No Activity Lacto Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoryno7

Reaction score
I made two lacto starters, both in separate 1/2 gallon containers of pasteurized, no preservative apple juice. In one I put a vial of WLP677 and in the other I put a handful of grain. I used my temp controller and ferm wrap to hold them at 113 for the past 6 days. The plan is to makea split batch of berliner weisse, 3 gallons with each starter and a pitch of US-05

The problem is that there is absolutely no visible activity in the starters after 6 days. Is this normal?

I have read that lacto fermentation should have thick white krausen, bt that was in wort. Should I make my beer, pitch the starters, and hope to get some sourness, or should I start over with a new starter?

WLP677 created a white foamy head in my Berliner when I pitched a vial directly into the fermenter and left it at ambient temps for 7 days (85F-95F), but not all strains of Lacto will do that. What does it taste like?

Tastes like apple juice. No sourness. Time to try again. I think I'll do a low gravity wort starter this time.

Back