NO Lager, lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbaz

Reaction score
I recently fermented an all grain (KIT) "light american lager." with a wyeast 2007. fermented @ the recommended 10 C , for 3 weeks , 1.048 OG to 1.012 fg. Unexpected temps leave me without a lagering place. So what should i do either.
1.) secondary in now 10 -15 degree c temp
2) secondary at room temp
3) put in original garage location and let fluctuate from 6-10 c for next 4 weeks.

What ill effects if any can a lager yeast produce if not lagered?

To my understanding, a beer fermented with lager yeasts at ale temperatures are Steam/Callifornia Common beers.

I recently fermented an all grain (KIT) "light american lager." with a wyeast 2007. fermented @ the recommended 10 C , for 3 weeks , 1.048 OG to 1.012 fg. Unexpected temps leave me without a lagering place. So what should i do either.
1.) secondary in now 10 -15 degree c temp
2) secondary at room temp
3) put in original garage location and let fluctuate from 6-10 c for next 4 weeks.

What ill effects if any can a lager yeast produce if not lagered?

Lagering helps condition the beer and clarify it. You can still make beer without lagering - it may just need more conditioning time before it's as you'd like it to taste.

The fact that it was fermented at the 10 Deg C mark suggests it will have a clean, esterless profile. Did you do a diacetyl rest?

Using gelatin/isinglass will help drop out the yeast and keeping it at as low a temp as you can for as long as you can should be fine.

@greencoat - it's already been primary fermented at lager temps - it's the conditioning phase that's being enquired about here (unless I've missed something).

no, you're right full Ferment at 10 c , and we are dealing with a conditioning issue, i thought flavour may be affected without long lager.

Back