New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you describe the flavor and aroma you got from using all Simcoe? I am thinking about trying this as my next single hop NEIPA.

Edit: Just saw your post a page back, sounds delicious!

If you plan on going all Simcoe, what I did (after bittering to desired level with Warrior - so it's not truly a smash but the only aroma hop was simcoe), was 1 oz at 15 min, 2 oz at 5 min, 3 oz at flameout/steep 30 min, 3 oz into fermenter after chilling ('prefermentation' dry hop), 3 oz when krausen started to fall, and 4 oz traditional dry hop. So I packed a full pound in there and it's awesome.

If you plan on going all Simcoe, what I did (after bittering to desired level with Warrior - so it's not truly a smash but the only aroma hop was simcoe), was 1 oz at 15 min, 2 oz at 5 min, 3 oz at flameout/steep 30 min, 3 oz into fermenter after chilling ('prefermentation' dry hop), 3 oz when krausen started to fall, and 4 oz traditional dry hop. So I packed a full pound in there and it's awesome.

Holy F¤©K:rockin:

Okay…… This is just kind of an “update post”. The original recipe is great as is… but, here are some slightly different things I have started to do, minor changes, observations, etc. After a certain amount of time, you cannot edit a post – so I can’t really get in to make changes to the OP. I do think I can get this post linked into the OP though. Some of what follows is basically the same as the OP…. Some is different and updated. I will put the updated parts in bold italics

**I brew 6.5 gallons of finished beer (post boil)..... this allows me to leave some hop/trub behind in boil kettle and fermenter and get 5 gallons eventually into serving keg. If you finish with 5 gallons post boil, you might want to adjust hops down a bit.
6.5 gallons post boil
5.75 gallons into fermenter
5 gallons into keg

GRAIN BILL:
1.060 OG…. I think this makes a perfect compromise between getting into DIPA range (having beers that are just too high in abv. for my preference) and going too far toward 1.050 where the beer may become too much of a “session” IPA for some peoples preferences.

% and the actual amt. I use for 6.5 gallons @ 84% mash efficiency (your efficiency may vary – so use the percentages)

40% Rahr 2 Row (5.5 lbs)
40% Golden Promise (or similar…Maris Otter) (5.5 lbs)
8% Flaked Oats (1 lb)
4% Flaked Barley 1/2 lb)
4% Weyerman Wheat (1/2 lb)
2% Flaked Wheat (1/4 lb)
2% Honey Malt (1/4 lb)

60 minute mash @152-154)

*Note on grain…. Using all 2 Row for Base is probably fine. Using any combination of flaked Oats/Wheat/Barley to get into the 15-20% range is proably fine too. I do like the addition of Honey Malt and recommend keeping it.

HOPS:
**60 Min. = .75 oz Warrior
**Flame Out = 1oz. each of Citra/Galaxy/Mosaic
**Chill to 160 or below and add 1oz. each of Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy. Stop chiller and allow hops to sit for 30 minute or so. Stir up/whirlpool wort every 5 minutes or so.
Chill to 62-64 and let hops settle out as much as possible. Transfer wort to fermenter. I tend to leave behind .75 gallons of trub and hops (this is why I brew 6.5 gallon batch).

**Dry Hop #1- At day 4-6 (basically when there are a few gravity points left and beer is still fermenting). Add the following to primary fermenter:
1.5 oz. Citra
1 oz. Mosaic
.5 oz. Galaxy

**Dry Hop #2 - Around day 12, transfer to CO2 purged dry hopping keg with
1.5 oz. Citra
1 oz. Mosaic
.5 oz. Galaxy
(I use this strategy: http://www.bear-flavored.com/2014/09...no-oxygen.html )

Day 14 - Jump from Dry hop keg to serving keg. Force carbonate to moderate/moderate-low. For carbonation, I usually hook it up at 25 psi for 2 days and then back it off to 10-12 psi - generally seems to carb up best after a few days, but fine to drink after 2-3 days.

Many folks who don't keg, or don't have a dry hopping keg ask about adding all the hops to primary, or adding all the hops in a single dry hop..... that isn't what I do, but you have to make things fit your system and your process. Others do it with fine success. There is no reason it should not work to do that if it fits your system better

WATER PROFILE:
There are multiple directions to go here. Currently, I am partial to the following water addtions - 100% RO water. I add per gallon of mash and sparge water -
Gypsum = .9 grams/gallon
CaCl = .4 grams/gallon
Epsom = .1 gram/gallon
Canning Salt = .05 grams/gallon

Lactic Acid = I add about .5ml- 1ml (total) of lactic acid to the mash and the sparge. And may adjust a bit more…. Aiming for about 5.35-5.45 mash pH and Preboil kettle pH.

Using B'run Water

Ca = 100
Mg = 5
Na = 13
Sulfate = 147
Chloride = 80
Bicarbonate = 16

Mash pH = 5.37-5.42
Final runnings pH = 5.60
Pre-boil Kettle pH = 5.40-5.45
Post Boil pH = 5.3-5.35

**Water strategies to test out for yourself to see what you like best;
2:1 Sulfate:Chloride in the 150:75 range
1:1 Sulfate:Chloride in the 120-150 range
1:2 Sulfate:Chloride in the 75:150 range
All will produce a good beer… but you may find something you personally prefer.
I did go 200 sulfate:50 Cl…… it was fine…. But, it was not what I was looking for. It definitely “dried” the beer out a bit. I think it definitely moved this beer away from what most of us are shooting for in a “Ne IPA.”

Water Profile - the simple solution:
***Many people ask about a more general guide to water because they do not know what their own water profile is, or they have not made the jump to using a water profile software. I use B'run water, and the above profile. However, if you just want to get in the ballpark of something "similar" to start with..... The simplest solution is this:
100% RO water for both mash and sparge.
Per 5 gallons of mash water: 1 tsp of CaCl + 1/2 tsp Gypsum
Per 5 gallons of sparge water: 1 tsp of CaCl + 1/2 tsp Gypsum

This should bring you in around 140 Chloride and 80 Sulfate.

Or….. to try other versions….
*The opposite: 1tsp of gypsum and ½ tsp of CaCl per 5 gallon
*Equal ratios: ¾ - 1 tsp of each per 5 gallon.

This does not take into account trying to get Na or Mg numbers. It ignores bicarbonate and as it is 100% RO, it should bring your mash pH in around 5.41 without any acid addition.

ROUGH estimate of grams to tsp of minerals:
1/4 tsp Gypsum = .9 grams
1/4 tsp CaCl = 1.1 grams
1/4 tsp Epsom Salt = 1.3 grams
1/4 tsp Canning Salt = 1.8 grams

FERMENTATION
Yeast - Conan(vermont IPA), 1318 is also a yeast many choose to use in beers like this. *** I have also found that 1272 works great. I am starting to think that there are many yeasts that would likely do just fine in beers like this. 1056, 1450, 007…. I would not be afraid to try other yeasts.
I tend to start fermentation off around 62-64 at let it free rise to 66-68 degrees through the first 3 days or so of fermentation. At that point, I like to move it somewhere that it can finish off in the 68-70-72 range.

OTHER THOUGHTS/NOTES:

I keep almost everything the same in brewing IPA's to this style. However, I do mix up the hops. I always bitter with warrior (Columbus on occasion), and always use 4 sets of 3 ounce additions at Flameout, Whirlpool, Dry Hop #1, Dry Hop #2....... but, not always the same hops. I sometimes do 100% Citra. I sometimes do equal parts of Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy for all 4 additions (Grapefruit!!!!), I some times do equal parts (1.5 ounces) citra/mosaic at all 4 additions... But always the same basic amount, in the same basic schedule.
I think single hop versions of Mosaic or Galaxy would potentially be quite good. I have done 2:1 Citra:Columbus that was good. I like Simcoe/Amarillo/Centennial (but I keep centennial out of the dry hop as I find it “drying”). I have used Citra/Azacca – which was good (although Azacca can get lost as it is not as “strong” as some of the others). Personally, I think dank hops like Columbus, Eureka, etc. can get out of hand in beers like this and come off as harsh and grassy….. so, I tend to really limit them to smaller amounts. Lots of combos will work….. but, at the end of the day I still find it very hard to beat Citra:Mosaic:Galaxy combos.

I'm going to give this recipe a try tomorrow but I have a question about the water profile. If I plug this into my BnW spreadsheet and am using 100% RO water for mash and sparge, I'm not seeing a need for the lactic acid unless I'm missing something.

2017-04-03 15_23_26-Bru'n Water  [Compatibility Mode] - Excel.png

2017-04-03 15_24_17-.png

2017-04-03 15_24_28-Bru'n Water  [Compatibility Mode] - Excel.png

I got similar to what you got, so I left out the lactic acid. Beer was outstanding. I don't have a pH meter so I was at the mercy of calculators but when I make this again I will probably leave out the acid again.

I'm going to give this recipe a try tomorrow but I have a question about the water profile. If I plug this into my BnW spreadsheet and am using 100% RO water for mash and sparge, I'm not seeing a need for the lactic acid unless I'm missing something.

View attachment 395152

View attachment 395153

View attachment 395154

I kind of use a range of 5.35-5.45 of projected pH..... Yours is coming in at 5.46 (which should be fine by the way). So, a bit of lactic acid would lower that a touch. It kind of depends on exactly what additions a person chooses. When I use 125 on Sulfate and 125 on Chloride I don't use any lactic acid because the additional minerals drop the pH a touch more.
Bottom line is that 100% RO water, plus 70-140 ppm on both Chloride and Sulfate is going to be in the general ball park. A small addition of lactic acid may move the pH to the other end of the same ball park.

I kind of use a range of 5.35-5.45 of projected pH..... Yours is coming in at 5.46 (which should be fine by the way). So, a bit of lactic acid would lower that a touch. It kind of depends on exactly what additions a person chooses. When I use 125 on Sulfate and 125 on Chloride I don't use any lactic acid because the additional minerals drop the pH a touch more.
Bottom line is that 100% RO water, plus 70-140 ppm on both Chloride and Sulfate is going to be in the general ball park. A small addition of lactic acid may move the pH to the other end of the same ball park.

Thanks for the clarification. One more question, if I were to add lactic, how do I calculate the sparge water addition in Bru'n Water? For the mash I can just add it in the water additions section but the sparge section seemingly won't allow lactic additions when using 100% RO water.

I plan on brewing one of these soon, with a combination of Citra, Mosaic and Vic Secret. Never had a beer with Vic Secret but I've heard it's great. I'm using the WeldWerks Juicy Bits recipe as a base and have tweaked it slightly. They use Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado as their hop combo for FWH, then flameout and whirlpool.

https://beerandbrewing.com/weldwerks-brewing-co-juicy-bits-new-england-style-ipa/

That recipe adds 0.15oz of each at FWH, and somehow get 55 IBUs. Not sure how they get that, based on using an IBU calculator. The other question is, does it even really make sense to use those hops as the first bittering addition? My understanding is that you don't get any flavor from that addition, which is why it seems you use Warrior and then do the fruity hops at flameout etc. So does it make the most sense to just use a bittering hop and then forgo the Citra, Mosaic etc until flameout? It would save me some money, I'd have to use a lot of Citra/Mosaic/Vic Secret at FWH to get even 55 IBUs. I have some Centennial, Columbus and Chinook lying around, I guess I could just use one of those as my FWH hop? Not sure I really like the flavor of Chinook though.

My other question is, once the boil is over, adding hops does not add IBUs, right? There seems to be a lot of debate about this, that it may not add measurable IBUs, but that in taste may add 10 or 20 IBUs or so, depending. Not too sure though.

I haven't messed with my keezer since pulling off some samples for @travelinglight and never put the pressure back up. I guess it oxidized quick that way because I went to pull a glass and the color has darkended and the flavor is becoming dull. Kinda perplexed by this because, if I'm not drinking the beer and the CO2 pressure is really low it shouldn't really matter because the levels should equalize and still no oxygen should get into the kegs. So maybe it's just past it's prime. IDK just thinking out loud here

Thanks for the clarification. One more question, if I were to add lactic, how do I calculate the sparge water addition in Bru'n Water? For the mash I can just add it in the water additions section but the sparge section seemingly won't allow lactic additions when using 100% RO water.

On the water adjustment sheet there is a box a bit further down in the acid section, under the sparge water column - it will give a suggestion there for acid amount. Basically, if you wanted to drop it down closer to 5.35 than to 5.45, .5-1ml in the mash and .5ml in the sparge would probably do the trick. Either way, you are approximately where you need to be, and I can't say that it would make a detectable difference either way.

My other question is, once the boil is over, adding hops does not add IBUs, right? There seems to be a lot of debate about this, that it may not add measurable IBUs, but that in taste may add 10 or 20 IBUs or so, depending. Not too sure though.

Not only do you get IBUs from hops added after you cut the heat, you can get IBUs from dry hopping.

You can search around to verify, but I believe Martin has said a few different times that you really don't need to acidify the sparge water if you are using 100% RO. It's really the alkalinity that you are trying to overcome by acidifying and for all intents and purposes RO doesn't have any.

You can search around to verify, but I believe Martin has said a few different times that you really don't need to acidify the sparge water if you are using 100% RO. It's really the alkalinity that you are trying to overcome by acidifying and for all intents and purposes RO doesn't have any.

This is correct.

I do find that if I have a certain mash pH..... say, 5.40 for instance..... and I sparge with RO water - the wort I collect in the boil kettle will have a higher pH (maybe 5.45-5.47 or something like that). So, sometimes if I know I am already kind of on the high edge of desired pH in the mash, I will add just .5ml of lactic to the sparge water and that seems to hold the pH steady from mash to the collected wort, pre boil.

That is really the only reason I might add a small amount of acid to the sparge water if I am using RO water.

Braufessor,

Two quick questions that may have been answered in 350 pages of comments, but not on any of the ones I have read.

1) Do you use any whirl floc or irish moss ? Any yeast nutrient or zinc ?

2) do you cold crash ? what temp do you serve out of keg ?

Thank you !

Braufessor,

Two quick questions that may have been answered in 350 pages of comments, but not on any of the ones I have read.

1) Do you use any whirl floc or irish moss ? Any yeast nutrient or zinc ?

2) do you cold crash ? what temp do you serve out of keg ?

Thank you !

I do use yeast Wyeast yeast nutrient. 1/2 tsp toward end of boil.

I have used irish moss in the past in this beer..... I don't anymore. Can't say I noticed much difference. Just seemed kind of pointless to add it to this beer. I have never used Whirfloc.

I do not cold crash. Although, I do move the beer to my basement (which is about 62 degrees) and I put my fermenter up on counter top I transfer from 2 days before I keg - just to let it settle out.

Honestly, not sure what my kegerators are set at...... probably high 30's, or low 40's would be my guess. I would have to check though to be sure.

Just brewed my second go at this yesterday. Every thing was going sooo smooth, until the 60 min hop addition. Instead of adding the warrior, I accidentally added .50 ounces of citra, and made up the rest with .25 ounces of warrior. The final result is very bitter. I never use citra as a bittering hop since I've read so many bad things. Did I ruin my beer? From the sample I had after the boil was done, it was extremely bitter. I know there was a lot of Hop matter still floating around but I am wondering if the extreme bitterness is because I used the Citra for bittering. I really really hope it doesn't ruin my beer because everything else was perfect and all my numbers are spot-on. I ended up using gigayeast Vermont IPA double pitch this time around instead of the 1318 which dried my last beer out way too much. Fingers are crossed for sure

I'm not expert but I would think the opposite, adding less warrior and more citra would make it LESS bitter as the AA% is lower for Citra (15% vs 12%).

Coincidentally I did the same thing on purpose as I only had .55 oz or Warrior so I added .35 oz of citra to make up the IBUs.

If you just brewed it yesterday I don't think you can tell too much from the wort into the fermenter taste.

I'm not expert but I would think the opposite, adding less warrior and more citra would make it LESS bitter as the AA% is lower for Citra (15% vs 12%).

Coincidentally I did the same thing on purpose as I only had .55 oz or Warrior so I added .35 oz of citra to make up the IBUs.

If you just brewed it yesterday I don't think you can tell too much from the wort into the fermenter taste.

How did it come out? Everything I've read about bittering with citra says it comes out with a super harsh bitterness and tasting like cat piss. I hope that's incorrect.

Latest batch (our 3rd NE IPA) is our best yet. First batch in a SS Brewtech BME Chronical as well, which kept the process closed from yeast pitch to keg transfer (other than dry hop additions, but the headspace in the conical was flushed with CO2).

Simplified the malt bill some and tried to get more complexity out of the hop bill. Pretty excited with the result!

Brewed 3/17
Kegged 3/30

OG - 1.060
FG - 1.012
ABV - ~6.3%

Malts
5 lbs 2-Row
5 lbs Maris Otter
2.5 lbs White Wheat
12 oz Carapils
8 oz C-30L

157* Mash Temp

Hops
30 Min - 5 mL Hop Extract
10 Min - 0.5 oz Columbus
Flameout - 1 oz Columbus / 1 oz Citra / 1 oz Mosaic / 1 oz Ella
165* Hop Stand - 1 oz Columbus / 1 oz Citra / 1 oz Mosaic / 1 oz Ella

Yeast London Ale 3 (WY1318)

DH Day 2 - 1 oz Citra / 1 oz Mosaic / 1 oz Ella
DH Day 10 - 1 oz Citra / 1 oz Mosaic / 1 oz Ella

21ag475.jpg

How did it come out? Everything I've read about bittering with citra says it comes out with a super harsh bitterness and tasting like cat piss. I hope that's incorrect.

Not sure, I just racked it to the fermenter an hour ago. It was definitely bitter going in but that's to be expected when you throw 6 oz of hops in after flame out.

I'm not sure where the cat piss theory comes from but the Pseudo Sue recipe is all Citra including the bittering hops and that was delicious.

That just can't be right - otherwise, how would beers like pseudoSue and zombie dust be so damn tasty? My personal feeling is that the cat piss thing comes from and interaction between the hops and certain strains of yeast, but that is speculation based on personal experience with the few times I've tasted it in commercial beers (mostly simcoe heavy beers). I wouldn't worry - it'll taste a lot less harsh after all the hop gunk and break material settles out after fermentation.

That just can't be right - otherwise, how would beers like pseudoSue and zombie dust be so damn tasty? My personal feeling is that the cat piss thing comes from and interaction between the hops and certain strains of yeast, but that is speculation based on personal experience with the few times I've tasted it in commercial beers (mostly simcoe heavy beers). I wouldn't worry - it'll taste a lot less harsh after all the hop gunk and break material settles out after fermentation.

I think it has to do with the year/crop or the amount used.

Citra is a dual purpose hop so I don't see how it would be a bad thing to use it for bittering other than the fact that it's more expensive than traditional bittering hops.

Citra is a dual purpose hop so I don't see how it would be a bad thing to use it for bittering other than the fact that it's more expensive than traditional bittering hops.

of course - you can bitter with pretty much anything, but using citra seems a waste to me.

outside ofthat, some hope do impart different bittering flavors if used early on
for example i dont like nelson sauvin as a bittering hop. it gives off a weird bittering flavor, quite harsh, ratherthan a neutral smooth bittering.

i suspect citra may be similar in that respect.

Latest batch (our 3rd NE IPA) is our best yet. First batch in a SS Brewtech BME Chronical as well, which kept the process closed from yeast pitch to keg transfer (other than dry hop additions, but the headspace in the conical was flushed with CO2).

Simplified the malt bill some and tried to get more complexity out of the hop bill. Pretty excited with the result!

Brewed 3/17
Kegged 3/30

OG - 1.060
FG - 1.012
ABV - ~6.3%

Malts
5 lbs 2-Row
5 lbs Maris Otter
2.5 lbs White Wheat
12 oz Carapils
8 oz C-30L

157* Mash Temp

Hops
30 Min - 5 mL Hop Extract
10 Min - 0.5 oz Columbus
Flameout - 1 oz Columbus / 1 oz Citra / 1 oz Mosaic / 1 oz Ella
165* Hop Stand - 1 oz Columbus / 1 oz Citra / 1 oz Mosaic / 1 oz Ella

Yeast London Ale 3 (WY1318)

DH Day 2 - 1 oz Citra / 1 oz Mosaic / 1 oz Ella
DH Day 10 - 1 oz Citra / 1 oz Mosaic / 1 oz Ella

21ag475.jpg

I am about to do this recipe on a Brew tech BME conical, I was wondering what temps you used for fermenting, and what days you dumped trub?

I am about to do this recipe on a Brew tech BME conical, I was wondering what temps you used for fermenting, and what days you dumped trub?

Pitched at 65*, then to 67* after 48 hours, then to 70* after 96 hours and held until cold crashing. My setup only allowed me to get to 55*, which was good enough to drop some yeast and hop particles prior to transferring.

I dumped trub just before each dry hop addition, mostly for convenience. I hooked the blowoff tube up to CO2, set it to ~1 psi, dumped trub, then opened the top TC port to add the dry hop, and flushed the headspace with CO2.

The picture below is my keg transfer setup, but the CO2 was hooked up the same way for trub dumps and dry hop additions.

2l5ll.jpg

So as I'm eating dinner I reached for the salt and it dawned on me that I forgot to add the canning salt to kettle...Damnit.

Can I boil it in some water, cool it and pitch it to fermenter? It's been racked for 3 hours and no activity yet

Interesting, because I use 0% flaked grains in this style and it still looks like everyone else's. Soft mouthfeel as well. No wheat. Huh.

The yeast has close to zero percent with having to do with the cloudiness. It's the wheat primarily. Secondarily, it's the dry hops interacting with the wheat (or adjuncts such as flaked oats, etc.)

Here is a source to it for it.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-portlands-65th-craft-brewer-has-learned-to-compete-2016-07-08
Interesting, because I use 0% flaked grains in this style and it still looks like everyone else's. Soft mouthfeel as well. No wheat. Huh.

my latest trial would also seem to indicate that yeast can have an impact on haziness. i also do not use any wheat in general. i think the huge hopping is factor. not sure why else it is hazy. it could also be the type of hops used? I don't use whirfloc either, so that could definitely acct for a lot of the rest of the haze. I used WLP002 (a big flocculator) in my most recent NE IPA, and the resulting beer is a lot less hazy than my usual ones. It has an incredible hop flavor but it looks more like my usual NE IPAs at maybe 8 - 10 weeks old.

I followed Braufessor's recipe for the most part with the following changes

1) used .35oz of citra along with .55oz of warrior for bittering (out of necessity)
2) only used .75oz instead of 1oz of Mosaic for the FO and WP additions (out of necessity)
2) used Imperial "Juice" A38 yeast as my LHBS just started carrying it so I wanted to try it out.

As mentioned I also forgot to add the canning salt so my water numbers are a tad low on sodium and chloride (3, and 69 respectively)

I'll report back in a couple weeks

Just brewed my second go at this yesterday. Every thing was going sooo smooth, until the 60 min hop addition. Instead of adding the warrior, I accidentally added .50 ounces of citra, and made up the rest with .25 ounces of warrior. The final result is very bitter. I never use citra as a bittering hop since I've read so many bad things. Did I ruin my beer? From the sample I had after the boil was done, it was extremely bitter. I know there was a lot of Hop matter still floating around but I am wondering if the extreme bitterness is because I used the Citra for bittering. I really really hope it doesn't ruin my beer because everything else was perfect and all my numbers are spot-on. I ended up using gigayeast Vermont IPA double pitch this time around instead of the 1318 which dried my last beer out way too much. Fingers are crossed for sure

No - it will be fine. Wort, post-boil, always tastes basically terrible. It is no reflection on what it will taste like after fermentation. That minor change in hops should have almost no impact in my opinion.

My first batch with amarillo/citra turned out awesome! I'm already planning my second batch and I'm looking forward to change some stuff. I'll be using 1318 instead of dry yeast this time and el dorado has become available in my country too. I have citra/amarillo/el dorado/simcoe available right now. El dorado is definitely going in because I already bought some for a smash but I'm not sure about the rest.

my latest trial would also seem to indicate that yeast can have an impact on haziness. i also do not use any wheat in general. i think the huge hopping is factor. not sure why else it is hazy. it could also be the type of hops used? I don't use whirfloc either, so that could definitely acct for a lot of the rest of the haze. I used WLP002 (a big flocculator) in my most recent NE IPA, and the resulting beer is a lot less hazy than my usual ones. It has an incredible hop flavor but it looks more like my usual NE IPAs at maybe 8 - 10 weeks old.

Right. I use many different yeasts in this style - Conan, Bedford, Essex, Antwerp, and HF yeast grown up from a growler (this one works best). They all start off hazy due to the huge dry hop. But they will all become mostly clear in the keg if they make it to a month (which of course rarely happens). I use at most 3.5% GNOs, no flaked anything. But this goes back to the discussion about inverting the keg. I transfer as little yeast as possible to the keg, the beer is never milky. But recently when I inverted a keg of this stuff when is started to clear and lose some punch (did so on a whim before I came across this thread) the beer smelled and tasted almost the same as when it was freshly kegged. To me that indicates some yeast-hop interactions causing haze and carrying a ton of aroma and flavor.

Hey, anyone out there have any tips on brewing a milkshake/smoothie IPA with lactose? I recently have a passion fruit smoothie IPA from a local brewery (roughtail in OKC) and it was awesome. I was gonna use my usual NEIPA but I didn't know if I should up the IBUs so it's not too sweet, I usually aim for 30-40 IBUs. Any tips or recipes appreciated!

My first batch with amarillo/citra turned out awesome! I'm already planning my second batch and I'm looking forward to change some stuff. I'll be using 1318 instead of dry yeast this time and el dorado has become available in my country too. I have citra/amarillo/el dorado/simcoe available right now. El dorado is definitely going in because I already bought some for a smash but I'm not sure about the rest.

Glad to hear you liked the Citra/Amarillo combo. I have a Citra/Mosaic/Amarillo NHE IPA just about ready for the keg. I used S-04, what dry yeast did you use in your last batch?

Approximately, how much time passes between the flameout hop addition until the 160 degree addition. Post 1418 reads as the chiller is on the entire time until you hit 160, that would be very quick on my setup. I typically chill from boiling to 180 for my flameout addition and it only takes maybe a couple minutes. So that would pretty much seem be a single hop addition on my setup.

Approximately, how much time passes between the flameout hop addition until the 160 degree addition. Post 1418 reads as the chiller is on the entire time until you hit 160, that would be very quick on my setup. I typically chill from boiling to 180 for my flameout addition and it only takes maybe a couple minutes. So that would pretty much seem be a single hop addition on my setup.

Yeah, I think Brau has answered this before that it's basically just a minute or two while hooking up the chiller, then another couple minutes to get from 212 to 160. That's what I do and it works well. The first and second WP additions are 4-5 minutes apart. I've never tried doing them all at flameout or all at 160 but would be interested to know if it makes a difference.

Yep - it is very quick .....3-4-5 minutes maybe.

Back