New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you use a pump with this filter or is gravity enough to transfer with all the hop matter clogging the pump with time?

Gravity feed works fine for me and i dry hop with 6 OZ no cold crash. Never clogged with hops but it did clog on me when i used hibiscus flower on a kettle sour I made. It was a hoppy sour 4 OZ dry hop, 10 oz of hibiscus flower so there was a lot of junk in there.

Re: Hop Burn...

Is it possible that mineral levels would play a part? I'm no chemist, so I ask out of sheer naivete. The beer I'm having issues with had high fairly levels of chloride, so perhaps that's something to look into. Water chemistry is below:

100% RO Water
Gypsum: 0.35 g/gal
CaCl: 0.70 g/gal
NaCal: 0.15 g/gal

How about pH? Doubtful, I suppose, but it can't hurt to ask those smarter than I. I don't have a pH meter, but calculated mash pH (per Bru'N Water) was 5.4.

I'm no water expert that's for sure but I like to go "extreme" with my water profiles. My NE style IPA's i use 250 PPM chloride:50 PPM sulfate. My west coast style IPA's i use 300 PPM sulfate:50 chloride. PH is usually 5.3-4 for NE and 5.1-2 for WC. I've only gotten the burn when keg hopping regardless of style. Now that others have mentioned their experience though I'm leaning more towards the yeast and hop interaction during fermentation and even when the beer is kegged.

I'm using one of these attached to the spigot of my fermenter to the out post on my keg to do a closed transfer, filters down to 100 micron (they have more sizes if you want). Got it for about $20 - $25 from vacmotion.com

Do you purge the filter before transferring? I am curious on how people minimize O2 exposure when using these because I sometimes get a stuck closed transfer and have looked into them.

Do you purge the filter before transferring? I am curious on how people minimize O2 exposure when using these because I sometimes get a stuck closed transfer and have looked into them.

I purge the air out of my sanitized keg before I start to transfer so its filled with CO2. I hook the filter onto the keg to the "out" post first and it purges the filter with the CO2 inside the keg. I've never had a problem with oxidation doing this. I like all my IPA's way lighter on the color spectrum than most (SRM 2-4) and its the same color when it kicks as it is when it pours but again my kegs usually only last 3 weeks.

I'm using one of these attached to the spigot of my fermenter to the out post on my keg to do a closed transfer , filters down to 100 micron (they have more sizes if you want). Got it for about $20 - $25 from vacmotion.com

Do you find that this filter gets clogged before the transfer is complete? I would think removing the filter to clean it mid transfer would introduce oxygen.

I'm using one of these attached to the spigot of my fermenter to the out post on my keg to do a closed transfer, filters down to 100 micron (they have more sizes if you want). Got it for about $20 - $25 from vacmotion.com

This looks awesome. Will do some research on this

Is it possible that the burn is from increased polyphenols in this style? This article seems to suggest that perhaps a way to counter it would be to increase the % of oats. The author refers to it a "harshness":

http://scottjanish.com/researching-new-england-ipa-neipa-haze/

The polyphenols may also be the reason for the browning we have seen from the bottled styles so maybe that can be combated by increasing the oats as well. Here is an old article (1999) explaining polyphenols. One of the key takeaways:

"Polyphenols come from plant matter, among other sources. They are responsible for the browning in cut apples, pears, bananas, potatoes, and other foods."

https://byo.com/bock/item/305-brewing-science-understanding-polyphenols

Gravity feed works fine for me and i dry hop with 6 OZ no cold crash. Never clogged with hops but it did clog on me when i used hibiscus flower on a kettle sour I made. It was a hoppy sour 4 OZ dry hop, 10 oz of hibiscus flower so there was a lot of junk in there.

Thank you, it turns out a friend of mine has one of these I'll filter my next dry hopped beer with that.

I'm no water expert that's for sure but I like to go "extreme" with my water profiles. My NE style IPA's i use 250 PPM chloride:50 PPM sulfate. My west coast style IPA's i use 300 PPM sulfate:50 chloride. PH is usually 5.3-4 for NE and 5.1-2 for WC. I've only gotten the burn when keg hopping regardless of style. Now that others have mentioned their experience though I'm leaning more towards the yeast and hop interaction during fermentation and even when the beer is kegged.

Interesting. I ended up with about 120 ppm Chloride and 30 ppm Sulfate for this beer. Doesn't seem like that would be a contributing factor. Perhaps the keg hop in conjunction with some other factor can be the root cause.

Is it possible that the burn is from increased polyphenols in this style? This article seems to suggest that perhaps a way to counter it would be to increase the % of oats. The author refers to it a "harshness":

http://scottjanish.com/researching-new-england-ipa-neipa-haze/

The polyphenols may also be the reason for the browning we have seen from the bottled styles so maybe that can be combated by increasing the oats as well. Here is an old article (1999) explaining polyphenols. One of the key takeaways:

"Polyphenols come from plant matter, among other sources. They are responsible for the browning in cut apples, pears, bananas, potatoes, and other foods."

https://byo.com/bock/item/305-brewing-science-understanding-polyphenols

I used 1.5 lbs of rolled oats in this beer, so I'd lean towards a negative on oats helping. That is, unless it would have been far worse had I not used oats!

Keg-hopping on a homebrew level is a risk altogether. I think there is a resounding affirmation within this thread that supports keg-hopping at least contributing, if not responsible, to the "hop burn". Not to mention, you're taking a risk getting vegetal (onion, chive, garlic) notes with keg-hopping. Not only is it unreproducible on a bigger scale, most commercial breweries will tell you that dry-hopping a beer post-cold crash (sub 50ºF temps) will result in vegetal notes that are impossible to remove from your beer.

Keg-hopping on a homebrew level is a risk altogether. I think there is a resounding affirmation within this thread that supports keg-hopping at least contributing, if not responsible, to the "hop burn". Not to mention, you're taking a risk getting vegetal (onion, chive, garlic) notes with keg-hopping. Not only is it unreproducible on a bigger scale, most commercial breweries will tell you that dry-hopping a beer post-cold crash (sub 50ºF temps) will result in vegetal notes that are impossible to remove from your beer.

Always have seen folks talk about the off flavors like listed above you get from keg hopping. Not had it myself. Not Measuring what is achievable on a commercial scale as it’s a hobby still at this point.

Brulosophy did a great article on keg hopping over a long period of Time. Had no issues of off flavors.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/06/27/warm-dry-hop-vs-cold-keg-hop-exbeeriment-results/

WARNING - LONG POST

I have learned a lot from this thread so I thought that I would "give back". In addition to the general recipe posts, there are a lot of process related questions. I have version #24 & 25 of this beer fermenting right now. With the help of the HBT community and tips from this thread I have gotten the process down to a science on my equipment. Here is my process beginning to end, I figure it may be useful to some of the folks just starting out to shorten their learning curve or others that have similar equipment. I have won gold & silver medals in homebrew competitions with variations of this recipe.

Equipment: Grainfather w/ hop spider, Speidel fermenter with thermowell and spigot on top & bottom, temp controlled mini-fridge

Distille Water Gypsum Epsom Calcium Chloride Lactic Acid
Mash (6 gal) 0.5tsp 0.5 tsp 1.75tsp 1.5mL
Sparge (3 gal) 0.25tsp 0.25tsp 0.75

Resulting OVERALL water = Ca:105; Mg:6; Na:0; Cl: 151; SO4:70

I. Make 1.5L starter 24hr prior
A. 6oz DME & 1/4tsp yeast nutrient – 24hrs pre-pitch
B. Decant yeast slurry from mason jar to ~150mL before pitching
C. Wash & sanitize mason jar
D. Prior to pitch fill sterilized / sanitized pint mason jar w/ ~400mL of starter (~60billion yeast) – store for next batch, remaining 1L of starter pitched into wort

II. Recipe – Assume 79% efficiency; 1.064SG – 1.013FG --- 6.7%ABV
• 10lbs – Golden Promise (double milled) or 2-Row or split combo
• 2lbs – Flaked Wheat
• 1lbs – Flaked Oats
• 1/2lbs – Honey Malt
NOTE: Using all GP & 8ozs of honey malt will result in a burnt orange color rather than bright orange hue from all 2-row & less Honey Malt - also all GP will be have a little more residual sweetness in final product

III. Mash at 154 degrees for 90mins
A. Check pH after 10mins – target 5.3-5.4. Add 0.5mL acid if necessary (If requires more than 2mL total – recalibrate meter)
B. Check for conversion with Iodine
C. Refractometer ~15.5 Brix (1.060SG)
D. Mashout at 168 degrees for 10min

IV. Sparge @168 – should take 30-45min
A. Set switch to BOIL
B. Allow to fully drain to a trickle before sparging, press top plate to grain bed
C. Pour ½ gal pitcher of sparge water at a time, allow to drain until no longer visible above top plate
D. Leave grain pipe until no more drippings OR less than 3 Brix in refractometer
E. Final Volume ~28L - ~14.5Brix or 1.056SG

V. Boil
A. Add 1/2oz bittering hops
B. Should be at 25L around an hour, next is sterilization which takes 10-15min
i. Add hop basket
ii. Add ½ tsp yeast nutrient
iii. Add lid and start circulating wort chiller – allow first dripping to drain off before draining into kettle. Check periodically to make sure flowing. If not, stop the boil, allow temp to drop to 200 then restart pump.

VI. Whirlpool - Set switch to MASH and set temp to 140
A. Drape sanitizer soaked paper towel over lid hole
B. WP #1 –180degrees – 3oz hops – continuously chill to 140, stir occasionally. (Using Grainfather counterflow chiller it takes about 15min to go from 180-140)
C. WP #2 – 140degrees – 4oz hops, stop chilling and hold for 15min – stir occasionally, then chill while transferring to fermenter
D. MAKE SURE FERMENTOR SPIGOTS ARE OFF BEFORE TRANSFER (I assume this needs no explanation....:( )
E. Accounting for trub, hop absorption, & evaporation – transfer ~22L to fermenter. After pitching starter volume in fermenter should be 5.75-6gal

VII. Fermentation: Starting ferm temp – Conan: 63degrees; WY1318: 65degrees
A. Day 1-5 pitch temp: Dryhop #1 – 4oz, 48 hours after pitching starter
B. Day 6-7 add 2degrees: Dryhop #2 – 3oz on Day 7 - Turn on CO2 hose and hold over opening while adding dryhop
C. Day 8-9 add 2degrees
D. Day 10-11 add 2degrees: Remove blowoff tube & close top spigot. Pressurize fermenter by attaching CO2 hose to bottom spigot and bubble some CO2 into fermenter (prevents suck back & O2 exposure while cold crashing)
E. Day 12 – Cold crash: 40degrees for two days

VIII. Kegging
A. Fill CLEAN keg w/ sanitizer water, soak 15min – invert halfway through, soak 15min
B. Hook up keg to draft & CO2, Push out sanitizer through draft line.
C. Once it “blows” – place upside down for 5-10 to let settle, then pull PRV until no more sanitizer sprays
D. Remove poppet from keg OUT post
E. Attach transfer hose to bottom spigot of fermenter, other end to keg OUT
F. Attach CO2 hose to top spigot of fermenter, set pressure to ~5lbs then transfer
G. Unscrew PRV just enough where relieve pressure
H. Transfer until beer sprays out of PRV
I. Close PRV, replace poppet then proceed with carbing

I have the Clear Beer Draught system in my IPA kegs. I used to keg dryhop but I don't any longer because I was losing about 1/2 gallon on beer to hop absorption and I saw no benefit of keg hopping. I did a side by side versions of dryhop #2 in fermenter vs keg. Out of ten of my beer snob friends - no one could reliably tell the difference - testing across entire age of keg (newborn to four weeks). In both situations two weeks post keg - 28 days from grain - is the absolutely peak in flavor / aroma. Nevertheless I still use the CBD system and love it because I never have to worry about the oft talked about "cloudy first couple of pints".

IMG_7757.jpg

Took a look at site - they show filters at 100 mesh, and 10 micron. but no 100 micron. You use one of those?

Drinking my Citra, Mosaic, and El Dorado version of this right. Not as pungent as with Galaxy, but I think the El Dorado adds a bit of watermelon/pear. Its really approachable and crushable (even if I'd prefer it a bit more hop intensity).

ievoraO.jpg

I've been trying to keep a running list of all the hop combos I've tried, roughly ranked favorite to least favorite. They've all been great.

1) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy
2) Mosaic
3) Citra
4) Citra/Equinox
5) Citra/Mosaic/El Dorado
6) Galaxy/Azacca
7) Galaxy
8) Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus
9) Azacca
10) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy (sacch trois)
11) Nelson

For those that brew the IPAs all the time - how long until they loose their freshness in the keg? I have a 2.5 gallon keg that I’m thinking small batches might be the better route. I’ve had some that were even 1 month old in the can that loose that hop freshness quickly.

For those that brew the IPAs all the time - how long until they loose their freshness in the keg? I have a 2.5 gallon keg that I’m thinking small batches might be the better route. I’ve had some that were even 1 month old in the can that loose that hop freshness quickly.

I dry hop in the keg, heavy 2-5 oz. First 3 days are out of this world. After 2 weeks, a lot of aroma is gone. After 1 month, still decent but probably 50% of what it once was. YMMV.

I have never keg hopped.
With 6-7oz at whirlpool and 6oz in the fermenter, my keg is always fresh for 4-5 weeks. By that time it's almost empty. I had a keg that lasted 2 months and it was very very good. I am doing a no oxygen transfer. My beer is always better after 2 weeks in the keg.

I have never keg hopped.
With 6-7oz at whirlpool and 6oz in the fermenter, my keg is always fresh for 4-5 weeks. By that time it's almost empty. I had a keg that lasted 2 months and it was very very good. I am doing a no oxygen transfer. My beer is always better after 2 weeks in the keg.

Exactly what i have noticed with mine as well.

A minimum of two months if you don't let one oxygen molecule touch it! Probably longer, but the kegs never stick around.

A minimum of two months if you don't let one oxygen molecule touch it! Probably longer, but the kegs never stick around.

This is what commercial brewers are seeing as well with these beers...except its 1-2 weeks in the brite tank instead of the keg.

I'm with the above posts...at 2 months still tasting great and retaining color. If you're having issues with it fading I would ensure you're limiting O2 exposure on the cold side and also reducing the number of times you need to purge the keg as that is letting out aroma/flavor as well IMO.

This is what commercial brewers are seeing as well with these beers...except its 1-2 weeks in the brite tank instead of the keg.

I can't say I agree. Commercial cans that I get fall off a lot faster, and this doesn't surprise me based on how much O2 the beer is exposed to during canning. You can do a lot better on the homebrew scale going into kegs if you're careful. After reading your post again, I'm not sure if you're talking about commercial cans or kegs.

I'm with the above posts...at 2 months still tasting great and retaining color. If you're having issues with it fading I would ensure you're limiting O2 exposure on the cold side and also reducing the number of times you need to purge the keg as that is letting out aroma/flavor as well IMO.

I haven’t starting nerding out on these beers yet with my own gear, just have had a bunch of them and visited Alchemist recently.

I know my West Coast IPAs peak at like 4 weeks in the keg so I was thinking since these beers are all aroma hops it would be shorter.

I guess I’ll start at the small batch and see what age does to it. There seems to be enough info out there around oxygen so will look out for that 🙄

That's what I do, I ferment 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon corny with a spunding valve and a floating dip tube. After 9 days I jump to a water purged 3 gallon corny, never touches O2 and the beer is already carbonated. Jumping beer to the new keg take about 5 mins. Repeat every 3-4 weeks as needed.

Just ordered the grain bill for this again, deciding what hops ill use. I still like a 60min bittering addition, usually .75oz of warrior (im in the minority i know). I tried a red a while ago using 85% red x malt 15% flaked oats, el dorado/belma/huell melon. Came out really good but not NEIPA like, way too malty. Thinking of using the same hop combo and Braufessor's grain bill. Thoughts on this combo?

I can't say I agree. Commercial cans that I get fall off a lot faster, and this doesn't surprise me based on how much O2 the beer is exposed to during canning. You can do a lot better on the homebrew scale going into kegs if you're careful. After reading your post again, I'm not sure if you're talking about commercial cans or kegs.

On a homebrew level, the cold-storage in keg, and subsequently the beer tasting the best 10-14 days out, is akin to what commercial brewers see in their brites. Most will cold crash in their fermentors, transfer to brites for 1-2 weeks, then serve.

That's what I do, I ferment 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon corny with a spunding valve and a floating dip tube. After 9 days I jump to a water purged 3 gallon corny, never touches O2 and the beer is already carbonated. Jumping beer to the new keg take about 5 mins. Repeat every 3-4 weeks as needed.

That’s an interesting process-thanks.

Do you put the spunding valve on right at the beginning?
What psi do you set it to?
Do you leave it at that psi the entire time?

Do you put the spunding valve on right at the beginning?
What psi do you set it to?
Do you leave it at that psi the entire time?

I've done 4 brews with the spunding so my experience is somewhat limited (I use to just cap fermenter on day 5-6 when fermentation was winding down). I tried 2 brews where I had it on the whole time and 2 brews where I attached the spunding on day 2 when I dry hopped. Not a huge difference between the two, but waiting for 2 days to spund lets more of the yeast profile shine threw, so that's my preference. As for pressure, I start with 8-10psi then I crank it down to 25psi when I see that the pressure starts to drop slowly and I don't hear air hissing out the valve usually around day 4-5. On day 9-11 I remove the spunding and put it in fridge for 24 hrs to crash out hops, then jump to the serving keg. I attach the spunding to receiving keg and set to about 2 psi to create a back pressure so the beer does not foam up when transferring. In the fermentation keg I use the clear beer floating dip tube with a screen over the pick up, no clogged poppets, no particles in the beer, usually lose less than 1/2 gallon of beer. I came up with the system out of pure frustration of clogged closed transfers, but only having 3 gallons works out good for me since it takes my 3-4 weeks to drink it (got three other taps going).

I've done 4 brews with the spunding so my experience is somewhat limited (I use to just cap fermenter on day 5-6 when fermentation was winding down). I tried 2 brews where I had it on the whole time and 2 brews where I attached the spunding on day 2 when I dry hopped. Not a huge difference between the two, but waiting for 2 days to spund lets more of the yeast profile shine threw, so that's my preference. As for pressure, I start with 8-10psi then I crank it down to 25psi when I see that the pressure starts to drop slowly and I don't hear air hissing out the valve usually around day 4-5. On day 9-11 I remove the spunding and put it in fridge for 24 hrs to crash out hops, then jump to the serving keg. I attach the spunding to receiving keg and set to about 2 psi to create a back pressure so the beer does not foam up when transferring. In the fermentation keg I use the clear beer floating dip tube with a screen over the pick up, no clogged poppets, no particles in the beer, usually lose less than 1/2 gallon of beer. I came up with the system out of pure frustration of clogged closed transfers, but only having 3 gallons works out good for me since it takes my 3-4 weeks to drink it (got three other taps going).

I've been following basically the same process, and i'ts been working quite well for my last 5 NEIPAs. The main difference is that I just use a shortened dip tube instead of the floating dip tube. I tried the floating dip tube once, and decided it was a little more effort to clean and didn't result in more beer or cleaner beer for me. I bought a couple straight dip tubes from Austin Homebrew for like $6 each and have one that I use for standard beers (an inch or so longer, leaves behind ~0.3gal in the keg) and another that I use for dry hopped beers (leaves behind just shy of 0.5gal).

If I do a batch over 4 gallons, I'll put the spunding valve on from the start and set it to 4-5psi until fermentation is winding down. The pressure keeps the krausen from building up too high. Otherwise, I attach a blow of tube (mostly just to monitor how active the fermentation is) and switch it to a spunding valve when i add my dry hops. After fermentation, I cold crash and transfer to a pressurized water purged keg using gravity.

Going this route, nothing inside the fermenter keg is moving so nothing can get stirred up accidentally, and I get clean beer over to serving keg with no clogged keg posts. I also like to brew 6 gal batches and split them between 2 fermenter kegs to compare yeasts, dry hops, etc.

@jakturner
Sounds similar to my setup. I put the spunding on the fermenter on Day 2 after dry hopping. I usually set it around 7 psi. When I transfer, I put the spunding valve on the receiving keg as well. I have a filter on my diptube in the fermenter now and have yet to have any issues with clogging. And I use the Clear Beer system. Sometimes I use the screen on the Clear Beer, sometimes I don't. I'm trying to focus on dry hopping in the fermenter only so I shouldn't need the filter in the serving keg.

I've been curious about trying the spunding valve right away. I've read that the head pressure, if high enough, can negatively impact the yeast during fermentation.

Are you guys noticing any difference in flavor from fermenting under pressure?

I've been curious about trying the spunding valve right away. I've read that the head pressure, if high enough, can negatively impact the yeast during fermentation.

There is a lot more pressure on the yeast at the bottom of the fermenter at a commercial brewery just due to their size than from any reasonable pressure we'd apply to the head space during fermentation at the homebrew scale. So I don't think there's any need to worry about yeast health due to this. It's possible that it could have some impact on ester production, but the effect at 5psi is likely trivial. I have found that 3-5 psi does help to keep the krausen from building up as high as it usually would though.

Someone posed the question earlier in this thread about whether the beer being carbonated before cold crashing would possibly contribute to this "hop burn" that has been a hot topic lately. I don't know why it would, but I have had the burn in one batch that I've done this way, and since I was spunding, it was carbonated before cold crashing. It's not the first thing I plan to experiment with to figure out what causes it, but its on my list to test at some point in the future.

Are you guys noticing any difference in flavor from fermenting under pressure?

None yet, but I'm keeping pressure low (~2-3psi) during the first 3-4 days of fermentation. This pressure isn't any higher than what a commercial brewery would get just from the liquid pressure.

Someone posed the question earlier in this thread about whether the beer being carbonated before cold crashing would possibly contribute to this "hop burn" that has been a hot topic lately.

I doubt it... at least not in my case. None of my beers are carbed before dry hopping, and they all have the burn for around the first two weeks in the keg. I believe it's just from a high concentration of very fine, almost invisible hop particles that are very present in the beginning pours of the keg. When things settle out in the keg they end up at the bottom, and that is exactly where most kegs pull the beer from.

In support of this, when I take gravity samples, they always have the burn. Running the sample through a paper coffee filter usually takes away 80-90% of the burn, so I'm convinced, for now, that it's caused by particles.

Speaking from my experience only, I notice the burn when I do really big dry hops. On my latest, I did a 14oz dry hop for 5 gallons on Day 2 and there is still some burn to it after being in the keg for over a month. My next batch, I'm going to really tone down the dry hops to maybe 6oz and see how that goes.

Back