Newbie Kegger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rzar

Reaction score
I kegged my first batch on Sunday. I am seeking a little bit of guidance.

This is the procedure I followed:

1. Sanitized keg and everything involved. Brought it up to pressure while sanitizer was in to check for leaks.
2. Racked directly into keg from secondary
3. Brought keg up to 25 PSI. Laid it on its side, rolled the keg back and forth smoothly for 5 minutes while under 25 PSI. (Per local home brew store instructions).
4. Brought down pressure to 12 PSI. Bleed off pressure to equalize it.
5. I was going to put this in my garage fridge but discovered it was not working. So I stored it in my hall closet at room temperature, 71 degrees, still at 12 PSI.
6. Garage fridge fixed, moved it into there this morning still at 12 PSI. Fridge was at 46 deg this morning. I understand I have to adjust the PSI for temp and style of beer.

My concern, i have been reading about the kegging process. I keep seeing "purge" the air. at the beginning I did not purge the air in the way I have read about. (Bring up to pressure, bleed, repeat 3 times.) If I don't purge the air will it spoil the beer, or does it just slow carbing?

Any other advice based on my process?

Yeah I see 2 issues with your process. The first is always purge!! The second is that if you are going to force keg make sure to get the beer first. The CO2 will go into solution much better

Thanks for your help. Will the oxidized beer be totally undrinkable? Would I be able to taste it now, or is it a long process?

The beer won't last as long as it would have otherwise, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if you plan on drinking it relatively quickly. I know my first keg didn't last very long at all, so it shouldn't be a concern.

Back