No signs of cabonation in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason1781

Reaction score
I bottled my hef a week and a half ago and I still don’t see any bubbling or foaming in the neck of the bottles.
After I sanitized the bottles, I lightly rinsed them once with tap water, but they were not completely dry when I bottled them because after bottling 75% of the batch, I turned an empty bottle upside down and noticed a tiny bit of water run out. So now I'm worried that there was a little star-san water in there that killed the yeast and the bottles won’t carbonate.

Has anyone experienced this before?

star san wont kill your yeast most likely, Did you rinse the bottles after starsan?
Where are you letting the bottles carb, room temp I hope? and only a week and a half, I usually have minimal carbonation after one week. wait another week or so. Did you thoughtly mix your priming sugar solution in? was there still any visible yeast in suspention? Did you cold crash your beer, it will take longer to carb if you did!

You won't see any krausen in the bottles as they carbonate. The only time you'd see bubbling or foaming in the bottle is if the cap seal isn't good enough. Star San won't hurt your yeast at all.

If you want, it's perfectly fine to 'sample' a bottle once a week after bottling. You know, for science.

You wont see any bubbles in the bottles. My last batch did'nt have anything and turned out great. You'll be fine do dont worry.

zoebisch01 said:
You will with some yeast strains, WLP380 does this. It's like a mini Krausen. :D

Yep...In fact someone posted pics on here a couple weeks back..the OP thought his beer was ruined because there was "gunk" in the necks of the bottles...

Jason1781, there's nothing wrong with YOUR beer...the problem is you simply opened them up at only a week and a half. This is the most common "is my beer ruined" question we get around here (after, my beer tastes like crap, I opend them after a week.) Both answers are the same...It takes a minimum of 3 weeks at 70 degrees for a beer to be bottle conditioned and fully carbed...Your beer hasn't finished it's process....The 3 weeks is just a rule of thumb...actually some beers take longer...I've had stouts and Porters that have taken 2 months before they're fully carbed and drinkable....

Take each bottle, and gently roll it on it's side on a table back and forth a couple of times..Then put them back into storage in a 70 degree place and leave them alone for TWO MORE WEEKS...Then they'll be fine...:D

Starsn won't kill your yeast...actually leftover starsan is GOOD for yeast, it becomes yeastfood for them.

I highly recommend you read through this thread it gives a lot of advice to the new brewer. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54362

Revvy said:
Jason1781, there's nothing wrong with YOUR beer...the problem is you simply opened them up at only a week and a half. This is the most common "is my beer ruined" question we get around here (after, my beer tastes like crap, I opend them after a week.) Both answers are the same...It takes a minimum of 3 weeks at 70 degrees for a beer to be bottle conditioned and fully carbed...Your beer hasn't finished it's process....The 3 weeks is just a rule of thumb...actually some beers take longer...I've had stouts and Porters that have taken 2 months before they're fully carbed and drinkable....

Take each bottle, and gently roll it on it's side on a table back and forth a couple of times..Then put them back into storage in a 70 degree place and leave them alone for TWO MORE WEEKS...Then they'll be fine...:D

+2! I have not had a problem like this yet that time did not solve. But it sure is hard to be patient enough at first. These days', I enjoy my beers most after a few months.

+1 on what Revvy said.

I am amazed at how many people ask this question! You should read some literature man...they say three weeks for a reason. That being said, I had the same mind set for my second batch. Don' worry you will learn patience. ;)

I assume if they are less than room temp (~70) it will just take longer if at ~62 or will that make the yeast drop out and they'll never carb?

At 62 they will still carbonate, like you said, it will just take longer (probably not too much longer). I would say anything below 45-50 it will officially not carbonate, depending on the strain.

I always wait at least 2 weeks before tasting my first. On my last batch at 2 weeks the bottle made only a slight poof when opened. By 4 weeks it was really good, by 5 weeks it was gone.

Revvy always has some usefull threads of info. It helps to just search previous posts though. Many have walked in these footsteps before us.

After my first few batches and trying them at 2 weeks vs 3 weeks there is a world of difference. I won't even sample them until 3 weeks from now on, it seems like wasting a good beer!

Dave the Brewer said:
At 62 they will still carbonate, like you said, it will just take longer (probably not too much longer). I would say anything below 45-50 it will officially not carbonate, depending on the strain.

Yep. I had a bunch of newly bottled beer conditioning in my basement a few weeks ago. After three weeks, there was zero carbonation. I brought them upstairs and let them sit in a closet and after three weeks of these warmer temps, the beer came around just fine.

Latest posts

Back