New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I landed at 4.9 after whirlpool and cooling to 70f the brewday went well overall though still dialing in beersmith 3 with my equipment but that's a whole other thing. I think the .1 ph drop came from adding a touch to much acid in my sparge water. I don't think it's enough for me to worry about. Fermentation kicked off within 6 hours of pitching yeast. Should I check ph again before dry hopping? I have a sample port so I can do it without oxygen exposure.
I would say, if you have the ability to take samples without risking any o2 pick up then you should, especially this time as your trying to see if you targeting 5.2 mash ph will carry you to the other targets,( KO, pre DH, post DH)without any adjustments. If you hit the numbers awesome. If you don’t then you know you need to lower or raise your knock out ph (best time post mash to adjust in my opinion).

Update: Going to use this for the next batch.

https://www.amazon.com/stainless-Co...2&psc=1&mcid=78f73e81ef243fa1916e885b33140313

I can use my dry hop chamber and purge it completely before adding to the keg
I got one of these recently and it's excellent. Only issues is they're a bit tricky to get in and out of the keg. Also if you're using a heavy dry hop load the hops tend to get stuck. I use it with the Kegland hop bong. I just hit the lid with a spanner to keep the flow going.

Brewed up my 2nd Brujos style NEIPA yesterday with a few changes... Added 1 lb maltodextrin, a 5 IBU additional 60 min, used Barbian instead of Juice, and used Motueka/Nelson/Citra 2:1:1. Really looking forward to this one after the last.

10 lb Pils
5 lb Malted oat
3 lb Wheat
3 lb Flaked oat
1 lb Maltodextrin

0.15 oz Warrior 60 min (6 IBU)
2 oz Citra WP @ 170 (20 min)
2 oz Nelson Lupo WP @ 170 (20 min)
2 oz Citra Lupomax DH
2 oz Nelson DH
8 oz Motueka DH

Brewed up my 2nd Brujos style NEIPA yesterday with a few changes... Added 1 lb maltodextrin, a 5 IBU additional 60 min, used Barbian instead of Juice, and used Motueka/Nelson/Citra 2:1:1. Really looking forward to this one after the last.

10 lb Pils
5 lb Malted oat
3 lb Wheat
3 lb Flaked oat
1 lb Maltodextrin

2 oz Citra Lupomax DH
2 oz Nelson DH
8 oz Motueka DH

Nice man, one of my favorite hop combos! I was planning on brewing the same combo up next.

Heres one from the blooper reel: I call it “Stinky Feet in the Grass”

I just moved and the brewery is in disarray but I really wanted to get a batch going so I did an extract (pils, and wheat DME) batch with oat malt steeping grains. I have some 2022 galaxy that smells just so so but since I figured this beer couldn’t be great anyways it was a good time to try it. I used galaxy and mosaic in whirlpool and a dip hop - seemed like a good idea, use the dip hop to reduce the mirror scene and emphasize the fruity flavors from the galaxy? 4oz galaxy t90 dip hop in 4 gallons. Also, an effort to emphasize fruit esters and inspired by Brewers much smarter than me. I thought I would try under pitching. Pitched 75% of hazy from cellar science Turns out this was a Bad combination of ideas. Fermentation was slow to kick off ~48 hrs. The late fermentation samples around day 7 to 10 smelled and tasted awful like puke and sulfur farts. So I gave it two weeks and added too much pressure 10 to 15 psi after the first week and all the way up to 20 psi by the end of it. And then crashed and dried hopped eight more ounces of galaxy.

Beer is grassy, astringent, and stinks like feet. Do not recommend. I blame the crappy galaxy, long, contact time from dip, hopping, and too much pressure to clear the sulfur. Although now that I am half a pint into it, I’m starting to enjoy it! Ill be giving it weeks to chill out, and hopefully purge the headspace with CO2 enough to clear the sulfur. IMG_6767.jpeg

I just moved and the brewery is in disarray but I really wanted to get a batch going so I did an extract (pils, and wheat DME) batch with oat malt steeping grains. I have some 2022 galaxy that smells just so so but since I figured this beer couldn’t be great anyways it was a good time to try it. I used galaxy and mosaic in whirlpool and a dip hop - seemed like a good idea, use the dip hop to reduce the mirror scene and emphasize the fruity flavors from the galaxy? 4oz galaxy t90 dip hop in 4 gallons. Also, an effort to emphasize fruit esters and inspired by Brewers much smarter than me. I thought I would try under pitching. Pitched 75% of hazy from cellar science Turns out this was a Bad combination of ideas. Fermentation was slow to kick off ~48 hrs. The late fermentation samples around day 7 to 10 smelled and tasted awful like puke and sulfur farts. So I gave it two weeks and added too much pressure 10 to 15 psi after the first week and all the way up to 20 psi by the end of it. And then crashed and dried hopped eight more ounces of galaxy.

Beer is grassy, astringent, and stinks like feet. Do not recommend. I blame the crappy galaxy, long, contact time from dip, hopping, and too much pressure to clear the sulfur. Although now that I am half a pint into it, I’m starting to enjoy it! Ill be giving it weeks to chill out, and hopefully purge the headspace with CO2 enough to clear the sulfur.View attachment 842368
If want to take care of the sulfur, get a pure copper wire that is long enough to go from your prv to the bottom of the keg. Unscrew the prv then run co2 down the co2 or liquid post and then put the sanitized copper wire down the prv and give it a little swirl. Copper breaks the bonds of sulfur compounds.

If you don’t want to take that risk, get a copper spoon and just stir your pint glass with it before you drink it lol

If want to take care of the sulfur, get a pure copper wire that is long enough to go from your prv to the bottom of the keg. Unscrew the prv then run co2 down the co2 or liquid post and then put the sanitized copper wire down the prv and give it a little swirl. Copper breaks the bonds of sulfur compounds.

If you don’t want to take that risk, get a copper spoon and just stir your pint glass with it before you drink it lol
Yeah I’ve never wanted to deal with wire in the keg… but nice idea with the spoon, I just tried it and it makes a huge difference, never thought of that before, thanks! For the wire, would you just drop it in and leave it?

I got one of these recently and it's excellent. Only issues is they're a bit tricky to get in and out of the keg. Also if you're using a heavy dry hop load the hops tend to get stuck. I use it with the Kegland hop bong. I just hit the lid with a spanner to keep the flow going.
I have the same hop bong and plan on using that. My only concern is fitting in my chest freezer with the new TC adapter. Do you have a rough idea of how tall the corny keg is with the new lid and a capped butterfly valve?

10 lb Pils
5 lb Malted oat
3 lb Wheat
3 lb Flaked oat
1 lb Maltodextrin

2 oz Citra Lupomax DH
2 oz Nelson DH
8 oz Motueka DH
I added 1# brewer's crystal and 0.5# of malto to my last TIPA, and it turned out nice! I also love your hop bill. I struggle to not add motueka to every batch. I feel like it works so well with the big neipa hops

Yeah I’ve never wanted to deal with wire in the keg… but nice idea with the spoon, I just tried it and it makes a huge difference, never thought of that before, thanks! For the wire, would you just drop it in and leave it?
I used a pint glass sized length of 3/8" copper tubing, cleaned to within an inch of its life, laid into the pint glass, and pour from the keg over the tubing. After pouring, simply remove the tubing, it only took that amount of contact time.

It happens pretty immediate, I don’t think you’ll need to keep it in. Just pushing it down and swirling it slightly should be ok just be sure to let the co2 run as it’s venting

I have the same hop bong and plan on using that. My only concern is fitting in my chest freezer with the new TC adapter. Do you have a rough idea of how tall the corny keg is with the new lid and a capped butterfly valve?
Its 39" overall with my kegs. when the lid goes into your keg it stands another 18.5" to the top of the hop bong.

Assuming you go 2oz/gallon, so using Talus as 15-20% of your DH would come out very good. Alone it has a very broad range from Dole pineapple can to tropical guava to rosebush to green pepper. I never found it to be woody (daughter of Sabro) although maybe got a hint of coconut once or twice. Mixed with other hops, it's always awesome so never fear using it as 20-50% of total dosage.
i was just gonna add 2 oz in 6 gallons and the rest something else. cool, i'll try it out!

Made it to Tree House Deerfield yesterday and got the chance to talk to Nate for about 25 minutes. First off, he was super humble and down to earth. He said many times how lucky and fortunate he and the Tree House crew have been to be able to do what they do. I walked away even more impressed than I have been in the past, having been a fan since Monson. (Curiosity 13 is the earliest I can remember!)

Key points:

He said he preferred home brewing to commercial brewing. He loved tweaking on the small scale, but obviously it's a business now and that can be tiresome for such a busy company.

He prefers his neipas sweeter than the average neipa. He made it a point to say everyone is chasing the light straw hazies (myself included, but I didn't mention that), but he likes some sweetness and the deep orange color. He says he loves it when he comes across people saying his beer is oxidized. He literally laughed out loud as he said this. He said they do testing regularly and their DO is the lowest of the low. He said they use a touch of honey malt and C15. I was shocked about the crystal, but he said it adds color and a little malt complexity that otherwise wouldn't be present.

I asked what hops were in Haze and Julius, and he said, "I can't tell you that!" laughing. It was a fun interaction, because obviously he's been asked 1000s of times. He said it used to be a ton of Simcoe, but he's since backed off on the Simcoe (he said Heady Topper is primarily Simcoe...). He did say they use a blend of American hops. He also mentioned Simcoe is probably his 2nd favorite hop, and then he poured me a sample of a brand new version of Prodigal Haze. It was insanely saturated and so smooth.

We talked about DHing. IIRC he said they do 3-4lb per barrel of DH (memory is a little fuzzy on that). He said they tested the limit, and it was 26lb per barrel. They started with 126 gal of wort and ended up with 46 gal of beer. He said they lost money on that batch, but it was fun to experiment. They would have had to charge $14/pint lol. For home brewing he said he'd aim for 6-8oz per 5 gal (after doing some quick math), which I think most of us do.

Overall, it was a great conversation. He didn't have to beer geek out with me, but I'm glad he did. Might have to add some Crystal in a future hazy batch...

Last edited:
Made it to Tree House Deerfield yesterday and got the chance to talk to Nate for about 25 minutes. First off, he was super humble and down to earth. He said many times how lucky and fortunate he and the Tree House crew have been to be able to do what they do. I walked away even more impressed than I have been in the past, having been a fan since Monson. (Curiosity 13 is the earliest I can remember!)

Key points:

He said he preferred home brewing to commercial brewing. He loved tweaking on the small scale, but obviously it's a business now and that can be tiresome for such a busy company.

He prefers his neipas sweeter than the average neipa. He made it a point to say everyone is chasing the light straw hazies (myself included, but I didn't mention that), but he likes some sweetness and the deep orange color. He says he loves it when he comes across people saying his beer is oxidized. He literally laughed out loud as he said this. He said they do testing regularly and their DO is the lowest of the low. He said they use a touch of honey malt and C15. I was shocked about the crystal, but he said it adds color and a little malt complexity that otherwise wouldn't be present.

I asked what hops were in Haze and Julius, and he said, "I can't tell you that!" laughing. It was a fun interaction, because obviously he's been asked 1000s of times. He said it used to be a ton of Simcoe, but he's since backed off on the Simcoe (he said Heady Topper is primarily Simcoe...). He did say they use a blend of American hops. He also mentioned Simcoe is probably his 2nd favorite hop, and then he poured me a sample of a brand new version of Prodigal Haze. It was insanely saturated and so smooth.

We talked about DHing. IIRC he said they do 3-4lb per barrel of DH (memory is a little fuzzy on that). He said they tested the limit, and it was 26lb per barrel. They started with 126 gal of wort and ended up with 46 gal of beer. He said they lost money on that batch, but it was fun to experiment. They would have had to charge $14/pint lol. For home brewing he said he'd aim for 6-8oz per 5 gal (after doing some quick math), which I think most of us do.

Overall, it was a great conversation. He didn't have to beer geek out with me, but I'm glad he did. Might have to add some Crystal in a future hazy batch...

Thanks for sharing. That's super cool of him to spend some time with you, especially since he's probably interrogated by home brewers all the time.

Add the fact that he could act like an arrogant masshole and didn’t. I’ve never had any Treehouse, but followed them from the start. That group has killed it. Happy to see anyone make it and still stay humble. Wish more were like that in all avenues of life.

Key points:

You can definitely taste the crystal in the majority of their beers. No surprise there, but very surprised Haze and Julius were Simcoe heavy. I don’t get that at all.

Like Nate, I also find it ridiculous on Facebook all these beer connoisseurs calling any ipa with crystal malt oxidized. Facebook seems to be a great place to go if you want to know how not to brew a beer.

Thanks for sharing. These conversations are always interesting.

You can definitely taste the crystal in the majority of their beers. No surprise there, but very surprised Haze and Julius were Simcoe heavy. I don’t get that at all.

Like Nate, I also find it ridiculous on Facebook all these beer connoisseurs calling any ipa with crystal malt oxidized. Facebook seems to be a great place to go if you want to know how not to brew a beer.

Thanks for sharing. These conversations are always interesting.
Sorry, he specifically said Julius used to have a good helping of Simcoe, not Haze. He was even more secretive about Haze.

I tried a little yeast comparison again. I did an 80% pale, 7% oat malt, 13% wheat malt grist and split it in half. Half was omega dko chico and half was omega dko BAV. ferment out, drop to 60F for a couple days and then add in 8 oz of citra lupo to each for 2 days, crash to 32F and rack. i just racked tonight. The BAV definitely is more fruity and tastes like the hops have been biotransformed by the yeast. The chico batch has a more floral, geraniol character. I definitely prefer the BAV version for sure. Always interesting to do yeast comparisons. The BAV was a little hazier too.

Key points:

That's awesome and love to hear! People can be one way on video and another way in person.
I'm frankly surprised about the DH values being 3-4lb/bbl because most of their beers seem more yeast-forward than hops. Although it depends, I'd say Julius and Doubleganger definitely taste more yeast forward than some others to me.

Something worth of note on the hop volumes is that their Hop utilization is probably much better than ours. I'm not sure what their DH process is, but I bet they get way more out of their hops than I do. Also, they definitely have better hops lol.

It's always worth keeping hop utilization in mind. I believe Kelsey McNair mentioned this when he went from homebrew to commercial that his Hop Fu recipe was way too bitter on the commercial system and he had to tone things down so it took a while to tune things in. I know Dry hopping is a little bit of a different subject, but I thought I'd mention both.

PS. I don't feel bad for Nate saying that it's tiresome, we all have jobs lol. It's not like us homebrewers just loiter around tinkering around with batches, we all have families, responsibilities and jobs. Yes, brewing the same beer all the time isn't very fun and neither is managing a large brewery, but doing hop selection, brewery experiments to optimize beers, working with cool people and making YT videos can't be too bad...

That's awesome and love to hear! People can be one way on video and another way in person.
I'm frankly surprised about the DH values being 3-4lb/bbl because most of their beers seem more yeast-forward than hops. Although it depends, I'd say Julius and Doubleganger definitely taste more yeast forward than some others to me.

Something worth of note on the hop volumes is that their Hop utilization is probably much better than ours. I'm not sure what their DH process is, but I bet they get way more out of their hops than I do. Also, they definitely have better hops lol.

It's always worth keeping hop utilization in mind. I believe Kelsey McNair mentioned this when he went from homebrew to commercial that his Hop Fu recipe was way too bitter on the commercial system and he had to tone things down so it took a while to tune things in. I know Dry hopping is a little bit of a different subject, but I thought I'd mention both.

PS. I don't feel bad for Nate saying that it's tiresome, we all have jobs lol. It's not like us homebrewers just loiter around tinkering around with batches, we all have families, responsibilities and jobs. Yes, brewing the same beer all the time isn't very fun and neither is managing a large brewery, but doing hop selection, brewery experiments to optimize beers, working with cool people and making YT videos can't be too bad...
That's interesting that you seem to think their beers are more yeast-forward. I wish I knew exactly what people mean when they say yeast-forward. My brew buddy says that all the time too, and he can't explain what he means lol. I feel like TH hop aroma always jumps out of the can/glass.

We did talk ingredients at one point, and I told him I was able to get some commercial hops from a local brewery, and that they are so much better than anything I can get on the homebrew scale. Nate said that because TH is such a large hop-forward brewery, they get 1st selection on hops, both early and late in the season. He actually said he felt bad that not everyone has that kind of selection. TH produces about 45,000 barrels/year which puts them on par with Russian River, so they get first dibs and that leaves everyone else with "the rest".

He mentioned he hand-selected Citra last year, and he was able to pick it out of multiple lots blindfolded 5x in a row. He said he's able to smell the hops and know exactly how he wants to use them in the beer. I've been told by his staff ever since Monson that he's able to taste a beer and reverse engineer it and break it down. I've been told this countless times. You can see the proof in his YT videos where he's able to correctly identify a single beer out of 80+ on tap. That's a gift!

So I brewed one up almost 2 weeks ago, it's time to check for FG and pH, I have phosphoric acid and lactic acid if I need to correct pH, but I am curios of ascorbic acid would have an effect on pH. I have added some at dry hopping in the past for oxygen scrubbing with great results and I'm wondering if it may have lowered the pH giving me a better result in that beer as well.?

So I brewed one up almost 2 weeks ago, it's time to check for FG and pH, I have phosphoric acid and lactic acid if I need to correct pH, but I am curios of ascorbic acid would have an effect on pH. I have added some at dry hopping in the past for oxygen scrubbing with great results and I'm wondering if it may have lowered the pH giving me a better result in that beer as well.?
Good question, and I'm interested if anyone knows. I always add a teaspoon to my keg and rack on top.

I’m Mexican so him and I have a lot in common.
That’s cool to have that common place. My wife’s Mexican, from Puebla. That said, nothing in his uniqueness that I am talking about has to do with him being Pisano lol.

Last edited:
That’s cool to have that common place. My wife’s Mexican, from Puebla. That said, nothing in his uniqueness that I am talking about has to do with him being Pisano lol.
We had a great conversation, super nice guy. I didn’t feel like I was pulling teeth with him.

Beer is grassy, astringent, and stinks like feet. Do not recommend. I blame the crappy galaxy, long, contact time from dip, hopping, and too much pressure to clear the sulfur. Although now that I am half a pint into it, I’m starting to enjoy it! Ill be giving it weeks to chill out, and hopefully purge the headspace with CO2 enough to clear the sulfur.View attachment 842368
That's Cellar Science Hazy! Terrible yeast!

Back