No fermentation yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHaught

Reaction score
Hi, first time posting and brewing.

I bought a brewing kit from Midwest, and a Fat Tire clone from AHS to brew my first batch. I followed all the directions and pitched the yeast and 48 hrs. later no fermentation. (O.G. is unchanged at 1.050)

My question is if I pitch more yeast at this point, (White Labs California Ale V 051) is there still a decent chance that the beer will turn out well? It's been sitting in the primary with the airlock on at between 68 and 70 degrees and I've already tried re-aerating once.

Should I just go to my local homebrew store and buy another vial of yeast and then aerate the wort and pitch once more or should I consider starting over?

Thanks for any advice.

Just saw the "First brew, and worried" sticky. Sorry if this is a bonk thread. I just wonder how long the wort will be good for if it doesn't take to fermenting. I'll give it another day or so.

it can often take up to 72 hours for visible signs of fermentation. As Bensiff asked the temp at which you pitched the yeast should be the only possible problem as pitching over much over 100F can kill the yeast

It was mid 70's temp when I pitched. The one thing that got me worried was that I ordered the kit from Austin and it was in transit for several days over a weekend. It shipped with a cold pack but looked to have gotten quite warm riding on a truck and most likely sitting on a truck at some point over the weekend.
Wasn't sure if it was possible to have ruined the liquid yeast in transit as I know truck temps can exceed 100 deg in the sun locked up.

I'm going to check out a homebrew store in Charlotte tomorrow and maybe pick up some more yeast while I'm there. If no fermentation in another day or so I'll aerate and pitch and hope for the best.
If I'm lucky and tomorrow afternoon when I check it is working then I'll just have another vial of yeast for my next batch.

If I used a White Labs yeast with an OG of about 1.050, and without making a starter, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if it hadn't started fermenting at 48 hours.
But I would be surprised if it didn't start within the next 48 hours.

-a.

Every brew to date has taken around 48 hours for visible signs, just relax brodude.

When you get the yeast there is no way to know how many arrived alive until you make a starter. It seems like your vial had low viability. It will likely start on it own. Other than in the unlikely event that they were all dead adding more now will not help at all. The yeast have been busy multiplying and will give you visible signs of fermentation soon.

Make a starter and you can make better, more consistent beer.

So I gave it a total of 72 hours with still no visible signs of activity and no change from the OG and I picked up a smack pack of yeast from the local HBS and pitched it this evening. There is now a small layer of action on the top and some change in the levels of the air lock.

I hope I end up with a drinkable approximation of Fat Tire by the end of all this. I learned a lot just preparing the first wort so I picked up an ingredient kit to do a Sierra Nevada Porter Clone while I was out today.

I keep 2-3 packs of dry ale yeast around just in case. It's saved my butt a few batches ago.

I understand your worries. I brewed the exact same kit wednesday and pitched my starter thursday evening, Peeked a bit ago and krausen has just now started forming on top. Must. Learn. Patience.

Woo Hoo, it seems to be doing well now. Its steadily bubbling out the airlock about 3 or 4 times a second. I had my wife come check it out and she said it really stinks. It is kind of a funky smell. I've heard other people mention the smell but I guess you just have to find out for yourself because it is very unique. It's sitting in the tub in the guest bathroom so that room won't see much use for a few days at least.

I'm still debating whether or not to go to secondary or just let it work in the primary.

I plan on leaving mine on the yeast until its done. No sense disturbing it if your not going to add fruit or dry hop it or something.

Latest posts

Back