No oxygen dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we can officially nounerate this process. @mongoose33
Any configuration of dropping hops from a sight glass is hereby called a Mongoose.
Therefore, I think the primary solutions to no oxygen dry hopping are, you can either "Mongoose" or "Brink"......

This is quite appropriate, as on Saturday I DH'd in exactly this way. Been very happy with the results on my Spike Flex+.

Someone has to figure out how to use the new cans next.

unnamed.48.png

Holy cow - that's not going to be their go-to packaging now, is it?
How tf do I reseal one of those cans? :drunk:

[edit] Ok, they come with a snap-on lid. But short of adding a purge port there's no way to get O2 back out of the can once opened, whereas I can squeeze/suck the air out of the foil bags...

Cheers!

I know, right? Maybe they're able to mechanize, thus saving packaging overall costs?
I have my foodsaver, and will continue to use it. It does not, however, have a beer can sealing feature addon.

Think of it as an option. Professional operations are using canned hop extract with success. We just need to scale it. Like hop shots. Or keep using whole or pellets. Choice is a good thing.

Seems to me that once opened you lose any advantage to those cans. I haven't seen what type of lid they are but wonder how well any snap on lid would sea. And storing the cans would not be ideal IMO. Especially when there is under an ounce in them. I vacuum bag my hops and store them in bins in alphabetical order.... That would be very difficult and take up a lot of space with those cans.

Not sure if it's their angle(it should be everyone's angle), but aluminum seems much more environmentally friendly than mylar. To my knowledge aluminum is one of the easiest/least wasteful things to recycle and while mylar ends up in landfills. Brewers should care since almost all of their raw materials are agricultural.

Don't care. We "recycle" everything we can (who knows what actually happens to it all) but I still have a few self-serving boundaries left and considering how much and how many strains of pellet hops I keep in the freezer I'm not going to make them less likely to persist...

Cheers!

Don't care. We "recycle" everything we can (who knows what actually happens to it all) but I still have a few self-serving boundaries left and considering how much and how many strains of pellet hops I keep in the freezer I'm not going to make them less likely to persist...

Cheers!

Agreed ! We've been hit in California with the paper straws ......ugh the worst ever

I am sticking to bags. I tried mason jars with the sucky-lid-vacuum-thingie and was unimpressed, mostly with the form factor. My real problem is that I just counted and have over 160 oz of hops and brew < 200gal/year. What was I thinking getting a deal on a pound of cashmere and a pound of callista?

EDIT: Mongoose posted why they are jumped together if I just read the details better the first time :)

Just want to say thanks for the info here. After brewing my first NEIPA recently I am inspired to build a system similar to these!

Similarly to how @VirginiaHops1 describes it--if you're just putting the hops in a keg that isn't purged, it's of no value. Even if it's purged, merely opening the lid will introduce at least some air, and thus some oxygen.

Most of us in this thread who are talking about putting them in a purged keg mean in a keg that is being repurged with fermentation gases.

This pic here shows the process--it's my conical here, but I've done exactly the same thing using my bigmouth bubbler plastic fermenters. You just feed a line off the airlock/blowoff port to the OUT post of the keg, open the PRV (or install just a gas QD if pinlocks), and the fermentation gases go into the bottom of the keg and force out whatever is at the top.

So the idea would be to take a star-san purged keg that contains only bottled CO2, pop the top and drop in the hops, being careful to admit as little air as you can (unavoidable to admit at least a little). Then attach the OUT post to the blowoff, and let those fermentation gases purge that little bit of air out of the keg again.

In the pic below I have the gas coming off the pressure manifold on top (I use that instead of a blowoff cane), feeding into the keg. In this case I've daisy-chained a jumper for I use for transfers. I no longer do the daisy chain thing as I purge the jumper w/ beer, but if you just look at the line it terminates at the keg.

(BTW, this is even a way to purge a keg from the get-go without the hops. Clean the keg, sanitize it, dump the star-san, then close up. If you connect it like the pic, you'll fully purge the keg with ferm gases. Every 2 points of gravity produces about 1 volume of CO2. If you have, say, 50 points of gravity attenuation, that is 25 volumes of CO2. That's enough to purge that keg down to virtually unmeasurable O2, better than what bottled CO2 has.)

View attachment 639313

Last edited:
EDIT: Mongoose posted why they are jumped together if I just read the details better the first time :)

Just want to say thanks for the info here. After brewing my first NEIPA recently I am inspired to build a system similar to these!

Yeah, that was back when I was purging lines of air as well. I figured out later that I had to blow out the gunk in the racking arm and thus the beer and gunk would purge the line, provided I didn't allow it to empty.

Mongoose shouldn’t the purged keg in the pic above have a co2 line running to a bucket of starsan to create an airlock?

Who knows, you Americans might even learn to drink beer properly, out of a glass instead of straight from the bottle...
[ducks and runs for the hills...]

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

I have to have my beer in a glass . It's one of my peeves lol. I guess craft beer has made me into a beer snob ;)And I dont use straws unless I absolutely have to .

Can't hear you all on account of all the hills being in the way... ;):D

I can drink a simple beer (blonde ale, etc.) out of a can if I'm camping, but yeah, drinking most kinds of good beer right from its container is a travesty, IMO.

Especially on IPAs and aroma-heavy beers. Some people really seem to underestimate the role your nose plays in "tasting" beer. To any doubters, pour your favorite IPA into a glass, and take a nice slow sip. Tastes great, yeah? Now, with your free hand, plug your nose completely and take another sip from the glass.

Mongoose shouldn’t the purged keg in the pic above have a co2 line running to a bucket of starsan to create an airlock?

Should it? I suppose when the flow of CO2 slows down it would make sense to do that. No reason why a gas QD couldn't have a tube attached and have it terminate in a blowoff jar.

That's what I do, both when filling with sanitizer [inverted keg], and when filling with beer. Just feel better about keeping O2 that much further from my precious neipas than an open PRV or a bare QD on the gas post :D

I don't use Star San in the bucket, just plain water. It's not going to go backwards...

Cheers!

[edit] As it happens I had to keg my latest neipa batch today, so...

First keg on the scale...

kegging_01sm.jpg

...and filled.

kegging_02sm.jpg

2nd keg...

kegging_03sm.jpg

...all done.

kegging_04sm.jpg

Last edited:
I can view my Raspberry Pints tap list literally anywhere with an internet connection - the above was a screen grab from my office workstation - but its primary function is to drive the display atop my keezer tower...

rinser_installed.jpg

Cheers!

I don't use Star San in the bucket, just plain water. It's not going to go backwards...

I'm guilty of always sticking the line in a bucket of star-san. Not sure why. Old habit.
From now on, I'll leave the star-san alone and fill with water.

Latest posts

Back