Newbie in Seattle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcaustin

Reaction score
Back in college, my roommate and I started brewing with a Mr. Beer... I've been wanting to try brewing again, but this time go with an actual kit instead of the Mr. Beer. I'm going to be buying a starter kit within th enext week or two and get to work.

I'm sure I'll have some questions later, but for now, I'm learning lots from the existing posts!

Austin

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
Welcome to the forum. Have you checked out: http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

Feel free to ask questions. Lots of friendly types on this forum full of info.

BTW, what kit did you purchase?

Yep, I've been working my way through howtobrew.com, and I'm mostly reading through all of the opinions regarding what I actually need to get started. Right now I'm thinking about one of the intermediate kits from Midwest.

Austin

Welcome! Up there in the PNW you have the freshest hops availiable. Not to mention great weather for growing your own.

Good luck!

Ok, I guess I'll start my question asking now...

Midwest offers their intermediate kit with either glass carboys or better bottles. Is one or the other better for a beginner?

Thanks,

Austin

Glass is heavier but way more substantial and I have never personally broken one. I think their pretty tough!!!!

Thanks Brewtopia and Smogman! I'll go with the glass carboys. It looks like the shipping is the same for either option oddly.

Ok, last question before I order... Yeast... Dry, Smack Pack or Liquid? I've read that the dry yeast can yield inconsistent flavors. Is there any reason that a beginner shouldn't use the smack packs?

Austin

I'd definitely go with the Wyeast smack pack or the White Labs liquid strains. Much more variety in the strains available and unless you are brewing a beer with a very high SG, I find that the amount of viable yeast in a 125ml smack pack is enough to innoculate a 5 gallon batch. I consistently pitch directly from the pack and get active fermentation within the first 4-6 hours.

I ordered my equipjment the other day and received my tracking number yesterday afternoon... Scheduled for delivery on 11/4!

I'll be starting with a wheat beer and I went ahead and got the 125mL smack pack for my yeast.

Can't wait!

Austin

Well my kit came early Saturday morning, and I brewed my first batch yesterday afternoon, a Cherry Wheat. I believe that everything went pretty well. As of this morning, I have some krausen forming in my primary and its bubbling away.

I forgot to take a hydrometer reading before pitching the yeast, so then just figured I'd skip it all together at that point. I'm excited to try it when it's ready.

Hydrometer measurements aren't neccesary, but it will give you a little more info on your beer. Midwest has good brewing instructions in their kits. just follow the instructions and you will be fine. Welcome to the wonderful world of brewing.

Back