New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the anvil foundry so I understand what you are dealing with with the GF I think. Rather than use a hop spider in the kettle, I let them roam free, but it does cost me more in losses in the kettle. For beers with ~6oz in the hot side, I plan on leaving a full gallon of stuff behind. Hurts my BH efficiency but honestly I don't care lol.
I couldn't go loose in the Grainfather for whirlpool, the pump would just die. I use the Grainfather hop spider, it's not overly fine so a fair bit of hops get through it.

A gallon left behind, wow. That's a lot of losses. Maybe I should try that, I tilt my GF to try and get as much as I can, if I had 1/4 of a gallon left behind, I'd be annoyed. There needs to be a lot of trade off for these beers.

Would you be able to elaborate on the other factor's at play, I'm at a loss why my heavily hopped beers lack hop aroma and flavor but definitely have a harshness the I would class as vegetal.
Temperature, oxygen, timing, process, etc. You can take 5 of us on here and have us all use the same exact ingredients and I would almost guarantee we would have 5 very different end products. I’m not saying you absolutely have to load up on DH’s, I just haven’t found there to be much truth to the ‘once you go over x amount you’re just wasting hops’ theory. Sure, you can use lower amounts. Take @Dgallo for example, he uses much lower amounts, it’s pretty clear he’s knowledgeable, and I would be very surprised if his beer aren’t excellent. Everyone has their own methods. I found this experiment enlightening - drink a fresh Julius and and fresh JJJuliusss back to back. Both good beers. You can tell one, by today’s standards, is not a heavily hopped beer. The other, which is basically the same beer with more hops, is a much different beer. I’d be willing to bet JJJ is close to the equivalent of 1# in a 5G batch. There’s heavily hopped IPAs that are great, but there’s also much more reasonably hopped IPAs that I love. It’s all in what you’re going for.

Looks good though! Just curious as to your thoughts, why'd you choose to use simcoe only in the DH and not in WP as well?

Part of it was just having 2 oz bags that I wanted to use all at once. I also wanted to go heavier on the CTZ in the whirlpool because I've had amazing results with the Trillium Melcher St clone, which only uses CTZ in the whirlpool. I wanted to merge that idea into this recipe a bit. At the end of the day I sort of just went for it without thinking too much!

Temperature, oxygen, timing, process, etc. You can take 5 of us on here and have us all use the same exact ingredients and I would almost guarantee we would have 5 very different end products. I’m not saying you absolutely have to load up on DH’s, I just haven’t found there to be much truth to the ‘once you go over x amount you’re just wasting hops’ theory. Sure, you can use lower amounts. Take @Dgallo for example, he uses much lower amounts, it’s pretty clear he’s knowledgeable, and I would be very surprised if his beer aren’t excellent. Everyone has their own methods. I found this experiment enlightening - drink a fresh Julius and and fresh JJJuliusss back to back. Both good beers. You can tell one, by today’s standards, is not a heavily hopped beer. The other, which is basically the same beer with more hops, is a much different beer. I’d be willing to bet JJJ is close to the equivalent of 1# in a 5G batch. There’s heavily hopped IPAs that are great, but there’s also much more reasonably hopped IPAs that I love. It’s all in what you’re going for.
I totally agree with you on this, what works for one person on a homebrew level probably wont for another, too many variables. It's all about finding what works on your system and go with it.

Curious how dank this ended up being? Last time I used that much Columbus in a NEIPA it was crazy dank and overpowered all the fruit notes

A little dank, I think the CTZ came across a little bit as that subtle earthiness on the finish. When I brew Melcher Street clone with all CTZ in the boil/WP and then a fruity dry hop, it gives such a depth of flavor with a dank base and brighter notes on top. That didn't work out quite as well in this one, still a good beer though.

I couldn't go loose in the Grainfather for whirlpool, the pump would just die. I use the Grainfather hop spider, it's not overly fine so a fair bit of hops get through it.

A gallon left behind, wow. That's a lot of losses. Maybe I should try that, I tilt my GF to try and get as much as I can, if I had 1/4 of a gallon left behind, I'd be annoyed. There needs to be a lot of trade off for these beers.

I think the biggest limitation of these all-in-one systems (GF, AF, Brewzilla, digiboil, etc) is that they are all tall and narrow. I tried to make a "cone" with whirlpooling prior to going to the fermenter. I did it, but once the liquid got to the cone height, the whole cone just broke and went to the sides. Too narrow of a vessel and theres no where for the hops/trub to go. So yes, I do take a big loss from leaving in the kettle, but honestly I don't get too caught up in it because I account for it and still get the 5.75g into the fermenter I want every time and thats the goal. I also agree with the pump clogging. Ive had that happen to me twice and I hate taking the pump apart once everything is cooled. The first time, was my fault as I had the whirlpool positioned incorrectly the second time I don't know what happened but got a perfect Saaz hop clog the anvil pump which has a restriction on the inlet making it easier to clog. SO now I steep instead of whirlpool and only use the WP arm when chilling with no issues.

I can smell the hops in the room during the fermentation. I take this as hop aroma leaving the beer before the beer is ready.
Have anyone tried to ferment at lower temperatures to avoid hop aroma evaporation?

Normally I ferment at 19C (66*) for 7 days and 23C (73*) for 3 days.

I can smell the hops in the room during the fermentation. I take this as hop aroma leaving the beer before the beer is ready.
Have anyone tried to ferment at lower temperatures to avoid hop aroma evaporation?

Not much actually volitizing is occurring at that low of a temp. The yeast are consuming the wort and the co2 produced by them will have the aroma of hops and esters.

To put this in perspective, I just finished a NZ Pilsner and fermented it at 52 with 34/70 and still my entire room smells like hops.

Strata. OK just curious, brewed a citra/I7/Strata NEIPA today. Brewed it before a couple of times and absolutely love this combo. I've also brewed a simcoe/mosaic/strata combo. It was dank city for sure but not really bright like I like to balance the dankness. What other combos has anyone used strata with here? Its a fantastic hop but trying to get some new ideas other than the ones in my noggin lol.

Strata. OK just curious, brewed a citra/I7/Strata NEIPA today. Brewed it before a couple of times and absolutely love this combo. I've also brewed a simcoe/mosaic/strata combo. It was dank city for sure but not really bright like I like to balance the dankness. What other combos has anyone used strata with here? Its a fantastic hop but trying to get some new ideas other than the ones in my noggin lol.
How old was your strata? The first time I used it it was super dank and marihuana smell. The last time I used it, it was sweet orange tangerine, no dankess at all.

How old was your strata? The first time I used it it was super dank and marihuana smell. The last time I used it, it was sweet orange tangerine, no dankess at all.
That’s a great point. I’ve used both 2019 and 2020. For me it seems strata is Jekyll and Hyde. Pair it with citra, it’s fruity as hell with a cool edge, paired with simcoe and mosaic it’s dank city. I did both those pairings with 2019 crop initially.

My last neipa I used Citra LM, Mosaic LM, Strata and El Dorado in the whirlpool and dry hop, (2,2,2,1). It was good but not great. I've only done a few neipa's but on my favorite I used .5 Nugget @ 60, Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy (1,1,1,) at flame out and whirlpool, and Citra, Mosaic, and Galaxy (2,1.5,1) dry hop. Then keg hopped an oz of Azacca. So tasty It didn't last long.

That’s a great point. I’ve used both 2019 and 2020. For me it seems strata is Jekyll and Hyde. Pair it with citra, it’s fruity as hell with a cool edge, paired with simcoe and mosaic it’s dank city. I did both those pairings with 2019 crop initially.
I dont think the citra combo makes a difference, paired it with both citra and mosaic. I think hop lot differences and perhaps aging play a role. Its a new hop after all, they probably have to dial in consistency

I would say if you can smell them, they are leaving the fermenter. I’ve been recently dialing in a Sip of Sunshine clone, and made the mistake of adding my 4oz dose of Citra at high krausen. I had been listening to a few podcasts which had recommended that timing, unfortunately I overlooked the fact that they were pressure-fermenting. So after fermentation @ 66F, with a two day rise and hold @ 69F, I pressure transferred from my Blichmann conical and force carbonated. After a week on the the gas, and a 4 week grain to glass, I was very disappointed with the aroma - almost non-existent.
Fast forward 3 weeks, same brew and same recipe but lowered primary ferment to 63F (Safale 05), and waited to dry hop until 1.016 - totally different beer! Primary took 10 days (versus 7)with a final ramp to 66F, and finished gravity was 1.012 (versus 1.010). Tasting impressions after 3 weeks: beautiful citrus aroma, mildly sweet juiciness and zero green hop bite! I really think there is something to lowering the dry hop temperatures. Seems hard to believe that a few degrees made all that difference, but in my case it did.

What's the general consensus on dry hop contact time? at the moment I'm doing 72 hours at dry hop temperature of 60 degrees then a cold crash of 48-72 hours depending on schedule at home. Is this too long? as sometimes including the cold crash the hops could be in for up to 6 days. I know in the Scott Janish book he says most extraction is achieved after around the 24 hour mark.

What other combos has anyone used strata with here? Its a fantastic hop but trying to get some new ideas other than the ones in my noggin lol.

My first one was a Trillium Street clone with Columbus hot side and Strata in dry hop.
Mango, passion fruit, strawberry, cannabis. Lots of taste. But the right taste?

Second was hot side 40g Columbus, 60g Citra, 30g Idaho 7.
Tasted before dry hopping: Dank, pine, mandarin, mango, orange. Aftertaste: Black tea. (I7 I guess? I don't find 'black tea' suitable for my NEIPAs.)
Cold side was 150g Strata, 30g Citra.
Taste like Strata on the dank base.

Both nice beers. But my favorite is still a commercial that was all Strata hot and cold side. That will be my next one, next time Strata is available here.

Brewed this one saturday 1/30/21. 10g batch size, 12oz in the WP (6oz Bru-1/6oz Eukanot). Dry hopping now all in with Cashmere 6oz/Eukanot 6oz. Weird hop combination I know but putting this here just in case someone googles "cashmere and eukanot" like I have done countless times before! Can't wait to try this recipe with 100% galaxy.

I have tasted a very good commercial NEIPA with "Nelson and Motueka" (Senescene | DEYA Brewing Company). I wonder how the hot vs cold side distribution is. Based on this thread it sounds like Nelson easily could dominate Motueka and too much Motueka would give a low overall hop intensity.

Last edited:
Brewed this one saturday 1/30/21. 10g batch size, 12oz in the WP (6oz Bru-1/6oz Eukanot). Dry hopping now all in with Cashmere 6oz/Eukanot 6oz. Weird hop combination I know but putting this here just in case someone googles "cashmere and eukanot" like I have done countless times before! Can't wait to try this recipe with 100% galaxy.
Since you're trying to help future searchers, it's actually spelled Ekuanot. I looked up the name recently because I couldn't figure out how to pronounce it (may have had a few at that moment) and found out it was because the name Equinox couldn't be used so it was essentially named "Equinot"

i brewed a simcoe/citra/strata neipa a couple of weeks ago. simcoe/citra hot side and citra/strata for dry hop. went 2:1 citra to strata on the dry hop. i liked this combo a lot but i did the same brew only sub in galaxy for the strata and i liked that beer much better. i do like strata but also am curios how it pairs with other hops.

Just tapped this 8.5% NEIPA I brewed on Jan 23rd. Flavor is good, a bit better than my last one. Aroma is "ok" I'd say, not nearly as pungent as I was hoping for. I performed a single dryhop for about 60 hours using 3/2/2 of Amarillo/Mosaic/Galaxy for this 5G (packaged) batch. Closed transfer from kegmenter to keg under CO2. Overall am pleased but looking for more aroma!

1612397846354.png

Just tapped this 8.5% NEIPA I brewed on Jan 23rd. Flavor is good, a bit better than my last one. Aroma is "ok" I'd say, not nearly as pungent as I was hoping for. I performed a single dryhop for about 60 hours using 3/2/2 of Amarillo/Mosaic/Galaxy for this 5G (packaged) batch. Closed transfer from kegmenter to keg under CO2. Overall am pleased but looking for more aroma!

View attachment 717116
Give it time. It’s only 10/11 days from brew day. Based on that timeframe you forced carbed it. In a week or so when more yeast and trub that got racked over to the keg drop out the aroma will pop much more. Also when a solid carb gets set it will help further.

Right on, thanks for the insight. I knew it would be a little green still, but I just HAD to try it. Yes, I force carb'd it, set to 29 psi for 24 hrs or so. Honestly it is still a bit under carb'd but decent.

Since this is now my favorite style, I really should get another one in the hopper so it can chill out for a while til I tap it :)

El Dorado is a kind of love it or hate it. It be almost artificial if used in the wrong way. I personally dont mind it.

Agreed on El Dorado. I'm personally a fan of Amarillo and Chinook beers though. They're nice hops to pair with some banger hops for some interesting character. Amarillo comes with nice, tasty grapefruit notes.

Nice extract from the US National Hop Report - see the effect you lot are having on farmers....
Amarillo is an interesting one. Think it must have been on the decline for some time now. I remember in 2011 when it really delivered exciting tangerines and tropical notes, but almost every year since it has been less and less appealing, tending towards a more spicy, tea-like, floral character. I can only assume the reason for this is that it is a low yield variety, and so the farms are letting it sit on the bine too long, resulting in it missing the ideal picking window. Shame, I'd love to brew with some good Amarillo again, for a while it was my favourite hop.

Amarillo is an interesting one. Think it must have been on the decline for some time now. I remember in 2011 when it really delivered exciting tangerines and tropical notes, but almost every year since it has been less and less appealing, tending towards a more spicy, tea-like, floral character. I can only assume the reason for this is that it is a low yield variety, and so the farms are letting it sit on the bine too long, resulting in it missing the ideal picking window. Shame, I'd love to brew with some good Amarillo again, for a while it was my favourite hop.
You could try the Amarillo Lupomax. It may give you what you’re looking for.

View attachment 717116
What was your total hop amounts for your 5g batch? looks great by the way.

Going to try incorporating a lot of process recommendations here for first time in my next brew - the plan is to ferment in a corny with the gas out purging my serving keg. I'm going to try hanging the dry hop in the serving keg from the start so everything stays closed. Once fermentation is finished I will chill to 50F for ~48 hours and transfer over, then crash after a a day or two.

I've got a Janish dip tube filter I'll use for transferring from fermentation keg - has anyone had an issue still with clogging that up? Also planning to spund the serving keg towards end of ferment to naturally carb and I'll leave the DH hanging in the serving keg until beer is finished. I've done a lot of semi-closed transfers and still chasing really solid aroma so I'm excited to give this a shot closed from start to finish.

What was your total hop amounts for your 5g batch? looks great by the way.

Magnum: 0.8 oz. first wort
Citra: 4 oz. whirlpool at about 150 for 30 minutes
Then the dryop already mentioned of 3/2/2 of Amarillo/Mosaic/Galaxy
I also meant to add 1 oz. of Citra for the last 10 minutes of the boil, but forgot it.

I looked at my notes again and it actually came in at 8.7% ABV.

Last edited:
Going to try incorporating a lot of process recommendations here for first time in my next brew - the plan is to ferment in a corny with the gas out purging my serving keg. I'm going to try hanging the dry hop in the serving keg from the start so everything stays closed. Once fermentation is finished I will chill to 50F for ~48 hours and transfer over, then crash after a a day or two.

I've got a Janish dip tube filter I'll use for transferring from fermentation keg - has anyone had an issue still with clogging that up? Also planning to spund the serving keg towards end of ferment to naturally carb and I'll leave the DH hanging in the serving keg until beer is finished. I've done a lot of semi-closed transfers and still chasing really solid aroma so I'm excited to give this a shot closed from start to finish.

Ive Had one semi clog with the janish with a 4 or 6 oz dry hop (can’t recall). I had crashed to 45 or so and was able to transfer about half the keg before pulling air. I crashed in keezer to 30 and was able to transfer the rest. Perhaps I had my pressures too high and transferred to quickly.

I'd definitely do this all again, mind you

Magnum: 0.8 oz. first wort
Citra: 4 oz. whirlpool at about 150 for 30 minutes
Then the dryop already mentioned of 3/2/2 of Amarillo/Mosaic/Galaxy
I also meant to add 1 oz. of Citra for the last 10 minutes of the boil, but forgot it.

I looked at my notes again and it actually came in at 8.7% ABV.
Thanks. Sorry, I thought the 3/2/2 was ratio not ounces. Aroma in my experience usually takes a week or two before it hot's it's stride.

Ive Had one semi clog with the janish with a 4 or 6 oz dry hop (can’t recall). I had crashed to 45 or so and was able to transfer about half the keg before pulling air. I crashed in keezer to 30 and was able to transfer the rest. Perhaps I had my pressures too high and transferred to quickly.

I'd definitely do this all again, mind you
I am a little nervous about this. I just bought one of the diptube filters and I’m planning to use it soon, but haven’t done so yet. I typically do fairly large dry hops in the range of 8 to 12 ounces. I’m crossing my fingers hoping everything goes smoothly and I don’t have to deal with any clogs. I’ve seen some others say that they’ve never experienced a clog using the Janish filter, but I’m still a little apprehensive trying it for the first time.

Its interesting you noted the "floral" component. A while ago I was going for an orange themed beer and was planning on taking Columbus, Citra, Idaho 7, and Mandarina Bavaria. MB was going to be my main dry hop but the MB didn't smell very good at all. So at the suggestion of others here, I went with amarillo instead. In the end it was a very good orange flavored beer but I noticed a distinct floral characteristic as well that was not present in the hydro sample pre-dry hop and amarillo wasn't in the hot side at all and had a big dose int he DH. It wasn't spicy though. It was still a solid beer, the floral notes weren't distracting but actually gave it a nice depth/complexity along with the overall orange profile I was trying to achieve. The amarillo smelled great out of the bag too but I didn't get that "floralness" when I smelled them. But again, my nose is still "in training" lol.

I definitely think it was a little speed related. when i use it as a ferm keg and serving keg for the same batch it works perfectly, draining it completely, but if course only pulling one to a few beers a time when doing that. I've never had an issue clogging then. It was only the one dry hop needing a little more compaction. Other dry hops worked okay too.

Actually know that i think about it, i had one other issue with fruit, apricots in a number 9 clone, that also left a lot of beer behind. that time i was in a rush and didnt crash it again, nor did i really care about capturing every last drop.

I dont have it in one of my active kegs at the moment, but perhaps i will stop using it as a ferm keg and start using it as a dry hop/ serving keg only, where i wont have to transfer off. It might be biased, but I dont think I get the same aroma pulling with a CBDS above the hops as I do pulling through the hop bed

So, just an update. This beer was kegged exactly a week ago and this short pour was the first taste Ive had since keg day (BTW Im VERY proud of myself for that patience! - the key is to have plenty of other beers instead lol). Anyways, this is a great combo! just like keg day, its not harsh at all, zero hop burn. only 7 days post keg so I know the characters may still shift some. But this is great! A great fruity combo, it has nice white wine notes (thank you nelson!) with restrained but present NZ diesel up front with a strong galaxy passionfruit sweetness to finish! I imagine, based on previous experience with Riwaka, Nelson and Galaxy (not all together though) is that the NZ diesel will start to fade a little but the galaxy passionfruit finish will intensify (or at least be more prominent comparatively speaking).

Here's the cool thing: Im sipping this right next to my riwaka single hop pale ale for comparison and I definitively taste the fruity/citrus part of riwaka that I get from my pale ale in this NEIPA. Its obviously not at the forefront but its definitely present which is impressive considering I went with riwaka at 10min boil and WP (no riwaka included in DH) and my DH was exclusively Nelson (2.5oz) and Galaxy (5.5oz). I would love to see a "survivable" chart like YCH put out a little while ago with Riwaka (and other NZ/AU hops) included. Seems to me that Riwaka is a fantastic WP hop with flavor that comes through to the final product.

IMG_9303.jpg

I definitely think it was a little speed related. when i use it as a ferm keg and serving keg for the same batch it works perfectly, draining it completely, but if course only pulling one to a few beers a time when doing that. I've never had an issue clogging then. It was only the one dry hop needing a little more compaction. Other dry hops worked okay too.

Actually know that i think about it, i had one other issue with fruit, apricots in a number 9 clone, that also left a lot of beer behind. that time i was in a rush and didnt crash it again, nor did i really care about capturing every last drop.

I dont have it in one of my active kegs at the moment, but perhaps i will stop using it as a ferm keg and start using it as a dry hop/ serving keg only, where i wont have to transfer off. It might be biased, but I dont think I get the same aroma pulling with a CBDS above the hops as I do pulling through the hop bed
I guess my concern is wether or not it will get clogged during the transfer if the hop mass/sludge on the bottom of the keg is higher than the end of the diptube. Yes, the diptube is covered by the filter, but will it pull the beer through the hop bed or get stuck and clog?

Back