New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have any info on Peacherine? I know it’s new to the pro markets this year and only a handful of the “top” breweries.
I want some Peacherine as well. Had this beer from Eredita. Awesome.
Screenshot_20230303_002015_Gallery.jpg

He also mentions that the Kiwis have named NZH-102 Superdelic
I assume that's meant to be pronounced "Super-delish", as in delicious. But I keep seeing it with an -ick on the end, as in Super Derek. And now it's always going to be Super Derek for me....

I assume that's meant to be pronounced "Super-delish", as in delicious. But I keep seeing it with an -ick on the end, as in Super Derek. And now it's always going to be Super Derek for me....
I read it as super-dell-ick, as in rhyming with psychedelic, but I think Super Derek might stick.

a great deal--thanks for sharing.

how long will hops last if vacuum sealed and stored in the freezer?
I assume the Yakima valley packaging is freezer-ready, but after I open one I will vacuum seal and freeze the remainder.
the shipping for 2 lb is the same as for 1 lb but it will take me a while to use 2 lb!
thanks
Ken
Years.

This recipe calls for around 0.75 oz of hops at 20 min in the boil and another 0.75 oz of hops at flameout (for a 5-ish gallon batch, plus 20 IBUs at the start of the boil). So there is 20 IBUs from the Magnum addition, and 15 IBUs from the 20 minute addition (plus some IBUs from the flameout addition). The recipe then has around 10 oz of a dry hop. The later boil additions and the dry hop are Citra, Amarillo, and Simcoe.

That does not match up with the hopping schedules I have been playing with (little no zero in the boil, 6 oz in the whirlpool and 6-8 oz in the dry hop), but...what to the experts on this thread think about that schedule? Is it a recipe worth trying to brew?

It's not anything that hasn't been done before, maybe a slightly above normal bittering addition and a higher whirlpool temp (flameout), otherwise seems like a standard NEIPA recipe... I've made some 60 IBU NEIPAs before (lots of late additions) and I like them personally. Judges will dock points for bitterness, but some bittering really cuts through the juiciness and adds a very drinkable dimension.

I’m heading to southern cal soon. What are some recommendations in the north San Diego area?
Check out bottlecraft they have a few locations throughout San Diego they have beers from almost every brewery from Southern California and a bunch of Russian river beers. I would highly recommend going to electric brewing in Murrieta Ca about a hour dr from San Diego.

It's not anything that hasn't been done before, maybe a slightly above normal bittering addition and a higher whirlpool temp (flameout), otherwise seems like a standard NEIPA recipe... I've made some 60 IBU NEIPAs before (lots of late additions) and I like them personally. Judges will dock points for bitterness, but some bittering really cuts through the juiciness and adds a very drinkable dimension.
I guess I wonder because your "Award Winning" recipe uses 8 oz in the whirlpool, which is a lot more than 0.75 oz! (Plus another 13 oz in the dry hop.)

I looked back at the brew day video, at at one point the assistant says there are 45g in the 10 minute addition and the amount Nate pours in for the flameout addition looks like the same amount. I am not sure what size batch they are brewing. Maybe 12 gallons? So it sounds like the description lines up with what they brewed.

I might brew the beer just to try out a different approach and for the novelty of brewing a "Tree House Recipe." I might have to swap in something for the Simcoe since I am all out (I have plenty of hops like Idaho-7, HBC-568, El Dorado, Azacca, BRU-1, etc. that I want to use up before purchasing more).

Treehouse-style IPA recipe design video:

I am thinking about giving this recipe a try but may use hops I have on hand. I have plenty of Citra but no Simcoe or Amarillo. Was thinking of replacing those two with Cascade and Mosaic, which I already have. Do y'all think those would be similar enough or not?

Citra is my go to for NEIPAs. A lot of brewers are probably burnt out on Citra, but I find it to be the best NEIPA hop. That's purely MY opinion. I also love Simcoe, but Citra is a winner.
I figure it's more the beers that I've had that feature Citra have been mediocre beers more so than Citra itself being mediocre, but I can't tell.

I know I have had great beers with Citra in them, but I can't recall an all Citra beer that I've had that is great.

I figure it's more the beers that I've had that feature Citra have been mediocre beers more so than Citra itself being mediocre, but I can't tell.

I know I have had great beers with Citra in them, but I can't recall an all Citra beer that I've had that is great.
Not sure where you're located, but if you can get your hands on a fresh King Sue from Toppling Goliath try it It's all Citra and delicious. If you don't like that one then maybe 100% Citra just isn't for you. Nothing wrong with that.

Not sure where you're located, but if you can get your hands on a fresh King Sue from Toppling Goliath try it It's all Citra and delicious. If you don't like that one then maybe 100% Citra just isn't for you. Nothing wrong with that.
I always want to try new beers but I don't think I can get my hands King Sue. I'm in South Florida. There's a few great local breweries down here but I don't know how well known they are nationally. None of them, however, really make single hopped beers.

Any of the Other Half all Citra beers I've had have been great. Saying that I absolutely love Citra.

Any of the Other Half all Citra beers I've had have been great. Saying that I absolutely love Citra.
I had some Double Dry Hopped All Citra Everything by them last April that I think may have caused me to start questioning Citra.

It’s possible it could have been an issue with that specific batch though

I am thinking about giving this recipe a try but may use hops I have on hand. I have plenty of Citra but no Simcoe or Amarillo. Was thinking of replacing those two with Cascade and Mosaic, which I already have. Do y'all think those would be similar enough or not?
Mosaic would be ok in place of the Amarillo in my opinion, but to me simcoe is simcoe and that's that.

I had some Double Dry Hopped All Citra Everything by them last April that I think may have caused me to start questioning Citra.

It’s possible it could have been an issue with that specific batch though
Could be a batch issue especially if it didn't come from Brooklyn. The other brewery's aren't at their level yet although DC is improving.

Could be a batch issue especially if it didn't come from Brooklyn. The other brewery's aren't at their level yet although DC is improving.
That could very well be it. I have a had a few cans from Other Half that were really good.

I was excited when visited the brewery in DC while on a trip there in September. The NEIPAs were good but nothing more than some of the local breweries near me. For all of the Other Half hype I've heard that location did not live up to it. Again it wasn't bad at all. I actually enjoyed their lagers more than anything else as those were great.

Just as another thought - Citra's one that I really struggle with since getting long Covid, I get that really stewed/overripe pineapple thing from it if it's used in any large amount.

In general I can hardly smell "volatile", estery smells like fruit (which is particularly terrible when drinking wine) and am OK-ish with "earthy" smells and stuff that goes on in my mouth - salt/sugar/bitterness and general mouthfeel. So it's like a taste version of colour-blindness, certain flavours are knocked out completely which then changes the overall taste. Chocolate is perhaps the worst one as I've lost almost all the chocolate flavour leaving just the bitterness, so chocolate tastes like burnt toast or licking a barbecue. Citra seems to be one of the worst as I get that overripe flavour, Mosaic's not too bad for me, but I just get nothing at all from things like Nectaron.

So yeah, try to avoid Covid if you like NEIPAs, wine or chocolate...

Just as another thought - Citra's one that I really struggle with since getting long Covid, I get that really stewed/overripe pineapple thing from it if it's used in any large amount.

In general I can hardly smell "volatile", estery smells like fruit (which is particularly terrible when drinking wine) and am OK-ish with "earthy" smells and stuff that goes on in my mouth - salt/sugar/bitterness and general mouthfeel. So it's like a taste version of colour-blindness, certain flavours are knocked out completely which then changes the overall taste. Chocolate is perhaps the worst one as I've lost almost all the chocolate flavour leaving just the bitterness, so chocolate tastes like burnt toast or licking a barbecue. Citra seems to be one of the worst as I get that overripe flavour, Mosaic's not too bad for me, but I just get nothing at all from things like Nectaron.

So yeah, try to avoid Covid if you like NEIPAs, wine or chocolate...
Oh man, that stinks. The thing that concerned me the most about COVID was exactly that. Losing taste and smell for an extended period of time.

I have a buddy who lost his smell and taste for almost a whole year before it finally came back.

I'm over 2 years since my first covid stint and I lost smell and taste completely for 2 months. I thoroughly enjoy spicy foods as well as numerous different styles of beer, I was so upset when I had some Carolina reaper hot sauce I made and it had no flavor, just burnt my mouth. Now I can taste and smell most things, some better then others, Luckily citra and neipa seems to be one of the things that came back to me, maybe cause I trained my senses by drinking them constantly, it was really tough drinking all that beer just to get my sense of taste and smell back into the realm of neipaheavenlandia.

I've had peacharine in a few beets here now and it was pretty good. I wasn't blown away and rushing back to get more though so it's not like it's the next & greatest in my opinion. I'm personally more looking forward to the NZ hops being available in cryo, I think that could be a game changer. I've found the cryo hops make the beers more juicy/fruity which I really enjoy in neipas but also modern West coast ipas & pilsners.

I've had peacharine in a few beets here now and it was pretty good. I wasn't blown away and rushing back to get more though so it's not like it's the next & greatest in my opinion. I'm personally more looking forward to the NZ hops being available in cryo, I think that could be a game changer. I've found the cryo hops make the beers more juicy/fruity which I really enjoy in neipas but also modern West coast ipas & pilsners.
Crosby has nelson cryo

Also worth noting Freestyle's "SubZero Hop Kief", a "concentrated lupulin for cold side use...a cryogenic solventless hop concentrate" dissolved in 33% ethanol (err - isn't that a solvent? :) ) so intended as an equivalent of Incognito. Available in Nelson Sauvin, Rakau, Waimea, Wakatu, Southern Cross and Motueka.

By all accounts if your smell hasn't returned after 6 months or so after Covid then it's probably not coming back - it's been three years for me now...

Also worth noting Freestyle's "SubZero Hop Kief", a "concentrated lupulin for cold side use...a cryogenic solventless hop concentrate" dissolved in 33% ethanol (err - isn't that a solvent? :) ) so intended as an equivalent of Incognito. Available in Nelson Sauvin, Rakau, Waimea, Wakatu, Southern Cross and Motueka.

By all accounts if your smell hasn't returned after 6 months or so after Covid then it's probably not coming back - it's been three years for me now...

That sucks, I lasted 5 days without smell and I was going insane. I have not read about it being permanent though, hopefully it will come back.

That's terrible. I had it for the first time over Christmas and lost taste and smell completely for about 5-6 weeks. Was my worst nightmare. Both slowly came back and reckon I'm at about 85-90% of what it was. Still battling with brain fog though. Not good.

I have not read about it being permanent though, hopefully it will come back.
This (smallish) study from Italy found about 7% of people who had "mild" Covid still had no smell at all over a year later, and almost half had some smell problems. Admittedly that's with the original Wuhan strain which was the worst for smell, the more recent strains seem less likely to hit your smell and more likely to go for fatigue and brain fog. Which are not good either! It's also interesting that 10% of the controls had some kind of smell/taste "impairment".

This case-controlled study included 100 patients who were home-isolated for mildly symptomatic COVID-19 between March and April 2020...The psychophysical assessment of chemosensory function took place after a median of 401 days from the first SARS-CoV-2 positive swab. The evaluation of orthonasal smell identified 46% and 10% of cases and controls, respectively, having olfactory dysfunction, with 7% of COVID-19 cases being functionally anosmic. Testing of gustatory function revealed a 27% of cases versus 10% of controls showing a gustatory impairment. Nasal trigeminal sensitivity was significantly lower in cases compared to controls. Persistent chemosensory impairment was associated with emotional distress and depression.

I'm kinda resigned to it being permanent now. Shame, as I've got a cellar full of good wine that I will never really appreciate properly, but it just means I'm pivoting more to beers with bitterness as that's something I can still appreciate - English bitter and West Coast IPAs.

Anyways, apologies for the OTness, but at the same time people on this thread would suffer much more than the average population if they lost their smell/taste so it's worth emphasising that you really don't want to get this sucker!

I had Covid around 3 weeks ago. It started as a sore throat and ballooned into what felt like a full fledged sinus infection and cold mixed together. I lost my sense of smell 4 days after the initial sore throat. I was scared to death. Every few hours I was putting a stick of deodorant right up to my nose to see if I could even get a hint of scent. By day 2 of no smell I was really in a bad place. I was getting depressed, and just and overall downer. My wife was a trooper and tried to keep me positive. Day 3 of no smell came and went and I still couldn't get a hint of anything. Day 4 I was full on depressed and didn't want to get out of bed. My wife didn't like where I was heading and laid down the love. I got myself out of bed, and tried to smell anything. This time I thought I got a hint of something but wasn't sure. It took my wife cooking bacon in the oven later that day for me to recognize the unmistakable smell of bacon. Not full on, but it was there. It took another week to get back to 100%. This was the second time I had Covid. The first time I got was back in July of 2020 before any vaccines were available. I lost my sense of smell for 2 days with that, but I was very congestion and felt like absolute death, so I didn't really care.

To all the people on here that are still suffering from loss of smell, I feel for you. I know what kind of mental state it put me in, and I only lost it for 4 days. I don't know how I would be able to deal if it was gone for months or a year. Keep your heads up and have faith. If you need to talk to someone, please do so. My wife really helped me through the darkness.

Last edited:
I had it the first time round in March, had crazy nightmares for about a year and insane memory loss and lung issues.
Had a CT scan open my lungs after I had covid for the 3rd time a few months back./
Just waiting on the results now..
Weirdly though the crap on my lungs get worse after drinking, thats what they cant fathom out

Dryhop at 2-2.5oz/gallon after droping the yeast and at 56*f for 36-48 hours;
Can you clarify the above statement? Is the 36-48 hours the duration you want it to sit at 56 degrees before adding the dry hop or is that the duration of the dry hop. If the latter, how long do you let it sit at 56 before adding the dry hop (ie - how much time at 56 do you allow for the yeast to drop before adding the hops)?

Can you clarify the above statement? Is the 36-48 hours the duration you want it to sit at 56 degrees before adding the dry hop or is that the duration of the dry hop. If the latter, how long do you let it sit at 56 before adding the dry hop (ie - how much time at 56 do you allow for the yeast to drop before adding the hops)?
I actually crash it to 40 and let it sit there for 48 hours. Then set the inkbird to 56*f and dryhop when it hits that temp and let the dryhops sit at that temperature for 36-48.

Last edited:
I actually crash it to 40 and let it sit there for 48 hours. Then set the inkbird to 56*f and dryhop when it hits that temp and let the dryhops sit at that temperature for 36-48.

Curious if you use the same vessel for fermentation and dry hopping or transfer the beer to a separate dry hop vessel.

Curious if you use the same vessel for fermentation and dry hopping or transfer the beer to a separate dry hop vessel.
Depends if I have two fermonsters and two close transfer lids available at the time. If I do then I will transfer to a close transfer to a dryhoping vessel

Speaking of which, the editor of Brew Your Own (BYO) magazine saw my fermonster closed transfer lid build here on HBT and asked if I would be interested in writing an article for their DIY Project column. I agreed and it it in the March/April edition
E1934C9C-9662-4F3A-B239-ADC007EBE4AB.jpeg
113BD2B5-E8FF-4AD3-804E-7287FC8B2FEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you noticed a difference between the 2 methods?
Yeah the secondary dryhop vessel beers have the potential to have better hop intensity but they also have an increased risk of oxidation so attention to detail and process really matter.

What is improving the beer is not actually the secondary but what that allows me to do with my equipment. Being able to agitate/rouse the hops and get better surface contact with the yeast remove, is what I believe makes the difference.

Last edited:
Back