New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just want to jump in and say I just brewed this recipe about 5 weeks ago and bottled it last weekend. After 7 days in the bottle chilled and cracked one and I cannot believe how good this is already!

This is only my 2nd NEIPA ever and my very first attempt to brew a recipe other than one from the binder at the local homebrew store with the step by step instructions. I am very grateful for this recipe and all the conversation on here. I have read almost this entire thread and picked up so much along the way. Thanks to everyone, especially to Braufessor.

Took a long break from hazies after hitting them really hard in 2020-2021 and brewed alot of WCIPAs since then. I did a hazy again in my last batch with Lallemand Voss fermented in the high 80s and wow it's sucking me back in. One of the best I've done

I have never brewed with Galaxy. For several years it was hard to come by and selling for $40+ per lb. It seems like every commercial beer I have had over the past few years with Galaxy is harsh. I generally avoid ordering beers that feature Galaxy. It is because I don't like Galaxy, or because everybody has been brewing the bad Galaxy recently? $15 per lb is hard to beat, but I am sure I could find a dozen hops at YVH for $20 per lb or less that I know I will enjoy.
With that said, I picked up a 4-pack of Trillium Olmsted and had the first one yesterday. At the store I did not realize it was a Galaxy + Nelson beer. It was a really nice beer and one of the better NEIPAs I have had in a while. No idea if that was 2023 Galaxy.

I completely understand those of you that have been burned 🤓 by galaxy one too many times to try again, but I have issues! I f-ing love this hop. Though I kinda love them all.

This beer from The Veil is an all galaxy beer that is “triple dry hoppped” and it’s stupid good. I recognize they may well get to pick, though not sure anyone can with Aussie hops? But a lot of my HB interest/enthusiasm is in the fun of trying emulating pro brews I really love. I have no intention of ever going pro.

View attachment 828862
#MakeGalaxyGreatAgain

With that said, I picked up a 4-pack of Trillium Olmsted and had the first one yesterday. At the store I did not realize it was a Galaxy + Nelson beer. It was a really nice beer and one of the better NEIPAs I have had in a while. No idea if that was 2023 Galaxy.

I had a can of Headroom the other day and it was low key a mess. Just a whisper of that old school galaxy and then it faded to a **** ton of grassy astringency. Basically felt like chewing on a hop pellet.

Anyone listen to the latest CB&B podcast with Sam Zermeno from Brujos? I've never had their IPAs but they have a pretty big following and some solid ratings on Untappd.

Sam gives a lot of detail around the recipe and process. Pretty neat. As they are going through recipe design he says something along the lines of, "we use 30% pilsner, the rest is wheat and oats".......WHAT. I know Troon uses about 50% oats but 70% wheat and oats!

The mash will almost be oatmeal at that point. I am curious what ratio of oats and wheat he uses, I may have missed it so I need to give it another listen.

Sam Zermeño of Brujos Is Casting Liquid Spells

Anyone listen to the latest CB&B podcast with Sam Zermeno from Brujos? I've never had their IPAs but they have a pretty big following and some solid ratings on Untappd.

Sam gives a lot of detail around the recipe and process. Pretty neat. As they are going through recipe design he says something along the lines of, "we use 30% pilsner, the rest is wheat and oats".......WHAT. I know Troon uses about 50% oats but 70% wheat and oats!

The mash will almost be oatmeal at that point. I am curious what ratio of oats and wheat he uses, I may have missed it so I need to give it another listen.

That's a lot of wheat and oats! I recently made a Hefe with 60/40 Wheat/Pils. It's crystal clear after 3 weeks in the keg. So there's even more proof that it's not wheat alone that contributes to the haze! FWIW my recent hazies are 60/24/16 2 Row/Wheat/Pils, and I'm hazy to last drop.

Sam Zermeño of Brujos Is Casting Liquid Spell
He makes some great ipas, granted I’ve only had 1 that truly was all him as the other 3 I had were collabs. I didn’t listen to it but got a break down @spersichilli about it. The big surprises for me we’re the ph being 4.8, which is quite high for a package ph and the high percentage of protein heavy grain. His beers drink the same as fiden’s or troon, so i don’t know how much the addition 20-40% more oat/wheat has to do with the overall character of his beers

Last edited:
Yeah I’m pretty close to that just with modified fermonsters. Run fermentation and the cold crash. Then rack into a purged fermonster with the dryhop load and close transfer over and dryhop around 56*f for 36 hours with periodic agitation. Then transfer through floating diptube to serving keg.

Works really well
Does your floating dip tube have a filter on the end? If so, does it get clogged ever when transferring? I worry about transferring like that and hop matter getting caught there and when pulling beer to serve its passing through the filter with residual hop matter causing flavor issues, hop burn etc.

He didn’t really breakdown his

he also mention using 10% of brewers crystals and maltose to hit his final gravity.

Does your floating dip tube have a filter on the end? If so, does it get clogged ever when transferring? I worry about transferring like that and hop matter getting caught there and when pulling beer to serve its passing through the filter with residual hop matter causing flavor issues, hop burn etc.
No filter, just the open hose on the float.

I’ve honestly have only had one clog. All I did to fix it was put a liquid balllock on the co2 line and ran co2 down the diptube while venting. After crashing all your hops should be sitting at the bottom. And it shouldn’t be a issue

The big surprises for me we’re the ph being 4.8
Same! In the interview he says he uses no acid, lets the high calcium levels buffer the ph. I think he said he uses a minimum of 250ppm of calcium chloride. If I'm remembering correctly. I try to aim for 4.6 into package. Right at the food safety line haha.

I think he said he uses a minimum of 250ppm of calcium chloride.
Did they give any other other numbers when discussing that? Calcium chloride is two ions in one compound (Ca & Cl), the 250ppm is definitely in regards to the Cl. I’m curious what the Ca level is

Did they give any other other numbers when discussing that? Calcium chloride is two ions in one compound (Ca & Cl), the 250ppm is definitely in regards to the Cl. I’m curious what the Ca level is

i don't think they did, i remember Jamie moving on to another topic, I was so bummed. I need to listen again, to make sure i have everything right, first time i was mowing the lawn and missed some details. below were the notes i was able to take, took me a lot longer to mow that day.

Grain:
Ton of wheat, some oats, malted and or flaked, dash of pilsner sometimes as little as 30%
1-2% rice hulls
Run rakes super slow - gentle is better/don’t beat your mash up
Thick mash - 1.0 - 1.25 qt/lb
Dextrose if needed (make up for bad eff)
Uses brewers crystals / maltodextrin - no more than 10% combined. To add even more body
For Hazy DIPAs
Staring Plato 20.5 (1.085), finishes at 5.5 (1.022)
155 mash
5.5 is the sweet spot for hazy dipa

Finishing platos:
Single 5.5-6
Double 5-5.5
Triple 4-4.5

Water
Heavy calcium chloride, pinch sulfate and a dash of sodium chloride
I think he said 250ppm of cacl * I could have this wrong *

Hops
If he wants bitterness - uses a dash of flex hop extract, no hops in boil

Whirlpool
1.0 - 1.5 lb/bbl @ 170

Dryhop
Uses citra for almost every beer
Rates
Triple IPA 5-6lb/bbl dryhop
Double 5-5.5lb/bbl dryhop
Single 4.5-5lb/bbl

pH
Ko 5.2-5.3
Package 4.6-4.8

Last edited:
i don't think they did, i remember Jamie moving on to another topic, I was so bummed. I need to listen again, to make sure i have everything right, first time i was mowing the lawn and missed some details. below were the notes i was able to take, took me a lot longer to mow that day.

Grain:
Ton of wheat, some oats, malted and or flaked, dash of pilsner sometimes as little as 30%
1-2% rice hulls
Uses brewers crystals / maltose - no more than 10% combined. To add even more body
For Hazy DIPAs
155 mash

Finishing platos:
Single 5.5-6
Double 5-5.5
Triple 4-4.5

Water

Hops

Whirlpool
1.0 - 1.5 lb/bbl @ 170

Dryhop
Rates
Single 4.5-5lb/bbl

pH
Ko 5.2-5.3
Pac
Am I ****ing up by using pilsen as my base malt? I prefer it for the lower srm

He didn’t really breakdown his

he also mention using 10% of brewers crystals and maltose to hit his final gravity.

Uses brewers crystals / maltose - no more than 10% combined. To add even more body

Maltose doesn't increase final gravity or body. I would guess the original source actually said (or meant) maltodextrin.

Grain:
1-2% rice hulls
For Hazy DIPAs
155 mash

Finishing platos:
Single 5.5-6
Double 5-5.5
Triple 4-4.5

Water

Hops

Whirlpool
1.0 - 1.5 lb/bbl @ 170

Dryhop
Rates
Single 4.5-5lb/bbl

pH
Ko 5.2-5.3
Package 4.6-4.8
Thanks for writing this out, this is exactly what he said. I listened, it was a good one.

Slightly off topic but still relevant as some use ALDC. Kegged a west coast IPA a week ago, I used 1ml of ALDC at transfer into the fermenter and 1ml in the dry hop keg but I'm pretty sure I'm picking up some diacetyl. I'm not overly sensitive to it so can't be 100%. Has anyone picked up diacetyl in beers after using ALDC? Thought using this pretty much eliminates this which is why I got lazy and didn't both doing a VDK test. Have a homebrew meetup next week so I'm sure I'll be told if it's diacetyl or not.

I've been using A24 for a while and really like it. Is anybody concerned about it being STA1 positive? Anybody know of commercial breweries using this yeast or other STA1 yeasts for NEIPA?

I've been using A24 for a while and really like it. Is anybody concerned about it being STA1 positive? Anybody know of commercial breweries using this yeast or other STA1 yeasts for NEIPA?
Not sure about which commercial breweries are using it but I have zero concerns with A24 at all despite it being STA1+. I also use Belle Saison with the same fermenters too. Good cleaning and sanitizing are key IMHO. Zero issues with the next beer afterwards in that fermenter regardless of style. I've used A24 tons with no issues.

I’m not concerned at all. If your bottling verses keg, you may get some over attenuation but I read somewhere early on that Sacc Trois (the sta1 portion of the a24 blend) though positive for sta1, it is not very efficient at converting complex sugar.

From an experience standpoint, I’ve probably made a minimum of 30 beers in the past 7 years using dryhop and have never seen the 85% attenuation that it claims. Most I can recall seeing is maybe 82

I use Coastal Haze for all my hazies, and it's STA1 positive. Never had any issues using the same equipment for other beer.

In my experience it’s WAY too dry. You want these to be super soft and not spritzy at all. One of the best things about LAIII is how plush it leaves the beer

Ive used coastal haze a couple times with decent results too. Had no clue it was STA1+ lol. Wondering if its a blend similar to A24?
Could be, but no clue.
Exclusively LAIII (usually from Wyeast). Lays the best canvas for hop expression and gives it the softness I look for.
Wow. LAIII is my least favorite hazy yeast. I've tried it at all different temps, and I'm not a fan of it at all. I know people swear by it!

Exclusively LAIII (usually from Wyeast). Lays the best canvas for hop expression and gives it the softness I look for.
Every beer made with laIII, taste like it’s made with laiii. I use a variation of it in some beers but I would say it’s one of the worst yeast for hop expression, every beer made with it taste almost the same in my opinion.

I will say that it’s hard to beat its mouthfeel though.

Last edited:
Lately I’ve been fermenting LA3 at 64 and found that I get a lot more hop expression. I’ve tried it at all different temps but found that I actually really like it the colder I go.

I was using the Omega variant for quite a while as I’ve found it attenuates a bit better than the Wyeast version. Currently trying out a new Aussie yeast lab called Bluestone. Their variant gave me good results on the first generation so I’m excited to use it more.

Latest posts

Back