No carbonation in my kegged brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThriceIn5Minutes

Reaction score
Okay, so I just racked my blonde ale from secondary to the keg. The secondary was cold crashed so it was close to 35 deg in the keg. I turn up the pressure to 25 psi and shook the piss out of the keg. I hear the regulator pushing extra co2 into the beer for about 2 minutes, finished up with a total of 5minutes of shaking. Then it sat at 25 psi for an hour.

I tried it to test carbonation level and it was near flat. Having kept the keg on ice, I know it was still close to 35 deg. I cranked the regulator to 35 psi. Shook for 5 minutes, and set it aside for an hour again. Still only minimal carbonation.

This is my second batch to go into kegs and both have given me the same problem. What gives?

you dont have a keggerator? well, I usually shake in the morning and before I go to bed and then when I wake up in the morning there's carb. I also shake after drinking alot of beer but that's different. :mug:

Like I said, it's only my second batch to go in kegs. I haven't won the lotto yet, so I have to acquire gear peice at a time:(

Soon enough though, my friend. Soon enough.

You're just not waiting long enough. During the shaking, you're exposing more gas to the beer but it would take a lot of shaking to get 2 volumes into the beer in a couple hours. Even letting it sit overnight at 35psi only gets you half way there.

To fully carbonate by shaking, you have to shake until the CO2 stops flowing. Shake for five minutes, then listen for flow, repeat. Plan on 5-10 repeats, until there is no flow at all.

Back