no flaked wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
The wit recipe I'm working on is calling for a lot of flaked wheat and all I have on hand is wheat malt. I do have a few lbs of flaked barley, should I just brew the beer with the malted wheat or should I add a lb of flaked barley?

From Palmer:

Flaked Wheat Unmalted wheat is a common ingredient in wheat beers, including: American Wheat, Bavarian Weisse, and is essential to Belgian Lambic and Wit. It adds starch haze and high levels of protein. Flaked wheat adds more wheat flavor "sharpness" than malted wheat. Use 0.5-2 lb. per 5 gal batch. Must be mashed with base malt.

Use the malted wheat, it will be much closer in flavor plus the other characteristics of wheat, than the flaked barley.

I'm using malted wheat but I was wondering if I should through in some flaked barley.

I use flaked oats in my Wit for 10% of the grist. I wouldn't use flaked barley.

Malted wheat will be less crisp and a bit darker than using flaked wheat. If you have some lactic or phosphoric acid you will probably want to add a bit at bottling/kegging time to get the crispness you would get from using the unmalted wheat.

Back