Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of mine got 1st. 1st comp ever entered. Now I just need to make time to brew soon. Needs time to lager.

Anyone ever enter beer from the same batch if your second batch didn't come out good?

Both of my Finals medals were first round lagers that I did not rebrew.

Both of my Finals medals were first round lagers that I did not rebrew.

I think my plan right now is to "try" to rebrew if I have time. The keg probably has 1/8 left so I will need more for myself anyway. If I can brew, great. If not, I think this batch will still be good. I would like to correct the couple mistakes I made and hopefully make a better beer but I can't be mad at the score I already got. I'm just not sure it will be good enough to medal in the final round.

Anyone know what's going on with the Philly and NYC results still waiting to be posted?

As mentioned above...NYC did not finish judging and a email was sent out to judges looking to finish. A guy in my club here in Mass even got emails asking to come help finish NYC. From a post on Reddit, Saisons, Wood aged and Smoked beers are the ones that were not finished yet. Pretty much same with Philly, they did not finish the weekend of the 7th so did more last weekend. Whether they are 100% complete only time will tell.

For those still waiting for results, good luck and try to have patience. I recall waiting damn near three weeks for the St Louis results last year. The anticipation sucks, but sometimes it takes a little longer than expected.

8/10 regions finished during their scheduled weekend, with NYC finishing last night.
I suspect we'll see some results from the second weekend of regions released today. Good luck to everyone.
Cheers--

I’m still confused...if they have finished the judging at all the sites, why are they still saying judging entries?

I’m still confused...if they have finished the judging at all the sites, why are they still saying judging entries?
First of all no one said all sites were finished. Secondly, forget about what the website says. When it says "judging" when said site's results have been posted you know it is not up to date.

9/12 have definitely finished. Philly hopefully did by tonight too. KC will finish tomorrow, hopefully Chicago too.

Philly still not done...email asking for help came last night. They have two big tables left and are trying to finish today.

I would go help if I wasn’t already committed...bummer :(

Philly still not done...email asking for help came last night. They have two big tables left and are trying to finish today.

I would go help if I wasn’t already committed...bummer :(

Do you happen to know which tables?

Wow the AHA really needs to get their stuff together. They are paid in dues and entry fees but these two sites seem completely unorganized and poorly planned.

Wow the AHA really needs to get their stuff together. They are paid in dues and entry fees but these two sites seem completely unorganized and poorly planned.
I am trying to be patient and I get that they have an issue getting judges. That being said, I am frustrated because they sent an email a week ago saying judging finished and now that appears to be false. Just own up to it and send an email explaining the delay instead of trying to cover it up and leaving everyone wondering what's going on.

Now all regions besides Philly/nyc are posted :mad: besides the Kansas City and Chicago obviously because they’re judging today.

Comments on lack of organization of a fully volunteer efforts always make me roll my eyes. I've taken 3 days of vacation, driven 3 hours each way twice, 3 nights in hotel, 4 days boarding my dog, out hundreds of dollars, and I do it every year because this competition is important to me.
Want more entries, in a more timely manner? Become a judge. Become a steward.
Oh, competitions should make sure they have enough volunteers? Yeah, in a perfect world. These regions committed to this several months ago. Try getting several dozen volunteers who all said yes several months ago to all show up. People just cancel last minute, or worse just don't show without any notice.
Or we could have people off the street with little to no knowledge about beer, mead, cider? C'mon.

That’s true, fair and I don’t disagree with a bit of it. I just ask that AHA simply keep the site update to reflect that.

I've never entered a competition before. What is a good score to have for a final round beer? Just curious how my 1st round score would do in the final round.

Score doesn’t matter in either round. The best/better beers of the flight go to mini best of show where scores are put aside and the best 3 beers on taste alone are selected for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Same with the final round. That being said upper 30s low 40s would be great scores.

That’s true, fair and I don’t disagree with a bit of it. I just ask that AHA simply keep the site update to reflect that.

The AHA relies on the local site coordinators to provide the information. If there's no new information, the Aha has no reason to update the site.

Score doesn’t matter in either round. The best/better beers of the flight go to mini best of show where scores are put aside and the best 3 beers on taste alone are selected for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Same with the final round. That being said upper 30s low 40s would be great scores.

Oh that is interesting. Always thought the beers were tasted, scored and then ranked based on score. I like the blind no score judging. I find you get more real rankings instead of trying to be 100% by the book.

That being said upper 30s low 40s would be great scores.

Very cool, thanks

Philly DID finish, yes.

Edit - KC done, CHI doing final mini-BOS soon I'm told.

Last edited:
Looks like no need to rebrew for me. I'll be curious to see my scores. I know my IPA turned into a diacetyl bomb, so that'll probably be a 13.

I thought my blonde ale was outstanding and very much to style, but the style doesn't lend itself to standing out. As my first competition, I didn't know it would be lumped in with other categories. At least that's what I assume since they have the winners of the Pale American Beer as 1D, 18A (my category) and 1A.

I'll definitely put more thought into the categories I enter next year knowing that my beer may be judged against beers from other categories. I thought I'd only be judged against other blonde ales.

So, do they post the scoresheets? If so, how long does it take for that usually?
I think it said the scoresheets would be e-mailed by the end of this week (keep an eye on your spam filter too as sometimes stuff like that gets sidetracked into your junk folder.)

I managed to get 2 through. Dark Mild and Helles Export. Was hoping my Kolsch would make it - I thought it was pretty good. I knew my pilsner was borderline at best - a touch grassy.

Every competition has Categories and subcategories within it. Blonde is a subcategory. You are almost always judged against several subcategories within a larger category. NHC does not use the standard category/subcategories either - and they tweak them from year to year.... They do that so that they can somewhat balance out the # of entries in each category going head to head. In the past you might have 800 entries in the IPA category or the stout category and 100-200 in some light lager category...... so, that is why you see something like a kolsch or american wheat beer or blonde ale maybe getting moved in with other types of light beers instead.

I think it said the scoresheets would be e-mailed by the end of this week (keep an eye on your spam filter too as sometimes stuff like that gets sidetracked into your junk folder.)

I managed to get 2 through. Dark Mild and Helles Export. Was hoping my Kolsch would make it - I thought it was pretty good. I knew my pilsner was borderline at best - a touch grassy.

Every competition has Categories and subcategories within it. Blonde is a subcategory. You are almost always judged against several subcategories within a larger category. NHC does not use the standard category/subcategories either - and they tweak them from year to year.... They do that so that they can somewhat balance out the # of entries in each category going head to head. In the past you might have 800 entries in the IPA category or the stout category and 100-200 in some light lager category...... so, that is why you see something like a kolsch or american wheat beer or blonde ale maybe getting moved in with other types of light beers instead.

Congrats on getting two through.

Back