noob help with priming, sweetening and flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikon

Reaction score
hello, guys, this is my first time here and I have a question? I have a 5 gallon batch of cider working and I used a red star premier blanc champagne yeast it's still bubbling and is coming to its end. I know it's going to be very dry and I'm not sure how to go about priming for carbonation with sweetening and flavor I have a jar of stevia and some apple pie extract but my question is how do I go about priming with corn sugar for carbonation. Do I stop the yeast from working with Campden tablets then add the corn sugar for carbonation or do I add more yeast?

Any help will be appreciated I somewhat know what I have to do. Is add the stevia and flavor extract before bottling.

The yeast are what creates the carbonation. You don't want to inhibit them.

First thing is to calculate how much sugar is needed for priming.
Assuming you want 2.7 vol CO2 and the cider reached a maximum of 70°F since the end of fermentation...
You need 5.5 oz (156g) of dextrose.

Measure the sugar and then add chlorine-free water to at least 11 fluid ounces (310mL).

Heat the solution and stir until it's all dissolved. It will be clear.

Put the sugar water in your bottling vessel and rack the cider into the vessel with tubing angled to create a slight whirlpool.

It's then ready for bottling in any bottles suitable for holding pressure.

Once bottled, let the bottles sit at 70°F or higher so the yeast can ferment the priming sugar. It will carbonate within a couple weeks.

my closet where I store them for fermentation sits at about 68 degrees f unfortunately it does sit on an outside wall and were in winter in northern Indiana I do wrap it in 2 towels so that helps a bit. Would you recommend adding the non-fermentable sugars and the flavoring to the bottling bucket or to each bottle

Fermentation generates quite a bit of heat, and wrapping it in towels would insulate it, increasing the temperature.

If you want to flavor and sweeten the whole batch to the same level, add it to the bottling bucket before racking. Dissolve the stevia in hot water.

Cheers & welcome to HBT!

Back