No carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birome Brewer

Reaction score
I bottled a blonde ale about 4 weeks ago. I haven't gotten into kegging yet, but I almost have everything I need to begin. Anyway, the blonde ale doesn't have any carbonation. It is the first time in 6 batches that I've done that I haven't had any carbonation, and I don't think I did anything different. Any ideas on what might have went wrong? Also, is there anything I can do to fix it? I figured once I got all the kegging equipment, I could transfer the beer from the bottles into the keg and force carb it.

Thanks.

Did you add fresh yeast when bottling? How old was your yeast when you brewed the batch? How much DME/corn sugar did you add at bottling time? Are the bottle caps sealed properly on the bottle? Did the bottles get cleaned properly prior to bottling?

Did you add fresh yeast when bottling? How old was your yeast when you brewed the batch? How much DME/corn sugar did you add at bottling time? Are the bottle caps sealed properly on the bottle? Did the bottles get cleaned properly prior to bottling?

Fresh Yeast--No. I have never added fresh yeast and this is the first time I've had any trouble.

How old was the yeast?--Not sure, but I order from Austin Homebrew. As far as I know, they always provide fresh ingredients.

Sugar--I used 4.5 ounces of priming sugar that came with the kit. It says on the package that it is enough to do 5 gallons. Again it is the same I've done in the past.

Bottle caps sealed--I'm pretty sure they are. I had no problems when I was bottling and the caps come off like every other batch I've done.

Bottles clean--Absolutely. I wash the bottles when I'm done with them. I then wash them again on bottling day and then sanitize them after they are washed.

you won't want to transfer the bottles to the keg...you'll risk major oxydation unless you rig up a siphon and purge each bottle with co2...a pita.

Try rolling the bottles back and fourth on a table to re-rouse the yeast, then find the warmest place you can and stick them in there for another 2 weeks and check on them then...if nothing you can use carb caps, or priming tabs; you'll open each bottle, let any co2 bleed out, then add the requisite amount of drops to each bottle and re-cap...

You don't want to do it right away if the beer still has the potential to carb up on their own, else you may risk bottle bombs....try the yeast re-rousing and wormth first.

:mug:

has any sediment formed in the bottles?

are you using a cheap wing capper?

if you have sediment, then the bottles tried (or are still trying) to ferment the priming sugar to make carbonation. if that's the case, you may need to wait longer. it could also be the wing capper not getting a good seal, so the carbonation is escaping. putting a balloon over the top of a bottle can help detect this.

has any sediment formed in the bottles?

are you using a cheap wing capper?

if you have sediment, then the bottles tried (or are still trying) to ferment the priming sugar to make carbonation. if that's the case, you may need to wait longer. it could also be the wing capper not getting a good seal, so the carbonation is escaping. putting a balloon over the top of a bottle can help detect this.

Balloon is a good idea.

Back