newbie/nob help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustRod

Reaction score
ok i guess i left a batch of brew in a primary fermenter pail from xmass
so can i dump out old beer and clean the pail with oxi clean then sanitize? and reuse?

how much sugar do i need to prime each 740/750ml bottle?

thanks for any help

Yep, fermenters are re-usable, unscented oxyclean is good stuff.

Sample your brew, maybe a few extra months of bulk aging was just what it needed!

You can dump the old beer and clean out the bucket really good, just be careful to not put any scratches or take any chunks out of the plastic. As far as how much sugar you need, I suggest you check out this thread for some great information:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=242394

thanks
i dump out the old beer. and it clean up real nice. wash out easy with hot water
i left star sand in the pail for the night

thanks
i dump out the old beer. and it clean up real nice. wash out easy with hot water
i left star sand in the pail for the night

You should have used a cleanser, not just hot water. PBW (powdered brewers wash) and Oxyclean both have worked well in my experience. I use PBW on brew day, and Oxyclean afterward to clean my equipment before I store them away.

I would have filled your bucket with water and a big scoop of Oxyclean Free (the green lid), stirred it up, and left that for a few hours..I've left it like that overnight to no ill effects.

THEN after you dump your cleanser out of the bucket, rinse it out really well with water. Then you can sanitize. There's no need (from my experience anyway) to leave sanitizer in the bucket overnight. Star San only needs about 30 seconds of contact to work properly. Plus, you're going to have to sanitize again before you use your bucket again.

Back