No fermentation after 48 hrs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
Hey guys, need a little guidance here. Had a brew day this past Saturday. Made 2 - 12 gallon batches using Omega yeast for the first time. For one batch we used Omega Bonanza on a 5.1ABV ale and for the other batch we used Omega Cosmic Punch for a 7.1 ABV IPA.

We had some issues brewing as we were in my garage and it was about 10 degrees outside. But we were able to complete both brews.

There were 3 of us so we split both 12 gallon batches into 6 corny kegs (4 gallons each) - each guy got 2 - 4 gallon kegs - 1 of each type of beer.

The IPA with Cosmic punch started fermenting that night - no issues. The Ale with Bonanza did not. All 3 of us had the same issue.

1 guy was able to get his to start fermenting and now his is going very well, but the other two of us still have no activity.

Im thinking temperature could be a factor here - does anyone know if Omega yeast is more sensitive to temp? My kegs were sitting in my basement where is it about 65 degress. I moved the ale upstairs where it is more of a constant 68 degrees. Been there for 24 hrs and still no activity. Im wondering if it needs to be warmer.

I havent pulled off the center cap of the keg to see if there is krausen yet.

Any help here would be appreciated as I am about to go grab a packet of dry yeast and pitch it.

Thanks.

1 guy was able to get his to start fermenting and now his is going very well, but the other two of us still have no activity.

Don't you think your best advice would come from that guy. What things did he do to get his going?

Don't you think your best advice would come from that guy. What things did he do to get his going?
His house does run a little warmer - not usually under 70. He also shook his up and rolled it on the floor. I tried the shaking and rolling thing but it didnt seem to do much for me or my other buddy.

How much yeast did you pitch? Did you make starters?
If you made a starter for the Bonanza that grew OK, then you can be sure that the yeast was OK and troubleshoot the growth.

How much yeast did you pitch? Did you make starters?
If you made a starter for the Bonanza that grew OK, then you can be sure that the yeast was OK and troubleshoot the growth.
Used 2 bags (200B) and made 2 starters. Those kicked off really well. Cold crashed them after 24 hours for about 12 hours, poured off some of the beer and swirled the rest and pitched. Like I said - 1 of the 3 kegs is fermenting fine, the other 2 are not. Only real difference I can think of is the fact that they are in 3 separate homes - which could have varying temps.

Could be a small leak that I dont see or hear too but I pressure tested these kegs before we brewed and they were fine. I think the yeast is just dormant for some reason. I was thinking of wrapping an electric blanket around mine to raise the temp - see if that would help.

Used 2 bags (200B) and made 2 starters. Those kicked off really well. Cold crashed them after 24 hours for about 12 hours, poured off some of the beer and swirled the rest and pitched. Like I said - 1 of the 3 kegs is fermenting fine, the other 2 are not. Only real difference I can think of is the fact that they are in 3 separate homes - which could have varying temps.

Could be a small leak that I dont see or hear too but I pressure tested these kegs before we brewed and they were fine. I think the yeast is just dormant for some reason. I was thinking of wrapping an electric blanket around mine to raise the temp - see if that would help.

Then the yeast should be OK.

Omega gives a temp range of 64-75, so you were at the low end of that but should still be fine.

The nice thing about kegs is it's really easy to pull a sample to see if it is fermenting.

Then the yeast should be OK.

Omega gives a temp range of 64-75, so you were at the low end of that but should still be fine.

The nice thing about kegs is it's really easy to pull a sample to see if it is fermenting.
So if my OG was 1.052 and I use a picnic tap to pull a sample and it measures out at like 1.030 does that mean its fermenting?
The FG should end up at 1.012

The only reason the gravity of your sample has dropped is because it is fermenting. With an OG of 1.052 and an estimated FG of 1.012 it would seem like your beer is about half way there.

Even if your beer reaches the expected FG in a couple days, don't rush it. Give it at least a couple weeks in the fermenter.

Took a gravity reading - it was about 1.020 so it must be fermenting. Pulled center lid to add dry hops and could see krausen ring. All good. I guess I must have a leak somewhere. Thanks everyone for your advice and input.

Back