New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way to spread the good word of homebrewed NEIPA! How would you describe the flavors from this beer? Is it pretty Galaxy-dominated with white gummy bears/pineapple or does Enigma throw a bunch of berries or white grapes in there?
Enigma dominates the flavor profile for sure. It has a white grape with a slight diesel dank very similar to Nelson sauvin. It’s still very fresh so I can’t wait to see how it matures in the next few days.

Enigma dominates the flavor profile for sure. It has a white grape with a slight diesel dank very similar to Nelson sauvin. It’s still very fresh so I can’t wait to see how it matures in the next few days.
I like enigma. My lots weren’t anything like Nelson though. Def would be interested in working with the lot you have. My lot was definitely earthy red beery. very hard to describe. I really like it

I like enigma. My lots weren’t anything like Nelson though. Def would be interested in working with the lot you have. My lot was definitely earthy red beery. very hard to describe. I really like it
I purchased mine from hop alliance. I feel like they have better prices than Yakima valley.I know what you mean with the berry flavor, very complex but super delicious.

I don’t post as much here anymore but still one of my favorite threads for info.This beer is still holding up very well after 3 months in the keg. Strata/Galaxy/Cashmere and spelt malt. Cheers to all the help of you guys to make some awesome beer!

BA7B6DEA-93A7-471F-9F99-B49B4F1609E1.jpeg
4DF7DAC3-2F56-4D10-B485-B4BF2DEF7A00.jpeg

Recently stopped back into to Tired Hands for a couple 4 packs of hazy IPAs. they keep getting better. I actually prefer their beers over places like fidens, treehouse, etc.

The one thing I notice with their hazies is that the hop aroma and flavor is unique to them. It is very fruit/tropical fruit forward, little to no green/dank flavors. Most recently I noticed it in the “refreshing ipa”.

I’m not sure what they are doing differently from everyone else but it stands out to me at least. Wanted to know if anyone had thoughts on that.

Recently stopped back into to Tired Hands for a couple 4 packs of hazy IPAs. they keep getting better. I actually prefer their beers over places like fidens, treehouse, etc.

The one thing I notice with their hazies is that the hop aroma and flavor is unique to them. It is very fruit/tropical fruit forward, little to no green/dank flavors. Most recently I noticed it in the “refreshing ipa”.

I’m not sure what they are doing differently from everyone else but it stands out to me at least. Wanted to know if anyone had thoughts on that.
We had some tired hands around lately Alien church and this one. Alien church was priced at $28.99 for a single ipa so I passed on that and then this one I did have I was very unimpressed by. Very generic and nothing popped at all and more floral for the main character.

Granted I only have a 1 beer perception of them but that 1 beer wasn’t close to fiden’s IMO (I haven’t had a good treehouse beer in a year or so, their it quality is way down in my opinion). I’d be willing to trade for some fresh tired hands though
C0185AC4-C30A-4A23-BA7D-E6CA7189B1F6.jpeg

We had some tired hands around lately Alien church and this one. Alien church was priced at $28.99 for a single ipa so I passed on that and then this one I did have I was very unimpressed by. Very generic and nothing popped at all and more floral for the main character.

Granted I only have a 1 beer perception of them but that 1 beer wasn’t close to fiden’s IMO (I haven’t had a good treehouse beer in a year or so, their it quality is way down in my opinion). I’d be willing to trade for some fresh tired hands thoughView attachment 813890
What’s the average price for a single can of fidens? I usually buy from resale at a much higher cost.

When tired hands first opened I really enjoyed their stuff. The last beer I had from them was a bit of a let down. Can't recall what it was unfortunately it was a while ago. I'll have to give them another try though.

I have a sorta kitchen sink neipa in the fermenter now I hope to keg next weekend. I had some random stuff I wanted to use up, so I threw in some golden promise, and used some torrified wheat instead of white wheat. Hopped with simcoe citra and galaxy.

Curious to see how it turns out.

Granted I only have a 1 beer perception of them but that 1 beer wasn’t close to fiden’s IMO (I haven’t had a good treehouse beer in a year or so, their it quality is way down in my opinion). I’d be willing to trade for some fresh tired hands thoughView attachment 813890
That is disappointing. Eviscerated pathway of beauty is one of their best beers in my opinion, might have been a bad batch. I have been buying cans fresh direct at their brewery though so maybe that is playing into it a bit.

I have some incognito I bought a few months ago and haven’t gotten around to using it. In your experience, how does a beer made with pellets along with incognito taste compared to one with just pellets?

That is disappointing. Eviscerated pathway of beauty is one of their best beers in my opinion, might have been a bad batch. I have been buying cans fresh direct at their brewery though so maybe that is playing into it a bit.

I have some incognito I bought a few months ago and haven’t gotten around to using it. In your experience, how does a beer made with pellets along with incognito taste compared to one with just pellets?
I’ll have to try to get some fresh ones from trading to see because I’ve heard some great things about tired hands and was a little stunned when I had that one.

the incognito is good but it’s very one dimensional in flavor. So by blending it with t90 you get some more complexity and nuance flavors. I personally love t90 beers though. I typically use t90 hotside and then anywhere from 30/70 - 50/50 LUPOMAX(or cryo)/t90 in the dryhop

Gotcha. Yeah all 16 oz cans. Sorry I don’t think I hear pounders before lol
I’ll be heading to southern call here in 2 weeks. I can get electric brewing co, north park, green cheek , monkish. @ Dgallo interested in any of these breweries to trade for fidens?

That's pretty reasonable to me, I mean 5 bucks for a quality "pounder" yeah I'll take it in a can over a 5 dollar pour of some of the swill I've have at mediocre breweries.
I agree, their quality makes it worth it to me. Around me even the most mediocre breweries are getting 15.99-18.99 a 4 pack.

That said, Thin Man brewing out of Buffalo NY Is a great brewery to grab beer from cost to quality stand point. They aren’t the best but solid and their double IPAs are 15.99 a four pack

I’ll be heading to southern call here in 2 weeks. I can get electric brewing co, north park, green cheek , monkish
I’m heading to southern cal soon. What are some recommendations in the north San Diego area?

I’m heading to southern cal soon. What are some recommendations in the north San Diego area?
North park is a must. Modern times is solid and white labs yeast is out there, highly suggest checking them out. They have a brewery too where they showcase their strains

Last edited:
Great price but I've been thinking about Citra lately.

Is Citra overrated or have I just recently had mediocre beers that have had Citra in it?
Citra is my go to for NEIPAs. A lot of brewers are probably burnt out on Citra, but I find it to be the best NEIPA hop. That's purely MY opinion. I also love Simcoe, but Citra is a winner.

$12.75/lb Citra!
Expect more of that, there's a surplus of things like Citra and Mosaic at the moment as part of a wider surplus of 35 to 40 million pounds of hops in the industry and Stan Hieronymus' latest newsletter talks about it and also this article from him :
https://brewingindustryguide.com/rightsizing-the-hop-market/Because they occupy 31 percent of acres planted, Citra and Mosaic are central to the discussion about making cuts. Acreage of those two alone grew by 9,125 over the past four years, even as overall acreage increased by only 4,750. Cutting 30 percent of those two would amount to more than 5,500 acres. There would still be almost 13,000 acres left to harvest, much more than four years ago.
Haas and Yakima Chief Ranches (YCR) are partners in the breeding company and thus hold plant rights to those and other HBC cultivars. On farms where Haas has not renewed contracts or bought them out for 2023, the plants will be removed. Growers will plant something else or leave them fallow.

He also mentions that the Kiwis have named NZH-102 Superdelic :
an offspring of Hersbrucker Pure (herself 42% Hallertau Mittelfrüh, 13% Saazer, 22% German wild hop, remainder unknown) and a New Zealand male known for contributing tropical character to its progeny. Superdelic contains 12% alpha acids, 3.5% beta acids and 1.5-2 ml/100 g essential oil.
Like Nectaron, a hop brewers will find easier to get their hands on after the 2023 harvest, Superdelic is tropical and IPA ready. Red fruit candy is prominent on the rub, and red fruit shows up in the beer as well, along with underlying tropical fruits.

https://brewingindustryguide.com/rightsizing-the-hop-market/Because they occupy 31 percent of acres planted, Citra and Mosaic are central to the discussion about making cuts. Acreage of those two alone grew by 9,125 over the past four years, even as overall acreage increased by only 4,750. Cutting 30 percent of those two would amount to more than 5,500 acres. There would still be almost 13,000 acres left to harvest, much more than four years ago.
Haas and Yakima Chief Ranches (YCR) are partners in the breeding company and thus hold plant rights to those and other HBC cultivars. On farms where Haas has not renewed contracts or bought them out for 2023, the plants will be removed. Growers will plant something else or leave them fallow.

He also mentions that the Kiwis have named NZH-102 Superdelic :
an offspring of Hersbrucker Pure (herself 42% Hallertau Mittelfrüh, 13% Saazer, 22% German wild hop, remainder unknown) and a New Zealand male known for contributing tropical character to its progeny. Superdelic contains 12% alpha acids, 3.5% beta acids and 1.5-2 ml/100 g essential oil.
Like Nectaron, a hop brewers will find easier to get their hands on after the 2023 harvest, Superdelic is tropical and IPA ready. Red fruit candy is prominent on the rub, and red fruit shows up in the beer as well, along with underlying tropical fruits.
Do you have any info on Peacherine? I know it’s new to the pro markets this year and only a handful of the “top” breweries.

I agree, I prefer my Homebrew over 95%+ of brewers.

That said, spyglass is pretty solid in NH

This is absolutely true for me as well for NEIPAs, I can't seem to mess them up if I tried. If I'm going to be good at one style, I'm glad its NEIPA since commercial versions are so expensive and hit or miss. When it comes to American IPA's and pilsners... I don't come anywhere close to competing with the commercial stuff.

Treehouse-style IPA recipe design video:
This recipe calls for around 0.75 oz of hops at 20 min in the boil and another 0.75 oz of hops at flameout (for a 5-ish gallon batch, plus 20 IBUs at the start of the boil). So there is 20 IBUs from the Magnum addition, and 15 IBUs from the 20 minute addition (plus some IBUs from the flameout addition). The recipe then has around 10 oz of a dry hop. The later boil additions and the dry hop are Citra, Amarillo, and Simcoe.

That does not match up with the hopping schedules I have been playing with (little no zero in the boil, 6 oz in the whirlpool and 6-8 oz in the dry hop), but...what to the experts on this thread think about that schedule? Is it a recipe worth trying to brew?

Do you have any info on Peacherine? I know it’s new to the pro markets this year and only a handful of the “top” breweries.
Really early days it seems - anywhere else it wouldn't be named yet. I guess we'll know more in a few months time once they've had a chance to brew some test beers with this year's crop. But it sounds really interesting, one to look out for definitely. (for those who haven't heard of Peacherine it's described as "a complex nectarine and citrus character with sweet fruit, lime zest and indistinct tropical notes")

There's some fun things coming out of NZ at the moment, no doubt Stan will be able to tell us more after his "family holiday" which just so happens to be New Zealand in March.... Freestyle are exploring blends of hops with other things; Kohia Nelson is a blend of dried passionfruit with Motueka, Rakau and Cascade, and Mega Motueka is a high-thiol lot of Motueka blended with Phantasm.

Back