Newbie here!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it will continue to darken as it cools,

@fourfarthing LOL, it was a RYE saison, with a lime...and i saw he wanted to know if he had to mash or steep the rye....i was giving an option for a steeping method that would be 10 times more time consuming then a partial mash in a grain bag....just to throw it out there.....IslandLizard said it couldn't be done! ;)

at least that's the way i remember it.....

you're right though, as sherlock would say "back to the topic at hand!" :D

@fourfarthing LOL, it was a RYE saison, with a lime...and i saw he wanted to know if he had to mash or steep the rye....i was giving an option for a steeping method that would be 10 times more time consuming then a partial mash in a grain bag....just to throw it out there.....IslandLizard said it couldn't be done! ;)

at least that's the way i remember it.....

you're right though, as sherlock would say "back to the topic at hand!" :D

As long as we avoid home malting we are in better shape :)

I brew a nice Saison and have won a few awards. I keep it simple. I'm an AG brewer but you can get the same results with DME. I use pilsner malt with a touch of Munich for some color and to bump the flavor. I don't add any herbs or spices. I like WY3711 but there are several great yeasts that give different flavor characteristics. Find one or more that you like. I stay in the middle of the temperature range for fermentation. As for water the brewer that made the DME already put everything in it and it has been condensed like everything else so RO water should be good. Ensure fermentation is complete before bottle conditioning. Also, you can use sugar to carbonate or DME to influence body one way or the other. When I bottle condition I put the bottles in a box and set them in a spare bathtub just to be safe. Have fun.

Last edited:
looking at this and this feels almost exactly how i imagine my first one will go. may try using the ratios of this one and just sub LME Rye for the Extra Light, and use DME Light or Extra light instead of the amber. and the honey instead of the candi syrup perhaps? maybe substitute Mandarina Bavaria for the Chinook.
You got to understand beer styles, recipe building, and "pre-visualize" outcome before trying to tweak existing recipes or substitute ingredients at will. The combination of all ingredients makes every beer unique, which is compounded by process variations.

Anyone know if Honey can be subbed for Candi Syrup evenly or what?
Candi syrups comes in different colors, from nearly clear to dark toffee syrup. Candi syrup and honey taste very differently. Except for the lightest candi syrups, there's really no comparison aside from both being sweet and fermenting out almost completely. That's why it's so difficult to retain honey flavor/character in beer, most of what makes honey taste like honey ferments out. Some residual sweetness and certain malts help accentuating that subtle flavor.

Putting "Honey" in the beer's name or description has probably more effect than adding a pound or 2 of it. You only need to add a tablespoon of honey to call it that. ;)

Some brewers just add (plain) table sugar instead of light Candi syrups, at 1/10 of the cost. Instead of honey, the same, plus some Honey malt and light crystal.

Back