No Sparge, Turbid Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverseMonk

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried no-sparge, "turbid" mashing? I no-sparge brew (really grown to love this process), but would like to achieve a turbid-like mash for my lambic/solera project this year using no-sparge, full volume mashing.

Does anyone have a simple no-sparge recipe/process that would somewhat mimic a turbid mash? Maybe adding a portion of unmalted wheat for a short portion of the end of the mash? I have no intention of trying a traditional turbid mash right now, but would like to get in the ball park with a no-sparge process.

So I ask, any experience or advice out there?

Cheers,
Brian

The issue is that a big part of the turbid mash process is a near-boiling sparge. This serves to gelatinize the remaining starches from the raw wheat and wash them into the kettle.

You might try just drawing off a half gallon of turbid wort a couple minutes into the mash, bringing it up to 180F to denature the enzymes, then adding it once the main wort reaches a boil. Not exactly the same thing, but it'll give your bugs more complex carbs to chew on.

How about heating the whole mash to a higher temperature? >80°C
Only possible if you mash in heatable kettle.

How about heating the whole mash to a higher temperature? >80°C
Only possible if you mash in heatable kettle.

Certainly an option, but the effect won't be quite the same as the long/hot sparge (which pulls tannins and other compounds as well). Still should make a great beer.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I mash in a direct fired keggle with great re-circulation, so getting a very hot lauter shouldn't be an issue. I could even lauter more slowly (similar to a fly sparge) if that serves to better mimic the turbid process.

Getting the more complex sugars/starches for the yeast and bacteria (to create more complexity) was my main goal. I think I'll try both approaches and see which suits me better. At any rate, I'll get a more complex wort compared to s a "standard mash", which will hopefully result in a more complex beer a couple years down the road. It'll take me three batches to fill my fermeter, so lots of opportunity to try different processes.

Thanks again guys! And Old Sock, your book is on my Amazon wish list. I need to pick it up before I get too far down this road. I've heard lots of good things. I hope it has been a successful project for you!

Cheers,
Brian

Back