Noob Double IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Team_MP

Reaction score
Ok- First off, this is my first time posting

I've done a number of recipes, but this is my first attempt at making my own. I've taken many parts that I liked from other things I've made and putting it here. I want a warmer of an IPA with a lot of pine and a touch of sweetness.

I'm thinking of adding another 1 oz each of Chinook and Warrior at 30 min to increase the bitterness to balance the sweet from the 40L.

Any advice?

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: DP-IPA-2

Brew Method: Extract + Specialty Grain
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 4.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.090
Efficiency: 35% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.099
Final Gravity: 1.023
ABV (standard): 9.99%
IBU (tinseth): 103.57
SRM (morey): 9.7

FERMENTABLES:
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (4.2%)
1.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 30L (12.5%)
9 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (75%)
1 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (8.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 38.49
1 oz - Warrior, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 47.37
0.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 4.62
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 6.82
0.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.54
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.75
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 0 min
2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days at 14 days
2 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days at 14 days

YEAST:
Safale-05 Yeast 2 packs

This sure is a monster of an IPA. If I were you, I would leave out the additional Chinook. Everything else looks good to me. Should be delicious. Let us know how this turns out.

How is this a partial mash? It looks to me like a simple extract an d specialty grain. How are you boiling this?

I'd be interested in trying to convert this to a BIAB recipe.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Seems like a ton of crystal malt and carapils. I'd consider dropping the carapils since the extract likely has some already. I'd drop the crystal to no more than a pound, and even that is quite a bit. I'd go a quarter or half pound. Just my opinion of course, and I'm partial to drier IPAs. I just think all that crystal will end up too sweet.

The hop bill looks good to me. Good luck with your brew!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

How is this a partial mash? It looks to me like a simple extract an d specialty grain. How are you boiling this?

I'd be interested in trying to convert this to a BIAB recipe.

D'oh- You are correct, sir. It's extract + specialty grain. I thought steeping and partial mash were synonyms. Now I know better. Thanks-

Seems like a ton of crystal malt and carapils. I'd consider dropping the carapils since the extract likely has some already. I'd drop the crystal to no more than a pound, and even that is quite a bit. I'd go a quarter or half pound. Just my opinion of course, and I'm partial to drier IPAs. I just think all that crystal will end up too sweet.

The hop bill looks good to me. Good luck with your brew!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Making it overly sweet was a concern, so I appreciate the advice.

D'oh- You are correct, sir. It's extract + specialty grain. I thought steeping and partial mash were synonyms. Now I know better. Thanks-

I'm fairly new to this as well. Wasn't trying to correct you, just curious if you were doing something I wasn't aware of. It's all good, we're always learning about this stuff.

4oz total of flavor/aroma hops seems a little skimpy to me for a malt bill this big. I would up your late additions by at least 50%...especially the simcoe if you want alot of pine.

Back