Newbie Question: Making Apfelwine in Jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsh22

Reaction score
Is it possible to make apfelwine in the one gallon jugs the juice comes in? And what I mean by that is just taking some juice or cider out, adding the yeast and sugar, putting an airlock on it and letting it go.

Also, if its pasteurized I shouldn't have to sanitize the jug, just the funnel and airlock correct?

I recall someone posting their experience doing that very thing a week ago or so. Yes, I think it should be possible, and you should be fine just sanitizing the funnel, airlock, etc.

ok, cool! Just picked up some dextrose, an airlock and bung, and some EC-1118 :p I will post about how it turns out

I've been doing test batches exactly like this. I had about 7 or 8 going at once. My wife is very particular about her cider, so I'm having her taste each one until I find what she likes. After that I get to drink all the ones she doesn't like! Win - win if you ask me.

Back