New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, anyone out there have any tips on brewing a milkshake/smoothie IPA with lactose? I recently have a passion fruit smoothie IPA from a local brewery (roughtail in OKC) and it was awesome. I was gonna use my usual NEIPA but I didn't know if I should up the IBUs so it's not too sweet, I usually aim for 30-40 IBUs. Any tips or recipes appreciated!

The one time I made one of these, Years ago, I used 1/2 pound of lactose, with just 1/2 of a cara malt. Maybe use something light like cara hell. I would still suggest 45-60 IBUs

could you share your water profile with RO water? Specifically how much gypsum and CaCl you added? Thanks.

Sorry it so long.

8.75 gallons of RO water
11.67 grams gypsum
7.78 grams calcium chloride

This gave me 2:1 sulfate 241ppm : chloride 113 ppm

Just popped in my first set of dry hops (day 4). Did 1oz citra mosaic. And threw in 2oz galaxy by mistake. Thought it was only one.

So many mixed reviews on galaxy and dry hopping both temps and times. Anyone done a 2oz galaxy addition? Thinking of taking it out in 4 days. Then will keg hop a few days later with citra and mosaic whole leaf hops.

Also has anyone ever triple dry hopped? If I keep the current dry hop in for 4 days and then follow up with some mosaic and citra for 4 days and then keg hop- would that be overkill.

If I keep these in for 4 days but then have no dry hop for a week before a keg hop, would I lose too much aroma?

Just popped in my first set of dry hops (day 4). Did 1oz citra mosaic. And threw in 2oz galaxy by mistake. Thought it was only one.

So many mixed reviews on galaxy and dry hopping both temps and times. Anyone done a 2oz galaxy addition? Thinking of taking it out in 4 days. Then will keg hop a few days later with citra and mosaic whole leaf hops.

I can't see that being an issue, ive done a 5 gallon batch with 550grams of Galaxy (single hop) with a similar grain bill, i could smell it across the room!

Bittered with columbus, 150grams whirlpool steep at 70C for 20mins, 150grams whirlpool steep at 50C for 20mins and a 250gram dry hop on day 7 for 5 days.

Hey, anyone out there have any tips on brewing a milkshake/smoothie IPA with lactose? I recently have a passion fruit smoothie IPA from a local brewery (roughtail in OKC) and it was awesome. I was gonna use my usual NEIPA but I didn't know if I should up the IBUs so it's not too sweet, I usually aim for 30-40 IBUs. Any tips or recipes appreciated!

Check out post 3123. I haven't done it yet but would love to try it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7915209

Glad to hear you liked the Citra/Amarillo combo. I have a Citra/Mosaic/Amarillo NHE IPA just about ready for the keg. I used S-04, what dry yeast did you use in your last batch?

Citra/mosaic/amarillo sounds awesome, I wish I could get some mosaic. I used danstar windsor but it finished at 1.021, a little higher than I wanted but not sweet at all.

For those who use 1318 how do you get your fg lower than 1.020? I have a hard time getting it to ferment out more than that in the few times I've used it. I do make yeast starters. I want my beer a little dryer than what I've been getting.

For those who use 1318 how do you get your fg lower than 1.020? I have a hard time getting it to ferment out more than that in the few times I've used it. I do make yeast starters. I want my beer a little dryer than what I've been getting.

I am having the opposite results. For me, 1318 always attenuates more than expected. The last two batches I've done with it ended at 1.011 and 1.012.

Citra/mosaic/amarillo sounds awesome, I wish I could get some mosaic. I used danstar windsor but it finished at 1.021, a little higher than I wanted but not sweet at all.

I love Mosaic, got a couple pounds from morebeer last month to make sure I'd have plenty for the spring/summer.

S-04 worked well, took mine from 1.07 to 1.016. Started fermentation at 63 and after 3 days (1.029) rampped to 66 over 3 days. My samples have not had any of the wet cardboard/plastic esters some others have spoken of. Seems rather neutral compared to Conan (which I have used in the past) however, should let the hops shine.

Hello all,

I've been planning on brewing this beer for a while. Even bought the ingredients almost 2 months ago, but a 7 month old and living room renovation have my wife giving me the "you're not brewing this weekend" look. But it looks like I have the green light for Saturday! Have all the grain ready and have been building up a healthy pitch of 1318 built up. I'll also be breaking in my oxygenation kit and adjusting my water for only the second time.

My question: I have 8oz of Citra and 4oz of Galaxy on hand and I'm looking to make a real fruit bomb. I would use 2 parts Citra to 1 part Galaxy for the flameout,whirlpool, and each dry hop. Should I stick with these two in this ratio, add a third (Moasic?) or try to pick up some more Galaxy for a 50/50 blend? (my LHBS was limiting Galaxy to 4oz/customer when I bought it)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
John

Hello all,

I've been planning on brewing this beer for a while. Even bought the ingredients almost 2 months ago, but a 7 month old and living room renovation have my wife giving me the "you're not brewing this weekend" look. But it looks like I have the green light for Saturday! Have all the grain ready and have been building up a healthy pitch of 1318 built up. I'll also be breaking in my oxygenation kit and adjusting my water for only the second time.

My question: I have 8oz of Citra and 4oz of Galaxy on hand and I'm looking to make a real fruit bomb. I would use 2 parts Citra to 1 part Galaxy for the flameout,whirlpool, and each dry hop. Should I stick with these two in this ratio, add a third (Moasic?) or try to pick up some more Galaxy for a 50/50 blend? (my LHBS was limiting Galaxy to 4oz/customer when I bought it)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
John

I think the 2:1 Citra:Galaxy will make a great beer. If you want to stretch your galaxy out into another beer, you could buy some Mosaic and go with the 1.5 Citra: 1 Mosaic: .5 Galaxy ratio.

Personally, I would not increase the galaxy beyond what you are planning...... 1.) I don't think it brings the "fruity/juicy" character that citra or mosaic bring - I think it accents it very well, but I don't love it as the dominant hop (personal preference).
2.) You might be hard put to find galaxy right now anyway until the new harvest comes in in the next month or two.

I think the 2:1 Citra:Galaxy will make a great beer. If you want to stretch your galaxy out into another beer, you could buy some Mosaic and go with the 1.5 Citra: 1 Mosaic: .5 Galaxy ratio.

Personally, I would not increase the galaxy beyond what you are planning....

Thanks Braufessor. I'm not worried about making the galaxy last...I've already got more hops than I have time to brew with! I've never used galaxy and only used mosaic once (and it wasn't great, probably because I forgot to add the lactic acid), so I don't know what these hops contribute. Also first time brewing this style, so a lot of firsts for me here and not really sure what to expect from all of it.

Best,
John

Anyone have an issue with these really falling off VERY quickly even when kegging? I brewed a NE IPA about 19 days ago. I kegged it on day 5, used my blichmann quick carb to carb it and tried it on day 7. It was great. The great taste lasted for about a week, since then it has really dropped off in taste. To the point that yesterday it just really is not tasting very good. I did a closed transfer from the carboy with a forced CO2 transfer to a keg that had been filled with starsan water and flushed with CO2. So other than the dry hop addition on day 3, it really so no oxygen, so dont think its o2 related. It does also look a bit darker than it was.

Any ideas what is going on?

So as I'm eating dinner I reached for the salt and it dawned on me that I forgot to add the canning salt to kettle...Damnit.

Can I boil it in some water, cool it and pitch it to fermenter? It's been racked for 3 hours and no activity yet

Bump, anybody add canning salt during/post fermentation? If so, how should it be done? I'm assuming boil it in treated water, let it cool and pitch it.

Bump, anybody add canning salt during/post fermentation? If so, how should it be done? I'm assuming boil it in treated water, let it cool and pitch it.

What's the canning salt for? Water treatment? You want to hit your PH during mash its way too late to add it what's done is done, you'll be fine.

What's the canning salt for? Water treatment? You want to hit your PH during mash its way too late to add it what's done is done, you'll be fine.

not pH...just water profile. From what I understand, canning salt doesn't affect pH anyway right?

Hello all,

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
John

Personally, I would not increase the galaxy beyond what you are planning...... 1.) I don't think it brings the "fruity/juicy" character that citra or mosaic bring - I think it accents it very well, but I don't love it as the dominant hop (personal preference).
2.) You might be hard put to find galaxy right now anyway until the new harvest comes in in the next month or two.

I'll second Braufessor on this. I did one last summer that was 1:1 Citra/Galaxy in the dry hop (there was a little Simcoe and Mosaic in the boil and flameout), and it was delicious, but had a little more dankness than I wanted.
At the time I blamed it on the Simcoe, but having used a lot of Galaxy since then, I think it may be the Galaxy. It's not a bad dankness, but if I were to do that version again, I would probably go 2:1 Citra/Galaxy.
FWIW, my last version used Citra/Galaxy/Azacca in 1:1:1, and it was a glorious tropical fruit bomb. It was my first time using Azacca though, so I haven't isolated its contribution. But if you break down that ratio, it still ends up 1:2 of Galaxy/Other than Galaxy.
Galaxy is potent stuff.

but if I were to do that version again, I would probably go 2:1 Citra/Galaxy.

Thanks...I will probably go with this combo for a few reasons: 1)That's what I have on hand, 2)I've used a lot of Citra in the past and it's never failed to make a good beer, and 3)When we visited Treehouse, my wife had their Bright w/ Citra and this is the beer that converted her to an IPA drinker, so I think she'll like it. I don't know what else they're using in this version, but I'm assuming that it's mostly (or at least showcasing) Citra. I don't think I'd mind a little dankness, but I definitely want this on the fruitier side.

Thanks!
John

not pH...just water profile. From what I understand, canning salt doesn't affect pH anyway right?

Honestly, I think I would just skip it altogether if you forgot to put it in. When I used it, it was such a minimal amount anyway.... I don't think the risk/reward is at all worth it. CaCl and Gypsum are the big players on this - the other stuff may or may not matter very much truth be told. I listed it, because it was what I did.

I don't put it in all the time. I think most of my recent batches have not used salt at all.

Anyone have an issue with these really falling off VERY quickly even when kegging? I brewed a NE IPA about 19 days ago. I kegged it on day 5, used my blichmann quick carb to carb it and tried it on day 7. It was great. The great taste lasted for about a week, since then it has really dropped off in taste. To the point that yesterday it just really is not tasting very good. I did a closed transfer from the carboy with a forced CO2 transfer to a keg that had been filled with starsan water and flushed with CO2. So other than the dry hop addition on day 3, it really so no oxygen, so dont think its o2 related. It does also look a bit darker than it was.

Any ideas what is going on?

You kegged it on day 5???? 5 days after brewing it?

Pretty happy with my latest iteration. Think I'm finally getting close to the color I've been wanting. I used pilsner as the base malt and upped my wheat percentage. Also changed to 1318 yeast for the first time and did only flame out, whirlpool, and one addition of dry hops. Still plenty bitter for my tastes. This one is 1:1:1 combo of Columbus, Mosaic, and Simcoe. Has a really nice fruity/juicy dankness but I'll probably go with more citrus forward hops next time to compare. Cheers, y'all!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1491510333.199496.jpg

I had the opposite problem with it and using OPs recipe in the first post. It finished at 1.005 and was super dry. Not a bit of sweetness to it at all. I did leave it in the 2L starter on a stirplate for 3 days before cold crashing. That could have been it, but who knows. I definitely didn't like the way it tasted at that and it was very bitter, even with the low IBUs because it didn't have any sweetness to balance it out.

Just did attempt number two using the recipe in post #1418 and used Omega Vermont IPA yeast this time with no starter since it's a double pitch pouch and only a month old. We shall see how it turns out.

Pretty happy with my latest iteration. Think I'm finally getting close to the color I've been wanting. I used pilsner as the base malt and upped my wheat percentage. Also changed to 1318 yeast for the first time and did only flame out, whirlpool, and one addition of dry hops. Still plenty bitter for my tastes. This one is 1:1:1 combo of Columbus, Mosaic, and Simcoe. Has a really nice fruity/juicy dankness but I'll probably go with more citrus forward hops next time to compare. Cheers, y'all!

View attachment 395570

That looks good. If mine comes out as bitter as the first one, I'm going to cut out the 60 min hops all together, and do all flameout, whirlpool, and dry hops. If that version comes out too bitter still, I'll just do one huge whirlpool hops addition at the 160° mark for 30 mins. I'm probably going to switch the hops 2:1 citra/mosaic next time too. I want all fruitiness and no dankness to get the citrus forward flavor as well.

Picked up some Lakewood mango juice today. I had great success doing a Mago Tago-ish beer with it a year ago. 1/2 gallon in a keg, rack on top, dry hop, let it go a couple days, carb it up... pretty tasty!

Picked up some Lakewood mango juice today. I had great success doing a Mago Tago-ish beer with it a year ago. 1/2 gallon in a keg, rack on top, dry hop, let it go a couple days, carb it up... pretty tasty!

If you can get it, Harpoon makes an excellent Mango (fruit, not hops) ale called Camp Wannamango.
Normally I'm not a big fan of fruit in beer (mainly because it's usually poorly done), but this one is like juice and goes down as easy as (okay, I'll forego the obvious joke about sorority girls) juice!

You kegged it on day 5???? 5 days after brewing it?

Yeah, activity seemed to stop around late day 4. Probably going to let the next batch go 7 before legging. Brewing tomorrow, keg next Saturday, run through quickcarb and drink next Sunday.

i also get high attenuation with 1318. i set my probe on my carboy, insulate it and set for 68F with 1 degree hysteresis. i use mrmalty.com for yeast amounts and always pitch within 18 hrs of the final starter start time.

Thanks...I will probably go with this combo for a few reasons: 1)That's what I have on hand, 2)I've used a lot of Citra in the past and it's never failed to make a good beer, and 3)When we visited Treehouse, my wife had their Bright w/ Citra and this is the beer that converted her to an IPA drinker, so I think she'll like it. I don't know what else they're using in this version, but I'm assuming that it's mostly (or at least showcasing) Citra. I don't think I'd mind a little dankness, but I definitely want this on the fruitier side.

Thanks!
John

go light on galaxy if u are on the fence on dankness. your wife may not like the dank character. my wife likes fruity but when dank creeps in she is not impressed

Yeah, activity seemed to stop around late day 4. Probably going to let the next batch go 7 before legging. Brewing tomorrow, keg next Saturday, run through quickcarb and drink next Sunday.

That seems really fast to me. I tend to keg around day 12-14.

As far as them falling off..... I definitely think they do. However, I think mine are at their best from about day 18-35 or so..... After 5 weeks, I think they are in decline.

Oxygen is always a concern with these... but, it sounds like your process is fairly solid in that regard.

Just a shot in the dark - are you sure your kegs and lines are clean? Do you take kegs completely apart, soak in PBW, clean posts, etc. between beers? Lines and taps taken apart and cleaned from time to time? Infection of some sort could certainly cause decline of a good beer gradually over a couple weeks.

Here is what I am brewing tomorrow. My first BIAB all grain attempt. First 2 batches were extract.

Malts & Grains
10 lb Briess 2-Row Malt
1.5 lb Briess White Wheat Malt
12 oz Flaked oats
8 oz Briess Carapis Malt
4 oz British crystal 15L

Hops
0.25 oz Columbus Hops @ 60 min
0.75 oz Columbus Hops @ 10 min
1oz mosaic 0.5 oz exp pineapple at flameout
1 oz Columbus, 1 oz galaxy & 1 oz Citra hop stand @ 180° for 30’

Yeast
WL1318 (starter 1 liter)

Dry Hop & Fermentation
1 oz mosaic at pitch
1 oz exp pineapple at pitch
4 oz mosaic, 2 oz Citra, 2 oz galaxy & 1 oz Columbus added on 3rd day

Just a shot in the dark - are you sure your kegs and lines are clean? Do you take kegs completely apart, soak in PBW, clean posts, etc. between beers? Lines and taps taken apart and cleaned from time to time? Infection of some sort could certainly cause decline of a good beer gradually over a couple weeks.

Everything was brand new and cleaned and sanitized prior to use. Took kegs apart did complete clean, then sanitzed, then ran sanitized water through the tap lines.

I think you will be ok with galaxy. My wife also only really loves juicy NE IPA's. She loves several that feature galaxy. My last one was 50/50 citra galaxy and she really liked it.

I think you will be ok with galaxy. My wife also only really loves juicy NE IPA's. She loves several that feature galaxy. My last one was 50/50 citra galaxy and she really liked it.

Sounds like I can't go wrong, so maybe the best thing is to stick with what I've got planned (2:1 Citra/Galaxy), see how it goes, and try something else next time. Worst case is that my wife isn't feeling it and I have to drink it all myself. Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately it looks like I missed my intended window for dry hopping. Came home from work and the airlock was barely bubbling so I took a reading and it shows 1.014 which is likely fully attenuated.

Looks like I'll have to do it the boring old fashioned way and wait until the next batch to see what adding the hops in early does to the flavor profile.

Anybody else missed their window and any noticeable differences in your opinion?

Back