Noob Yeast Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallyMaltyAle

Reaction score
A friend of mine and I began brewing a few months ago and decided to experiment with a recent batch.

We brewed a LME kit from our local homebrew shop and split the 3 gallons of wort into two 1.5 gallon batches and added 1 gallon of purified water to each. His half of the experiment was to add some dry aroma hops to the primary and mine is the control beer.

However, when I went to split the yeast, I ended up with about 75% of the vial in my beer, leaving his a little yeast light...

Is there anything we can do or should we just leave it alone?

Thanks!

Well, you both probably under pitched. You should be using a starter to make sure your cell count is where it needs to be before you add yeast. You can find a good calculator at mrmalty.com.

In practical terms you may get some mild yeasty flavors from a stressed yeast, but I wouldn't worry too much. It will be fine. Just make sure you keep your fermentation temps in range for the yeast you are using. You can find that on the manufacturers website.

Thanks fellas...the guy at the LHBS suggested that since the kit we were brewing was a low OG, we wouldn't need to make a starter, which is why we didn't make one. We bought and brewed same day because we were so excited to experiment with it!

Thanks again!

i am guessing that you used a dry yeast.

do not worry about it. you may have under pitched a little, but unless you made a ginormous russian imperial stout, your beer should ferment out fine.

Back