Non hoppy transfers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBB

Grab me another beer please!
Reaction score
So I brewed a farmhouse ale, 60 and 10 minute boil hops and that’s it.

Do you think I should still practice zero or minimal oxygen transfer? Usually I fill keg with star San, push out with co2 and keep keg sealed. Hook up the ball lock to out and proceed to push beer from fermenter into keg.

The ale is in a carboy and I don’t have the normal hookup lines. I have the racking cane but the tubing is too big. Not to mention, is it advisable to push co2 into a glass carboy, 2 or 3 pounds I would do. And this carboy is also coming out of a 34* cold crash fridge.

So I brewed a farmhouse ale, 60 and 10 minute boil hops and that’s it.

Do you think I should still practice zero or minimal oxygen transfer? Usually I fill keg with star San, push out with co2 and keep keg sealed. Hook up the ball lock to out and proceed to push beer from fermenter into keg.

The ale is in a carboy and I don’t have the normal hookup lines. I have the racking cane but the tubing is too big. Not to mention, is it advisable to push co2 into a glass carboy, 2 or 3 pounds I would do. And this carboy is also coming out of a 34* cold crash fridge.
I think it’s appropriate to always use zero o2 transfers for all styles. Malt compounds also oxidize as well. Ever have a stout that tastes brassy? That’s caused by oxidation.

I think you’d be fine using a glass carboy at 2-3 for the transfer. The bung will pop out before it stresses the glass

Anyway you can hook the carboy up to your keg during fermentation so you don’t have to waste you’re own co2 and just use the blow off?

If you can, try doing some with minimal O2 and some with a normal racking cane. The difference is quite noticeable and it's good to see what the O2 does. I actually like some O2 pickup for some beers (like English Bitter - it brings out some caramelliness) but it does limit the shelf life a bit. Interestingly, when I've done a closed transfer for one keg and open (with some O2 pickup) for another, about half of those drinking them seem to prefer each beer - the most recent was with a sort of light APA/hoppy blonde ale so it even applies to hoppy beers (I definitely preferred the closed/low O2 version with that one).

Ok deed done. Actually the end of the tube on the racking cane fit right into the tube that connects to the keg!

I think I got a little o2 when I removed the airlock bung to when I put on the carboy cap.

Went pretty well, first time doing it on a carboy, so a little awkward, but certainly should be easier next time.

Back