Noob with a dumb kegerator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jypuckett

Reaction score
I think I know the answer but figured I'd go ahead and ask before I screw something up. I built a kegerator awhile back and have been using the cheap faucet that came with the kit. It started to get stuck so I ordered a Perlick faucet and want to install it. My keg is still about half full and I figure if I unscrew the faucet as is, beer will shoot out of the shank. So my question is, if I turn off the C02 tank and pull the pressure relief valve on the keg coupler, will that be good enough for me to unscrew the faucet and replace it? or am I missing something? This is the first keg I've put in it and just don't want to screw anything up. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You are going to spill some beer anyway, but I would think you should decouple the keg (after turning off CO2 and purging the excess pressure) before you swap out the faucet.

Unhook the beer disconnect from the keg. Open tap and drain any beer (May help if you push pin on disconnect). Change faucet.

If you disconnect the keg (quick connect) there should be no need to adjust pressure or depressurize the keg.

If you remove the QD there will still be pressurized beer in the line, so make sure the second thing you do is to open the faucet with something to catch a bit of beer under it...

Cheers!

Back