no sulfate or chloride in water report?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the other numbers as low as they are and given where you live the sulfate and chloride probably don't amount to a hill of beans. Just use 0 for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The highest either of those missing ions could be is about 8 ppm (assuming the other is zero). You could assume something like 3 ppm for each of them and the net effect is the same as AJ's answer...they are negligible.

ok, that's what i was thinking, just didn't know if i could do that. to bad i hate pilsners....

if someone wants to double check my numbers that would be helpful.

Sorry for replying to an old post, but...

What effects a low chloride/sulfate water have on final beer?

Low chloride gives a sense of thin mouthfeel and somewhat insipid malt flavors. It is, in general, not desirable. Low sulfate results in less assertive hops bitterness. It is not desirable if you want assertive hops but if you want 'fine' bittering you want low sulfate.

Ya I noticed that my water report had sulfate listed but had ND in the amount. Thought it was strange but I guess not.

Back