Newbie to homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtlangst

Reaction score
I have never brewed beer and want to do biab starting with one gallon then no more than 2.5 gal batches. Is there a link somewhere that spells out all the steps to go from start With nothing to finish drinking the beer. The whole process?

YouTube is resource also

Basics:
1) Sanitation.
2) Proper yeast fermentation temperature and pitch rate.
3) Good water chemistry/pH.
4) Balanced recipes, at least to start.
5) Did I mention sanitation?

Things to ponder. My 3gal batch setup. Induction top/5gal kettle. 5gal mash tun. Converted Homer buckets for fermentation. Chest freezer and Inkbird temp controller. Some water chemistry/ other vital goodies. Something to cool your wort in..
Oh, and welcome to the Funny Farm!

IMG_20191228_130453.jpeg
IMG_20191228_130502.jpeg
IMG_20191228_130515.jpeg
IMG_20191228_130520_MP.jpeg
IMG_20191228_130728.jpeg
IMG_20191228_130701.jpeg
IMG_20191228_130756.jpeg
Image%20(27).jpeg

Last edited:
I have never brewed beer and want to do biab starting with one gallon then no more than 2.5 gal batches. Is there a link somewhere that spells out all the steps to go from start With nothing to finish drinking the beer. The whole process? [emphasis added]

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/ can get you started on the process. @PianoMan 's photos are good as well! If you are looking for a 2nd opinion, Northern Brewer sells 3 gal BIAB kits - apparently 3 gal BIAB batches work well with 5 gal extract+steep equipment.

In the "buy once, cry once, read once", consider skipping howtobrew.com and buying the 4th edition of "How To Brew".

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/ can get you started on the process. @PianoMan 's photos are good as well! If you are looking for a 2nd opinion, Northern Brewer sells 3 gal BIAB kits - apparently 3 gal BIAB batches work well with 5 gal extract+steep equipment.

In the "buy once, cry once, read once", consider skipping howtobrew.com and buying the 4th edition of "How To Brew".

I started with "How to Brew" myself. I still use it as a reference guide.

I'm not 100% sure why, but I prefer white, BPA free Tractor Supply Buckets to orange home depot buckets. Even for grain storage.

Maybe the dye in those orange buckets are the reason. I wouldn't use the dyed ones either.

I think they are grade 2 polyethylene which is generally food grade but they are not food grade because of the coloring.

All the Best,
D. White

Back