New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, to touch on that. I ferment in a cf15, the first time I roused hops not only did I not dump enough yeast but I also didn't account for the rise in temp from bursting co2 into the bottom of the fermenter. Result was hop burn. Now I soft crash to 48 for atleast 36 hours, then dump the yeast, dry hop at 55f. 2 separate dry hops 24 hours apart, only minimal rousing with co2 but enough to put the hops back into suspension. It's a tricky thing, kinda walking a line of getting enough hop exposure but not letting the yeast wake up. I think I've got it sorted out for my equipment but ultimately everyone's process and equipment will be different in some way so finding what works takes time and good notes.

First time poster, but have been following this thread for years. Big thank you to all the contributors, there’s a wealth of information in here.

After somewhere between 30-40 iterations of an NEIPA, I finally feel like I’m close to hitting the mark of what I look for in commercial examples of the style. My only gripe, is that there is really no individuality in the hops I use. Everything I make (IPA wise) comes out practically the same in terms of hop flavor. If I had to describe it, I would just say generic hoppiness or a hop soup. It’s not a taste I hate, I’ve certainly had worse commercial examples, and some friends think it’s great. But again, no individuality to my brews, just more of the same. This happens using different hops, different styles (WC and NE), even using just a single hop (Citra, Columbus, Chinook are what I’ve tried.). I buy my hops exclusively from YVH, vac seal the whole Mylar bags they come in, and keep them in the freezer out of light.

I originally chalked this up to oxidation, given how much that can wreck and change the taste. But since I feel like I’ve really dialed in low oxygen techniques, I don’t think this is my issue anymore. Additionally, the beer has the same taste right after initial kegging all the way to ~2 months out, with no perceptible change in color. I even bottled one straight from the faucet of my kegerator in December, and opened it this past weekend. Color had changed a little, but the aroma and flavor was still way better than many commercial examples (mainly referring to bigger brands that taste fine if found fresh but after a month or two on the shelves just turn into that bleh IPA taste) which I did not expect at all. So again, I really do not think oxygen ingress is my issue, but I will detail my process.

Brew day: BIAB mash at 154 with 7gal water, sparge until 7gal reached. (My kettle only holds 9gal, so I can’t full volume mash). Boil, usually with a full wort or boil hop addition at 60min. Whirlpool 170-180. All hops in wire screen can for removal before going in fermenter.

Ferment: Using a chest freezer. Omega DIPA normally, though have used LA3 and Verdant. Start at 68, 70 after 2 days, 72 after 2 days, 74 until about 2 weeks has passed since entering fermenter. I use a blow off tube into water/starsan until that has slacked off, then attach spunding valve at ~12 psi.

Dry hop: Fill dry hop keg with starsan mix, push mix out with CO2 (can’t fit two kegs in freezer or would use excess CO2 for this.) When it’s spitting just CO2 and bubbles I attach the ball lock liquid post to the empty spitting end, to theoretically “purge” my liquid transfer line. When post is attached to line I also press the plunger to push more C02 out, just for assurance. Once keg empty as possible, set psi to ~5 and run CO2, open, dump hops, close, purge a few times. Closed transfer from ferment keg to dryhop keg. In the past I was dryhopping at 50-52, but the last 2 batches I placed the pressurized keg in my kegerator at ~37, and roll the keg every 6 or so hours for 1-1.5 days to suspend the hops. For me, this has yielded the best concentration of taste (that generic hop taste!) and aroma with almost none of the green harsh bitterness I had when using different methods and contact times. After 1-1.5 days in dry hop keg, I transfer to the serving keg, again purged by starsan and the liquid line “purged.” Every single line connection everywhere, gas or liquid, is sealed with an oetiker hose clamp. I do not see bubbles forming in the liquid lines that would suggest a leak. I usually also spray starsan on posts etc of anything pressurized to see if bubbles form/a leak is present.

All that said, the only variables I feel like I may not be doing right are water chemistry and the PH. I use Bru’n Water, and my city Raleigh offers a water report for brewers, so I feel like I’m doing it correctly, but I could be entirely off. However, I have used Raleigh water treated with my additions, Raleigh water untreated, Primo dispenser RO water treated (from 3 different dispensers, and Primo dispenser RO water untreated and the “taste” has largely remained the same, though sometimes there’s more or less of it. Outside of the values obtained from Bru’n Water and my additions, I don’t monitor PH during brewing and definitely don’t adjust for it. I’ve seen various information regarding PH’s impact on dry hops, so I feel like this could be where I’m going wrong and am happy to get a meter if its what will up my game.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. And another big thank you to the contributors in this thread! I’d be so behind without it.

Hopefully I included everything necessary. I will attach my recipe, city water report, my inputs on Bru’n water, and the Bru’n water outputs in hopes someone can tell me where I’m going wrong. Also attaching a picture of my dryhop keg setup in case it helps someone out. Many ways to do it, it was just what worked for me given the equipment I already had on hand.

EDIT: My water chemistry mash and sparge amounts are set at 5gal because I use two plastic fermenters marked at 5 gal and dump the excess, just to keep measurements/additions the same, if that makes sense.

I don't think I see anything totally off with the technique or the recipe here, although the beer seems more of a Heady-type Vermont IPA rather than the classic NEIPA (60 IBU, Omega DIPA). I'd personally still be weary of rolling the entire keg with hops in it, despite purging it multiple times, there may still be trace amounts of O2 left in there. I do a soft rouse like @Dgallo mentioned above.

Nonetheless, have you tried adding 2oz/gal DH for these beers? Maybe also throw another oz or two into the whirlpool and try some Cryo/Lupomax for the dry hop on top of that. That should help add a little more hop definition and maybe give Verdant or LA3 strains another shot. They're so frequently used because they're so good. If you like your hazies to finish a little drier, I definitely recommend Verdant, it attenuates higher than other LA3 strains.

Your mash pH looks fine to me, although have you measured your final beer's pH?

I'd personally still be weary of rolling the entire keg with hops in it, despite purging it multiple times, there may still be trace amounts of O2 left in there.
Respectfully, I very much disagree! if the O2 is in your container, it’s in your beer
regardless if you agitate or not.

I love being able to cold crash, get off yeast, dry hop and agitate the crap out of it!

Here’s how Im set up more recently. The DH keg gets purged through fermentation. After cold crash and while I transfer to the dry hop keg I’m using all the co2 in the Dh keg to purge the ~15oz of hops in the dry hop doser. I keep it cold about 50F, and agitate the crap out of it by laying on its side and shaking several times over 24 hours.

5A4C0E48-894C-463D-ABAB-9C914F9FBB5F.jpeg5189FBCD-8980-476F-919D-80D11F5091E3.jpeg

Respectfully, I very much disagree! if the O2 is in your container, it’s in your beer
regardless if you agitate or not.
Technically o2 that’s in the headspace is not dissolved in your beer (granted with time and temperature it will be). So by agitating, you are forcing the oxygen into the beer, so @secretlevel is correct.

That said, If your anti o2 practices are solid, you should be able to agitate your dryhops without an issue. I still wouldnt go too wild with it, but that’s mainly due to not altering any additional foam positive proteins then you need to. Some of these protiens can only create foam one time before they degrade

Last edited:
Right so if it’s in your head space - it’s SOON to be in your beer. I guess that’s a better way of saying it.
My guess (admittedly) is that’s a short time frame. I I would like to play around with a DO meter still… but pre boiled Water left open to air starts picking up o2 as fast as it cools, I think that will happen with my dry hopper beer right away (or over hours) and the effects of the oxidation will follow after that (which as you say is dependent on time and temperature and o2 concentration.)

Last edited:
I don't think I see anything totally off with the technique or the recipe here, although the beer seems more of a Heady-type Vermont IPA rather than the classic NEIPA (60 IBU, Omega DIPA). I'd personally still be weary of rolling the entire keg with hops in it, despite purging it multiple times, there may still be trace amounts of O2 left in there. I do a soft rouse like @Dgallo mentioned above.

Nonetheless, have you tried adding 2oz/gal DH for these beers? Maybe also throw another oz or two into the whirlpool and try some Cryo/Lupomax for the dry hop on top of that. That should help add a little more hop definition and maybe give Verdant or LA3 strains another shot. They're so frequently used because they're so good. If you like your hazies to finish a little drier, I definitely recommend Verdant, it attenuates higher than other LA3 strains.

Your mash pH looks fine to me, although have you measured your final beer's pH?

Good call. I had tried an overly huge dry hop before I got serious with low oxygen techniques, but decided it was a waste until I got my process down. So maybe now is the time to up my amounts and give Cryo/Lupomax a try.

I have not measured the final PH, I haven't invested in a meter or strips yet, was just hoping I was doing the Bru'n water correctly.

When I bought my pH meter, I found that the bru'n water estimates were pretty much spot on. I found the meter to be such a pain to use and maintain, that I just trust bru'n water instead. I know this is pretty lazy, and maybe an opportunity to improve my brewing, but man I hate dealing with that pH meter.

Looks great!

What recipe and hop combinations did you use?
Thanks!

I don’t have equipment for effective closed transfers so I had to take measures to minimize oxidation impacts, one of which was no flaked grains. Grain bill was approximately:

68% Root Shoot Genie Pale
20% proximity malted oats
10% proximity malted wheat
2% Briess honey malt

Hops were galaxy, mosaic, and citra. I used a mix of T90 and Lupomax for citra and mosaic.

Yeast was a co pitch of lallemand verdant and New England

Thanks!

I don’t have equipment for effective closed transfers so I had to take measures to minimize oxidation impacts, one of which was no flaked grains. Grain bill was approximately:

68% Root Shoot Genie Pale
20% proximity malted oats
10% proximity malted wheat
2% Briess honey malt

Hops were galaxy, mosaic, and citra. I used a mix of T90 and Lupomax for citra and mosaic.

Yeast was a co pitch of lallemand verdant and New England
I've been thinking of doing a co-pitch of the same. How was it?

Do you like it more or less than verdant by itself?

That’s awesome man congrats. Great hop combo. Spectrum is great.
It was certainly a cool experience. The beer is definitely going to awesome. We built a beautiful recipe from start to finish and The owner and head brewer chris has great coldside process, so Theres no concerns for o2 or hop creep

Last edited:
It was certainly a cool experience. The beer is definitely going to awesome. We built a beautiful recipe from start to finish and The owner and head brewer chris has great coldside process, so Theres no concerns for o2 or hop creep
Congrats on the brew day. That is hands down my favorite combination. My keg that won gold has just kicked so need to brew it again real soon. Need to tweak the hop ratio for my next brew. Out of curiosity, what was your ratio on this brew?

I asked this question on reddit but didn't really get a great response:

What do you think is the place to get the highest quality hops as a homebrewer? I currently buy from YVH but have been looking into other sources as of late. Here are the main places that seem to be options outside of YVH:

Yakima Chief - LHBS can be hit or miss with the quality/storage of these but assuming they're significantly better buying directly from them. Minimal variety and mostly sell in 1 to 2oz increments direct.

Bell's Homebrew Store - these are legit bell's selected hops. Purchased some recently but haven't had a chance to use, but friends of mine speak highly. Only sold in 1oz increments and pretty expensive, limited varieties

Hops Direct - Haven't used them much but it seems to be sourced directly from one farm in Yakima, and it says that Parish uses their citra for Ghost in the Machine

Hop Alliance - Don't know much about them but have heard good things.

Roy Farms - Another direct farm seller that some pro breweries seem to use. I got a sampler pack from them but haven't used them yet

Hop Heaven - his store is down for now but I've heard great things about his hops (apparently you can still order from him directly).

Can anyone comment on the comparative quality between YVH and any of these other places listed, or comment on other places I haven't listed here? Specifically curious about if Hop Heaven is significantly better than YVH

Last edited:

What do you think is the place to get the highest quality hops as a homebrewer? I currently buy from YVH but have been looking into other sources as of late. Here are the main places that seem to be options outside of YVH:

Yakima Chief - LHBS can be hit or miss with the quality/storage of these but assuming they're significantly better buying directly from them. Minimal variety and mostly sell in 1 to 2oz increments direct.

Bell's Homebrew Store - these are legit bell's selected hops. Purchased some recently but haven't had a chance to use, but friends of mine speak highly. Only sold in 1oz increments and pretty expensive, limited varieties

Hops Direct - Haven't used them much but it seems to be sourced directly from one farm in Yakima, and it says that Parish uses their citra for Ghost in the Machine

Roy Farms - Another direct farm seller that some pro breweries seem to use. I got a sampler pack from them but haven't used them yet

Hop Heaven - his store is down for now but I've heard great things about his hops (apparently you can still order from him directly).

Can anyone comment on the comparative quality between YVH and any of these other places listed, or comment on other places I haven't listed here?
You can only guarantee the quality of bells. All others are honestly luck. That said I have had the best consistent quality from YVH.

YVH is owned by HAAS or has a significant partnership (reason why they are the only carrier of LUPOMAX,incognito,spectrum, etc in the US) and from a business standpoint it is only in the best interest of HASS to provide them access to quality lots. I’ve been using YVH for a very long time and I bet I’ve purchased around 30+ lbs from them in the past few years. I’ve only had quality issues maybe 4 times and 2 of those times it was Galaxy, the same years everyone had issue with Galaxy due to the fires

If you really want quality hops though you need to be a bit out going and build a report with a local brewery you know is using hops from Crosby hops, Indie hops, Freestyle hops, or similar and see if they would be willing to sell a lb or so to you. I currently have Nelson and Motueka from Freestyle hops and Crosby hops Strata CGX (their version of cryo) and they are hands down the best quality I’ve ever seen.

You can only guarantee the quality of bells. All others are honestly luck. That said I have had the best consistent quality from YVH.

YVH is owned by HAAS or has a significant partnership (reason why they are the only carrier of LUPOMAX,incognito,spectrum, etc in the US) and from a business standpoint it is only in the best interest of HASS to provide them access to quality lots. I’ve been using YVH for a very long time and I bet I’ve purchased around 30+ lbs from them in the past few years. I’ve only had quality issues maybe 4 times and 2 of those times it was Galaxy, the same years everyone had issue with Galaxy due to the fires

If you really want quality hops though you need to be a bit out going and build a report with a local brewery you know is using hops from Crosby hops, Indie hops, Freestyle hops, or similar and see if they would be willing to sell a lb or so to you. I currently have Nelson and Motueka from Freestyle hops and Crosby hops Strata CGX (their version of cryo) and they are hands down the best quality I’ve ever seen.
totally, planning on working some angles on the selected/freestyle/crosby hops with some brewery friends now that I'm brewing ipas again. I've had very rare issues with YVH, just want to explore all of my options.

Can anyone comment on the comparative quality between YVH and any of these other places listed, or comment on other places I haven't listed here? Specifically curious about if Hop Heaven is significantly better than YVH
I've used YVH for a few years now, and I'm overall happy with their product. I recently switched it up and ordered some Yakima Chief product the past few orders, and I think they're better hops and more consistent across the board. This is only my personal opinion and not based on science or anything measurable, just my personal experience. The pellets from YCH are larger, greener and smell fresher every time I open a bag. I've gotten some hops from YVH that are much smaller and less green, and have had a few bags smell "less fresh", if that makes any sense.

I got some Tettnang from Hops Direct that are fantastic.

Ok, so lets talk ingredients real quick. I have some questions only because I'm planning on brewing for a competition soon. Last year I entered my first competition and submitted my neipa, it placed 2nd in regionals and made the final table at state finals. In the quest to achieve perfection I am thinking of ways to meet the judges suggestions. My process is sound, and my equipment is capable. So here's what I'm debating in my head.

I haven't used lupomax or anything along those lines so I intend to do that along with t90 of course. I typically use briess malts, 2 row, malted oats, white wheat, and so on. I feel briess is good maltster but I'm willing to try something better if there is a superior grain out there that ppl truly believe make better final product. Next is the subject of ALDC I am skeptical but I've read good things here and elsewhere to prevent diacetyl and so on.

Hop combos I really love to play around with and I haven't settled on what I'm going to do with this one yet. I'll have on hand, citra lupomax, citra t90, mosaic, nectaron, galaxy, nelson, and ctz. Probably have others as well.

Any suggestions and experience with anything mentioned above is appreciated.

Ok, so lets talk ingredients real quick. I have some questions only because I'm planning on brewing for a competition soon. Last year I entered my first competition and submitted my neipa, it placed 2nd in regionals and made the final table at state finals. In the quest to achieve perfection I am thinking of ways to meet the judges suggestions. My process is sound, and my equipment is capable. So here's what I'm debating in my head.

I haven't used lupomax or anything along those lines so I intend to do that along with t90 of course. I typically use briess malts, 2 row, malted oats, white wheat, and so on. I feel briess is good maltster but I'm willing to try something better if there is a superior grain out there that ppl truly believe make better final product. Next is the subject of ALDC I am skeptical but I've read good things here and elsewhere to prevent diacetyl and so on.

Hop combos I really love to play around with and I haven't settled on what I'm going to do with this one yet. I'll have on hand, citra lupomax, citra t90, mosaic, nectaron, galaxy, nelson, and ctz. Probably have others as well.

I switched to Mecca Grade 2 Row (Lamonta) and White Wheat (Shaniko) for my grains, and I swear by them. You'll get a darker glowing orange color vs a bright light straw color, but I think it stands out and looks more appealing. Personal preference, I guess. I've also used Rahr 2 Row with very good success. Much lighter color, but great body and mouthfeel. A close second to Mecca, imo.

As for Lupomax, I haven't had any better luck with it vs standard T90. I know @Dgallo loves Lupomax, but I've had some harshness from using it. My first bag of Lupomax Citra was a big disappointment. The best Citra I've gotten was from Yakima Chief Hops. Red bag. Phenomenal aroma from the moment I opened the bag to the last sip of the finished beer.

Those would be my votes. Curious to see other's opinions. *watching*

Last edited:
Mecca grade was on my list of maltsters to try, being they add that color am I safe to assume you don't use any honey malt? Any change in efficiency? I'm going to brew a test batch so I can adjust for variables within my system but thought I would ask.

Mecca grade was on my list of maltsters to try, being they add that color am I safe to assume you don't use any honey malt? Any change in efficiency? I'm going to brew a test batch so I can adjust for variables within my system but thought I would ask.
Zero honey malt and a little less efficiency than Rahr. I BIAB, double crush fine, and I'm usually in the 75-80% range with Rahr. Closer to 75% with Mecca. To get 6.5 gal into a 7 gal fermenter at about 1.070 (and 100% blowoff lol), I use 10# 2 Row, 3-4# White Wheat and some carafoam.

Mecca claims their WW tastes like cookie dough on the spoon, so I think honey malt might be overkill. I personally never use honey malt in my neipas.

If you want Mecca malts you better buy them now. This is their last season. They are going out of business.

@wepeeler thats surprising that LUPOMAX wash harsh, those pellets remove 50% of the plant material versus traditional t90 pellets, so they shouldn’t add harshness/astringency to you recipe. If all you processes where aces, I would have reached out to them and let them know

I noticed they appeared to be on the way out. Maybe rahr is a better way to go, I brew 15 gallon batches so efficiency isn't the most important thing but it has an impact to some degree on my decisions. Is spelt still a thing? It's been awhile since I used it.

If you want Mecca malts you better buy them now. This is their last season. They are going out of business.

@wepeeler thats surprising that LUPOMAX wash harsh, those pellets remove 50% of the plant material versus traditional t90 pellets, so they shouldn’t add harshness/astringency to you recipe. If all you processes where aces, I would have reached out to them and let them know
I did. They sent me another harsh pound of it lol

I think on my last batch I didn't dump enough yeast and when i roused the hops via co2 in bottom of my conical I think I pushed some yeast along with it, if that makes sense

I could bottle some and send it to you to see what you pick up from it.
I would definitely try it if you’d like. I’d send you something in return.

Either way if you want to know quickly do a forced diacetyl test. you’ll know without a doubt as It will taste like pure butterscotch

I would definitely try it if you’d like. I’d send you something in return.

Either way if you want to know quickly do a forced diacetyl test. you’ll know without a doubt as It will taste like pure butterscotch
Yeah I don't get butterscotch, I think more hop creep, but I'd like to get your opinion, I'll shoot you a pm when I get some time to fill some bottles.

Regarding grains, I think that Rahr 2-row is the best among the mass produced and available to virtually anybody in the USA IMHO. However, if you are wanting to try different grains, over the past ~6 months, I have become a huge fan of Epiphany Malt (North Carolina). To my knowledge you can only purchase it through Atlantic Brew Supply out of raleigh. For me being in NC, this is no big deal and I've ordered online and gone there to get a sack of their foundation 2-row malt in person (1.5hrs drive for me) when I was in Raleigh for a different reason. If you really want to geek out on malts, I would encourage you to visit their website which includes a ton of cool stuff including their efforts to move towards improving their carbon blueprint. The founder, Sebastian Wolfrum, is from Germany. He worked at Ayinger and later became a certified brewer and maltster in Munich before coming to NC. When reading through Epiphany's website, it becomes clear that they are focused on producing very flavorful malts, even the "generic" 2 row variety. They are all a bit darker due to extended kilning if I were to summarize their approach. I've brewed with their foundation 2-row as well as their munich malt and I've tried (eaten) these along with their pilsner. All of them are VERY flavorful and true to their style.

Warning tangent! Recently I brewed an altbier, and during planning I did a taste test of weyermann's munich type I malt (which I really like) with Epiphany's Munich malt. It was a slam dunk! Although I really couldn't do a blind comparison because they looked so different when I tasted both, Epiphany's was brighter, breadier, and had a better malty sweetness than weyermann's. It really wasn't even close. do think some of this might be due to the fact that I got the weyermann's through more beer and epiphany's just seemed MUCH MUCH fresher as well. the kernels were much more consistent, and not as "dry" looking and broken up as the weyermann's munich Type I from more beer.

So I would encourage you if you are in the mood and have the motivation to improve all of your aspects of your NEIPAs, even if its the "lowly" two row malts, I've become a big fan of Epiphany and since I've started tasting the grains more and more when determining grain composition for any beer, I do believe that this "might" even make a difference in a highly hopped beer such as an NEIPA.

Cheers!

EDIT: I have not had Mecca Grade malts for comparison. I do hope that the buyer of Mecca Grade is as passionate about malts as the founder though. Only heard great things about Mecca Grade.

https://www.epiphanymalt.com/
https://www.atlanticbrewsupply.com/

Last edited:
That sucks. I’ve have really good luck with Citra. The mosaic LUPOMAX I have is pretty dank but good just not as fruity as I hoped
I had high expectations for the lupomax pellets vs cryo.
It seems like a lot of bollocks and marketing as they claim to analyze their lots to make them consistent, guess the equipment used for analyzing them is still vastly superior to handpicking.
Or perhaps their consistency profile of certain hops is not aligned to what I believe is the best profile of that particular hop.

Last edited:
I had high expectations for the lupomax pellets vs cryo.
It seems like a lot of bollocks and marketing as they claim to analyze their lots to make them consistent, guess the equipment used for analyzing them is still vastly superior to handpicking.
Or perhaps their consistency profile of certain hops is not aligned to what I believe is the best profile of that particular hop.
Could certainly be just marketing on their end and probably is. They are still a t45 type hop so they will be more concentrated than t90.
Regardless of their claim for consistency, theres absolutely no way to have 100% consistent agricultural products grown outdoors year to year. To much is reliant on the growth year and time of harvest.

Back