and moderate VDK
3) Below 50F- Emphasis on harsher grassy, vegetal flavor and aroma

A couple common problems that people do have with these beers (besides oxygen) are harshness of hops (dry hopping too low on temp perhaps). Another problem is Diacetyl - perhaps as a result of late dry hop and pulling off yeast too fast to not take up the VDK from dry hopping which can jump start small fermentation that goes unfinished at the end and carries diacetyl over to final beer.

My dry hop is all at room temp which gives me the fruity emphasis...... It is also on day 2-3 which gives biotransformation and it also gives active yeast time to deal with the VDK while they are active, plus I am not taking the beer to the keg until 10 days later as well. Not that all of that was by design - but, reflecting on my process vs. the above observations on the slide - might be part of the reason I have had good success with these beers.

+10000 on this. VDK formation from dry-hopping is a real thing. Beer needs to time to deal with those byproducts, and by cold-crashing/keg-hopping, you're taking a big risk.

Meh, Alchemist isn't something I want to copy, anyway. While one of the originators, they're waaaay behind on the NE IPA thing. I would consider cold dry hopping just to see what happens, though, but I don't really want to waste 10 gallons on that.

i might eventually do a double 3G batch comparison. sounds like people dont like it though. if there are two beers i’d like to make, it would be Heady and Focal.

"We took our favorite hazy IPA yeasts and created a blend that we use in house at our brewery Rock County Brewing Company. We were blending this each time we brewed and after a discussion Omega was kind enough to put the blend together for us to share with all of you great homebrewers. This is the first run of the blend and we are testing out as I write this but we would also like to get your feedback. You can expect this to be a very citrus/fruit forward yeast blend that accentuates all the wonderful hazy IPA hops. We start this at 62 and ramp to 65 on day 2 then 68 on day 3. We typically dry hop day 3 @ 80-85% of expected attenuation, them let it finish out and dryhop again on day 5 or 6 after crashing."

I'm not sure how I feel about the dry hopping after crashing. Has anyone had any Rock County Brewing Company beers? Are there IPAs any good?

A quick look on Untappd shows that their beers aren't super awesome. That being said I just ordered a pack of this to give it a try. I also e-mailed them asking for more details on the "blend" -- hoping they respond so we can get a bit more info on what the heck this actually is.

One in the glass..... one in the kettle.

This one I used 1318 Yeast and 3:1:1:1 Citra/Simcoe/Mosaic/Centennial - Turned out really well. 6 ounces in flameout after 160 degrees and 6 ounce dry hop on day 2-3. All hops in loose. Kegged on day 12-14 range.

This one I used 1318 Yeast and 3:1:1:1 Citra/Simcoe/Mosaic/Centennial - Turned out really well. 6 ounces in flameout after 160 degrees and 6 ounce dry hop on day 2-3. All hops in loose. Kegged on day 12-14 range.

I just finished making several beers with this strain. I made a small blonde, harvested yeast, and then built starters with the saved yeast. The beers all ended very high in FG. I was pretty disappointed. I’ve also heard of others having similar issues with this strain. The kicker is that despite the high ending gravities, several of the beers were excellent. They were the best session IPAs I’ve made. They did all end in the 1.020s though when I would have expected maybe 1.012-1.018 range.

I have also had issues with the OMEGA yeast finishing high. I switched to Imperial Barabarian and had much better results.

What recipe design did you follow from this thread? Can't remember the post number!

Drinking my 12th iteration of this recipe and oh boy... this is a good one! I stole the hob combo from Great Notion's Overripe. Really nice dank, pine, berry, lime and papaya. This is absolutely one of my favorites so far, close to as good as the original, but pretty different.

1 oz Columbus (0 min)
0.5 oz Simcoe (0 min)
0.5 oz Motueka (0 min)
1 oz Azacca (0 min)

1 oz Columbus (whirlpool)
0.5 oz Simcoe (whirlpool)
0.5 oz Motueka (whirlpool)
1 oz Azacca (whirlpool)

1.5 oz Simcoe (dry hop 1)
1.25 oz Motueka (dry hop 1)
0.75 oz Azacca (dry hop 1)

2 oz Simcoe (dry hop 2)
1.75 oz Muteuka (dry hop 2)
0.75 oz Azacca (dry hop 2)

B1LbJvT.jpg

Seen on a few posts about when people taste samples of this recipe but no one ever talked about the taste of their samples. Copied 1418 post to the tee. Gravity came out a little low and used 1318 yeast. Tasted sample after 7 days in conical. Tasted like pure hop water. A little too extreme with lots of hop burn. Crashed sample in fridge to drop out hop matter so was a pretty clean sample. This is after all dry hopping. Is this pretty normal?

Which strains do you prefer from Imperial Yeasts? I have barbarian and citrus on hand and I can blend them to get dry hop too. Sadly, I don't have access to the rest so Juice is out of question. I want to try all 3 at some point but I can have some advice for which one to start with.

Seen on a few posts about when people taste samples of this recipe but no one ever talked about the taste of their samples. Copied 1418 post to the tee. Gravity came out a little low and used 1318 yeast. Tasted sample after 7 days in conical. Tasted like pure hop water. A little too extreme with lots of hop burn. Crashed sample in fridge to drop out hop matter so was a pretty clean sample. This is after all dry hopping. Is this pretty normal?

Have not really ever sampled mine that early, so I can't say for sure. But, I would anticipate it being rougher at day 7 than day 14 or 21. I would give it some more time in the fermenter (day 12 or so) and then keg. Keep carbonation on the lighter side as more CO2 will give it a carbonic bite and accentuate any bitter/harshness you already dislike.

Which strains do you prefer from Imperial Yeasts? I have barbarian and citrus on hand and I can blend them to get dry hop too. Sadly, I don't have access to the rest so Juice is out of question. I want to try all 3 at some point but I can have some advice for which one to start with.

I've used them all (Barbarian, Juice, Dryhop, Citrus) - I personally really like DryHop and Juice for the NEIPA style. I love Barbarian for a nice IPA and Pale Ale. Citrus was great as well but to me it was very close to DryHop. I should maybe go back and give it another try. If I had the ability to, I would love to do all 4 side by side.

I've used them all (Barbarian, Juice, Dryhop, Citrus) - I personally really like DryHop and Juice for the NEIPA style. I love Barbarian for a nice IPA and Pale Ale. Citrus was great as well but to me it was very close to DryHop. I should maybe go back and give it another try. If I had the ability to, I would love to do all 4 side by side.

On theory I could do 3 of them side by side but it would be 5 liter batches and dry hopped beers are already hard to bottle (I know, I should keg but I can't afford it right now), so bottling 3 small batches is really hard work and even harder to keep oxidation low.

On theory I could do 3 of them side by side but it would be 5 liter batches and dry hopped beers are already hard to bottle (I know, I should keg but I can't afford it right now), so bottling 3 small batches is really hard work and even harder to keep oxidation low.

yeah, I wouldn't even attempt to bottle.

Brewed this recipe up again for the first time in awhile. Went with Galaxy/Citra/Denali, 1318. Pretty bummed the 2 row I received from Morebeer was very poorly crushed so I ended up with a SG of 1.047. Anyone had this problem with Morebeer? Guess I will end up with a session IPA, not really what I was shooting for. Wondering if I should pull back on the dry hops. Don’t really want to end up with bitter hop water. Guess it’s time to pick up a grain mill.

Brewed this recipe up again for the first time in awhile. Went with Galaxy/Citra/Denali, 1318. Pretty bummed the 2 row I received from Morebeer was very poorly crushed so I ended up with a SG of 1.047. Anyone had this problem with Morebeer? Guess I will end up with a session IPA, not really what I was shooting for. Wondering if I should pull back on the dry hops. Don’t really want to end up with bitter hop water. Guess it’s time to pick up a grain mill.

you wont regret having your own mill

I ended up with a SG of 1.047. Anyone had this problem with Morebeer? Guess I will end up with a session IPA, not really what I was shooting for. Wondering if I should pull back on the dry hops. Don’t really want to end up with bitter hop water.

Heh, that's still pretty strong by British standards, we're all trying to work out how to interpret NEIPAs into something more sessionable...

If you're that bothered, you can always bump up the gravity with extract or sugar.

Heh, that's still pretty strong by British standards, we're all trying to work out how to interpret NEIPAs into something more sessionable...

If you're that bothered, you can always bump up the gravity with extract or sugar.

Yea I thought of that. I had a small amount of DME on hand that I threw in. Just going to ride it out. I don’t mind a lower abv beer, actually kind of prefer it lately. Just wasn’t was I was shooting for here. Gonna put the grain mill on the Xmas list though! Recommendations?

Bissell Brothers in Portland, ME has done just that with Diavoletto.

http://www.bissellbrothers.com/diavoletto/

When I had it on draft this summer I was pretty shocked it was 3% abv. Beer still had some body and was loaded with hop aroma and flavor. Great little beer there. Not sure what they are doing to get the amount of body it had at 3% but I was impressed.

The lowest I've seen at a homebrew level is 2.5%, but from what I've seen of commercial beers it seems to get really difficult to balance things once you drop below 4.5% or so. Which of course is where I'm aiming for, just waiting for the new season hops to come in for my "Threequarters" beer.

Bissell Brothers in Portland, ME has done just that with Diavoletto.

http://www.bissellbrothers.com/diavoletto/

When I had it on draft this summer I was pretty shocked it was 3% abv. Beer still had some body and was loaded with hop aroma and flavor. Great little beer there. Not sure what they are doing to get the amount of body it had at 3% but I was impressed.

all you have to do is up the character malts a bit and mash really high, like 165F with a mashout. You’ll get a great session IPA with great body. Low attenuation yeasts help too

just brewed with a20 (Citrus) yesterday, first time using it so hopefully it comes out well. I want to try juice, dryhop, and barbarian but Citrus was the only one I could find that could be shipped to me relatively quickly at a decent price. Unfortunately the one LHBS in my state (NJ) that did sell Imperial, no longer does.

HFD7T3O.jpg

I thought I’d share this pic. Quite a few variables though. This was brewed a little over 11 week ago and bottled/kegged about 10 weeks ago. It is the recipe from post 1418. I should have used identical glasses though. Glass on the right is from the Keg. It was dry hopped with 3 oz on day 3 and 3 oz in the Keg. It has held up really well until the last week or so. The aroma is starting to fade and is browning a bit. Glass on the left came directly out of the fermenter from the valve on my SS Brewbucket primed with a domino dot. So it only saw the first dry hop.

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere in this thread of someone using 3 different strains of yeast to brew this beer. Can't seem to find the post.

I thought I read somewhere in this thread of someone using 3 different strains of yeast to brew this beer. Can't seem to find the post.

Not sure what post it was but that may have been me. I brew 15G batches so I regularly split it with 3 strains. I used 1318, S04 and OYL-057. Everyone who tried it preferred the 057. The tropical notes blend in really well. So well in fact that I would have never realized how much aroma was from the yeast had I not split a batch 3 ways. I'm a big fan of that yeast. I even put their advertised temperature range to the test by splitting a batch and fermenting 5G at 67F with another 5G at 90F. IMO, there was no perceivable difference between the two batches. As you might guess, the batch fermented at 90F did finish quicker though.

Not sure what post it was but that may have been me. I brew 15G batches so I regularly split it with 3 strains. I used 1318, S04 and OYL-057. Everyone who tried it preferred the 057. The tropical notes blend in really well. So well in fact that I would have never realized how much aroma was from the yeast had I not split a batch 3 ways. I'm a big fan of that yeast. I even put their advertised temperature range to the test by splitting a batch and fermenting 5G at 67F with another 5G at 90F. IMO, there was no perceivable difference between the two batches. As you might guess, the batch fermented at 90F did finish quicker though.

huh. i wasnt a huge fan of 057. it was ok. tasted mostly like apple esters to me. you CAN go hot though

You're likely thinking of a reference to the thread where there's been some basic DNA analysis of Tree House Julius, which points to them using a blend of Fermentis S-04, T-58 (Belgian) and WB-06 (wheat beer) for fermentation and a conditioning yeast (likely Fermentis F-2) for natural carbonation and oxygen scrubbing. Experiments suggest that you want something in the region of a 85:10:5 or 90:5:5 ratio for a good result, just a hint of Belgian aromatics coming through without overwhelming it. But some people have preferred that combination to Wyeast 1318. But I guess if you search on T-58 or WB-06 you'll find the post on this thread you were thinking of.

Latest posts

Back