NHC 2015 - Registration Open

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone posted that it was the 27th, but I do not think that is correct or it must have changed. The FAQ say the window is the 18th-2nd.

Q: When are the entries due for the Final Round?

A: Anytime between Monday, May 18th and Tuesday, June 2, 2015.

They will get about ~750 entries so that windows is just about right.

I need to ship on the 29th using 2day service. I need every day in the keg possible.

My wife will be in San Diego on the 1st, So I'm hoping she can drop off in person.

Sweet. Sounds like they did extend it, because initially it was the 27th. Those extra 6 days will help me, too.

I don't understand this. Can someone please explain. Does a beer have to score higher than 34 to be eligible for a gold metal? I understand that a beer must score at least a 30 in order to receive a metal and move on but was not aware that there are further restrictions. Thx

There was a poster here who mentioned a few years ago finishing first place in the 2nd round of NHC in category 1, but won a silver because he/she scored something like a 35 in the final round, but won the mini-BOS. The score didn't qualify for gold, so gold wasn't awarded. That doesn't mean that there weren't several other 40+ beers that moved into the mini-BOS. Maybe bottle variation caused the first beer to be a 35, but the second would have scored a 45 (who knows). Either way, a good beer may have missed out on a bronze medal just because the beer that was picked first in the mini-BOS had scored only a 35.

There was a poster here who mentioned a few years ago finishing first place in the 2nd round of NHC in category 1, but won a silver because he/she scored something like a 35 in the final round, but won the mini-BOS. The score didn't qualify for gold, so gold wasn't awarded. That doesn't mean that there weren't several other 40+ beers that moved into the mini-BOS. Maybe bottle variation caused the first beer to be a 35, but the second would have scored a 45 (who knows). Either way, a good beer may have missed out on a bronze medal just because the beer that was picked first in the mini-BOS had scored only a 35.

The rules may have changed in the last few years, because that stipulation is absolutely nowhere in the rules. I think I remember seeing it in there a few years ago, but it's not in there now...

The rules may have changed in the last few years, because that stipulation is absolutely nowhere in the rules. I think I remember seeing it in there a few years ago, but it's not in there now...

I have no idea what's in the rules, but it must be a problem when a beer scores in the low 30's, but wins the mini-BOS.

I have no idea what's in the rules, but it must be a problem when a beer scores in the low 30's, but wins the mini-BOS.

But isn't advancement to mini-BOS based lareely on scores?

If a low 30s goes to mini-BOS, there probably aren't many (if any) 40+ beers going...

But isn't advancement to mini-BOS based lareely on scores?

If a low 30s goes to mini-BOS, there probably aren't many (if any) 40+ beers going...

Or a set of judges on that particular flight aren't really competent in the style they're judging.

Example (not NHC but relevant nonetheless): I enter my Mild in a rather large comp. It scores a 30. Another Mild, same flight of judges, scores 31, and that one gets advanced to mini-BOS. It then takes first place in the category, and then 2nd place in overall BOS. Conclusion: it wasn't that the flight was bad, or that our particular two beers were bad, but the judges weren't familiar with the style, and unfairly harshly judged the beers, where more competent/familiar judges in mini-BOS and BOS overall, accurately judged them.

That's why I say I oppose any limit placed on individual scores, on the high end to advance, or the low end to NOT advance.

I've used them; I pretty much just use Firestone Walker bottles, in part because they're easier to ship but also because they stack better (in my chest freezer).

Anyone else notice that QUAFF appears to be in the lead for Club of the Year over the Brewing Network (Club)? I always like rooting for an underdog, but it looks like it may actually happen this year.

I've been busy with other things and haven't kept up with this thread. Have the 1st round scores been posted? My entries went to Austin but I haven't received scoresheets yet nor are my scores on the competition website.

I've been busy with other things and haven't kept up with this thread. Have the 1st round scores been posted? My entries went to Austin but I haven't received scoresheets yet nor are my scores on the competition website.

Haven't been posted to the competition site yet, but I received scoresheets a couple weeks ago. You may want to contact Neil to verify they had your correct address.

It's awesome to have the support! We gave it a good run last year, but we've seen some newer names advancing this year - I'm one of the newer guys. :)
Hopefully we make a good showing in the finals! It would be great to take back the title in our hometown!

Also got my Sacramento scoresheets in the mail today. Bummed that my Premium American Lager did not move on with a 41.5 (very excited to see that Annie Johnson scored my lager a 41!), but very excited that my Weizen and Blueberry Cider advanced!

Last edited:
Congrats to all advancers. Keep me posted if you guys get info on shipping location and labels. Fermentors are kicking. Going SD-style IPA given the locale.

I just noticed I had info on the competition website. My results and info are in PDFs. Here's what it lists for shipping info. Check the site if you haven't gotten an email yet.

Address your shipment to:
AleSmith Brewing
9990 AleSmith Court
San Diego, CA 92126

I just noticed I had info on the competition website. My results and info are in PDFs. Here's what it lists for shipping info. Check the site if you haven't gotten an email yet.

Address your shipment to:
AleSmith Brewing
9990 AleSmith Court
San Diego, CA 92126

Yep, scores and certificates are posted. @Darwin18

That being said, that's probably the shipping location, but bottle labels don't appear to be posted yet, so I wouldn't go shipping just yet.

Edit: oops take that back since I didn't go to the http://www.brewingcompetition.com/final page.

I saw on the comp page I got a 36.5. Not to good. Can't read the comments till I get it in mail.

What? 36.5 is a very good beer. That being said, all you can hope for is mini-BOS. From there, it's a crapshoot. I had a 43 hit mini-BOS and go nowhere. I also know that there was a 49 in another category that also went nowhere.

I got my score sheets today in the mail as well, after waiting impatiently for two weeks.

I'm confused because the cover sheet doesn't indicate I made the mini BOS but the competition website indicates a green check mark under mini BOS.

FAQ from the NHC site...

Q: What is the shipping address for the Final Round?

A: If your First Round entry is advancing to the Final Round, information on where and when to send Final Round entries will be included with your letter and certificate on the National Homebrew Competition website beginning May 1, 2015.

I got my score sheets today in the mail as well, after waiting impatiently for two weeks.

I'm confused because the cover sheet doesn't indicate I made the mini BOS but the competition website indicates a green check mark under mini BOS.

They've never marked mine. I think they just use the score, anything over 30.

So looking at the shipping address that they provide UPS can't find it to confirm that it's a commercial address. It's a huge difference in price ($40)

AleSmith Brewing Company
9990 AleSmith Court
San Diego, CA 92126
USA

Google maps shows it as
AleSmith Brewing Company
9368 Cabot Dr
San Diego, CA 92126

So looking at the shipping address that they provide UPS can't find it to confirm that it's a commercial address. It's a huge difference in price ($40)

AleSmith Brewing Company
9990 AleSmith Court
San Diego, CA 92126
USA

Google maps shows it as
AleSmith Brewing Company
9368 Cabot Dr
San Diego, CA 92126

I heard somewhere that Alesmith is moving and sold it's old location and equipment to another brewery. I was out there in February and Alesmith was on Cabot Drive, but it's possible the new address is the new location. Just a guess.

Thanks Toby!

My entries scored the following:

- Lite Lager - 32
- Spruce Pale Ale - 38 - Went to Mini-BOS
- Dark American Lager - 27 (Not surprised)

All in all solid scores so I'm happy with those. Good to luck to everyone who won and advanced.

Anyone successfully get their recipe information in? Went through all the trouble of putting it in and submitted, and it just gave me some error code.

They've never marked mine. I think they just use the score, anything over 30.

No, that's not so. We had one flight where we only sent one, as was the only beer that we felt should move on. It's true that we looked at the two highest scores for all the flights to choose which ones to move on, but in one case we only sent one and I'm certain the second scored over 30. In the other cases, we had several beers that scored over 30, and only two could move on.

In order to move to mini-BOS, it has to be over 30 and one of the best beers of the flight, at least in the top two.

No, that's not so. We had one flight where we only sent one, as was the only beer that we felt should move on. It's true that we looked at the two highest scores for all the flights to choose which ones to move on, but in one case we only sent one and I'm certain the second scored over 30. In the other cases, we had several beers that scored over 30, and only two could move on.

In order to move to mini-BOS, it has to be over 30 and one of the best beers of the flight, at least in the top two.

Thanks for the info and sorry for the confusion :) That makes me feel better 3 of 4 went to mini-BOS!

Back