no kraussen on my first starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teej_810

Reaction score
i did my first starter last night for my beer that i'll brew today. woke up this morning and i see that there is pretty much no kraussen on the top like i thought i would see. but there is a decent amount of yeast at the bottom. Should i be worried? i thought i did everything right to the t.

it can take a while. mine usually take about 18 hours to hit "high krausen" sometimes longer if i used older washed yeast.

what was your OG of the starter? Is it on a stir plate? What is the temp? what strain (some are faster than others to start) What was your starter volume? All of these can have an affect on the activity of the starter.

what was your OG of the starter? Is it on a stir plate? What is the temp? what strain (some are faster than others to start) What was your starter volume? All of these can have an affect on the activity of the starter.

i didnt take a gravity reading of the starter. should i start getting in the habit of doing this? another thing is during the boil i had more boil off than i expected so final volume was down to around 800ml. i have also just been giving it a shake every few hours

Well a few things that I got from talking w/ the guys @ white Labs (those guys ROCK!) is you want to keep your starters around 1.038 or so. You are trying to get the yeast to the reporduction stage not the alcohol producing stage. So, yes an OG reading will help. 800 ml is an OK place to start but I look for 1200-1500 Ml @ 1.038 and on the plate I will see full Krausen in 18 hours or less.
Giving it a shake is a great idea or I tend to tell people a "swirl" every time I look at it swirl it if you dont have a plate. without a plate you may take a little longer to hit high Krausen.
What strain? Straight from the vial or a washed used sample?
Cheers
Jay

Back