no yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdr01

Reaction score
I messed up and thought I had packages of Safale 04. I don't and the homebrew store is an hour away. Already had mash going so I finished the mash and boil. The wort (11 gal) is now in the fermenter.

The question: Is it OK to leave it for 48Hrs and pitch the 04?

I do have one OLY-004 (liquid) but for 11 gallons of 1.072 wort that won't work.
I could do a starter for about twelve hours before I leave for work. Probably still not enough.

Thanks

While I don't think you are likely to have any issues waiting, I'd probably pitch what I had now. If the other conditions are good, it's not a terrible thing to underpitch.

I'd do a small vitality starter with the Omega and pitch it in 4 hours. Should turn out just fine.

+1 on the vitality starter!

Oxygenate/aerate your wort well when pitching and again, ca. 8-12 hours later (but not after 12 hours or you may risk oxidation).

New plan for now. My neighbor, that likes to drink my beer, will try to stop for yeast on way home.
If that does not work I will do a vitality starter.
Thanks for all the help. This place is great.

OK Back to the vitality starter. Store was closed.

I am doing a 1000 starter with the Olympic. I also have a small vial of WPL 1056. It is some extra from a previous starter I had made.

Can I just toss it in with the Olympic starter I have going?

OK Back to the vitality starter. Store was closed.

I am doing a 1000 starter with the Olympic. I also have a small vial of WPL 1056. It is some extra from a previous starter I had made.

Can I just toss it in with the Olympic starter I have going?

Yea toss them in together, shouldn't be a problem cause i think they have about the same optimal fermentation temperature, assuming you mean Wyeast 1056 and not WLP 1056, cause the WLP strain from that yeast is WLP 001
And I'm not sure but i think that OLY 004 is almost the same as those 2 (flavor aroma) so shouldnt be a problem at all

I came home from work yesterday morning to find the yeast at work. The vitality starter of the mixed yeast seems to have done it.

Latest posts

Back